Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Next Step" for Club Rugby in WA

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by albert.ishak View Post
    i think we should have a promotion and relegation like EPL, limiting 8 teams in premier grade.
    I think we should have a Sky Sports TV deal like the EPL and each of the clubs can have 600 million pounds a season. Problem solved. I should go into politics. Hmmm maybe I can get Sky sports to sponsor the MES redevelopment.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, maybe not quite as lofty as that, but how can NTRU get a match of the round on ABC TV and we can't?
    They have a match on at the same time slot that WA has WAFL.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    the tv deal sounds good. It can draw more attention to the game. if WAFL can, why we can't??

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    dont forget abc2 shows or has shown qld premier league and nsw shute shield late at night.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    For those who get it

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    actually, i just checked. this year, non-wa places (or "national" at least) has shute on abc1 at 3pm saturdays.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, that's the normal NSW ABC TV time.
    If I can get my dish running again I can get that.
    Currently have zero TV, apart from at the mine for Rugby I haven't watched TV all year up here....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    a) invest money into juniors. better coaches etc. therefore allowing better facillities to play at. move away from britannia
    b)get club rugby into all schools. including psa. Retaining schoolboy age players is important and currently a pretty poor retention rate. Set up clubs with feeder schools.
    c) get rugby into the schools system.

dont look at a super 8 or what ever. players arent paid they will just change clubs if they are relegated.

In order for a strong senior competition the junior system must develop first. This will come from getting rugby into schools like GAFL is or netball.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting - I would have said get the sport out of relying on the schools. Cricket is as successful as it is because every kid with an interest can stroll down to a local team; it doesn't matter what school they attend. We had a great school team, but that was because we all played in the same district club - school cricket was basically just a bit of fun. Other schools had no team at all, in a sport that has a profile Union can only dream about. We can't force the schools to do anything - better we make the opportunity available to anyone.

But yeah, got to get the profile up with the kids and foster their enthusiasm. Does tend to bring things back to getting some FTA vision though, to compete with the endless barrage of AFL.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc View Post
    a)

dont look at a super 8 or what ever. players arent paid they will just change clubs if they are relegated.
    Ah, you see pruc, you have just revealed my evil scheme. By relegating the appropriate clubs, namely Soaks and Nedlands, we destroy them forever!!

Hoohoo haha hoohoo (read maniacal laughter)

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Interesting - I would have said get the sport out of relying on the schools. Cricket is as successful as it is because every kid with an interest can stroll down to a local team; it doesn't matter what school they attend. We had a great school team, but that was because we all played in the same district club - school cricket was basically just a bit of fun. Other schools had no team at all, in a sport that has a profile Union can only dream about. We can't force the schools to do anything - better we make the opportunity available to anyone.
    you miss understood me. AFL and netball are played by every primary school across WA public or private system. RugbyWA is making steps with the smarter then smoking 7's competition but basically they need to get into the schools through community development officers going and running clinics. As a primary school kid in my time i would have done over 10 footy clinics 5ish cricket clinics, 3 teeball clinics 0 rugby clinics. Kids are easy to mould, take me it took me until i was 11 to pick up a rugby ball yet my old man played rugby all his life.

If you dont get the sport in the schools kids will stay mainstream with their sports. People stay with the familiar, its human nature. Non mainstream sports need to work twice as hard to get into schools and promote the sport.

vCash
    -Get out to the country areas, don't just limit club rugby to the metropolitan area. Obviously there are a lot of significant fees associated with that though, so play exhibition matches in rural/remote places and spread the word.
    -Make competition more fierce, have a second tier so that the top 8 teams in the State play off and the other however many also play off in teh second tier. Then at the end of the season, the winner of the second tier that is elevated to the top level and the loser in the top level is demoted.
    -Get more Indigenous players involved - the Ella brothers are successful Inidigenous players and Kurtley Beale is coming through the ranks, for other countries some of their most successful & prolific players are Indigenous.
    -Invest in creating a sustainable future for rugby union in WA and promoting it better.
    -Make rugby equally as compulsory as AFL is in schools. There are variations of the game to suit children and different people so use it and get into it.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Ah, you see pruc, you have just revealed my evil scheme. By relegating the appropriate clubs, namely Soaks and Nedlands, we destroy them forever!!

Hoohoo haha hoohoo (read maniacal laughter)
    why do that
    id much rather destroy them on the field=]

but i like your thinking while ur at it get rid of southern lions

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    -Get out to the country areas, don't just limit club rugby to the metropolitan area. Obviously there are a lot of significant fees associated with that though, so play exhibition matches in rural/remote places and spread the word.
    -Make competition more fierce, have a second tier so that the top 8 teams in the State play off and the other however many also play off in the second tier. Then at the end of the season, the winner of the second tier that is elevated to the top level and the loser in the top level is demoted.
    -Get more Indigenous players involved - the Ella brothers are successful Inidigenous players and Kurtley Beale is coming through the ranks, for other countries some of their most successful & prolific players are Indigenous.
    -Invest in creating a sustainable future for rugby union in WA and promoting it better.
    -Make rugby equally as compulsory as AFL is in schools. There are variations of the game to suit children and different people so use it and get into it.
    2nd tier comp is unsustainable in WA at this current time.
    Country as good as it sounds is a lost course. Out of some 150 boarders at my school a total of 4 play rugby. With the rest basically footy players.

Another idea is to work with touchwest and get links with touch clubs and union clubs therefore benefiting both sports

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Country as good as it sounds is a lost course. Out of some 150 boarders at my school a total of 4 play rugby. With the rest basically footy players.

Another idea is to work with touchwest and get links with touch clubs and union clubs therefore benefiting both sports
    Maybe not lost cause, but certainly more problematic in terms of numbers and distances. So yeah, maybe touch and the other short forms on a carnival basis if regular competition is difficult?

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I think the main reason for that is it's all that's on offer where they grew up. Also when they leave school they would have to stay in Perth to continue playing. Aussie Rules is played in nearly every country town or center, so for social contact with similar aged people one needs to be involved in the sports available.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast