Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The "Next Step" for Club Rugby in WA

Apprentice
    vCash
    Dude no one wants 28 weeks of rugby mate keep it fcukin simple

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Aswell as forming the existing clubs into stronger districts similar to the WAFL each District side should either align themselves with a WA Country/NT clubs. Part of this would also include developing the game not only in their districts but in the Country to develop the potential player bases. Each club they establish the Premier Club has exclusive rights to any talent that it may produce.

With getting the game into more schools. Getting it into the school system could have a remarkable flow on effect to the clubs. It relatively simple. 1 as many schools as possible have clinics run in them each year. Establish 7's for years 3&4, 10's for years 5.6 & 7 and 15 a side for all ages above.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Any truth in the rumour (that I just created) that Wests are risking relegation...
    Against Paly their 2nds Coach told me he had had something nineteen of that Firsts team in his Seconds at some stage during the season.
    Good for future development I guess.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I wouldn't have thought so Burgs.

I spoke to one of their senior members at that match and I think you'll find they will be looking at a more realistic balance between local and imported players next season.

Especially now that they won't have some of the cream of WA's schoolboy talent handed to them on a plate through Aranmore College.

Who would replace them anyway. Arks possibly. Other than that?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You may have missed the bit in parenthesis Fulv?
    Be interested in the regular club members opinions as to who would be “next in line” though, perhaps a strong argument for Joondalup?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Burgs, you forget that I'm just as big a stirrer as you are ...

vCash
    ...and don't forget Wests caned Joondalup in a pre-season curtain raiser at Subi.

Arks have previously been invited to field a premier grade side but declined the offer.

Wests won't get relegated.

Rookie
    vCash
    Lets be realistic. Wests will not be relegated. They are going through a bad patch (maybe read: sponsors money not forthcoming for overseas players) but they will bounce back.
    As Palmyra have done (maybe read: sponsors money forthcoming for players)
    It took the Roo Dogs several years and a lot of hard work (Yes: we now have sponsors money) to get out of the old District Comp into what is now the Premier Comp and that included battling RugbyWA promises (read lies) of a proper promotion/relegation system.
    Things have changed greatly since then but realistically no club outside the present Premier Grade clubs have the necessary to move up and rumours suggest things are not all sweetness and light at the Brothers right now either.
    Let's look back at a couple of things Fulvio said a few months ago:
    *I think eight metropolitan clubs, strategically placed in catchment areas, is the way to go. These clubs could increase their number of teams to include extra players, and they would be economically more viable, would spread the coaching pool more beneficially and would be stronger in all grades.
    *I'm sorry if this offends, but it is time RugbyWA got real about the problem and began to address it.
    *If you want me to be blunt, clubs like Southern Lions, Mandurah, Joondalup, North Coast, Midland, ARKS and Curtin are superflous to needs.
    As I said before.
    Well said Fulvio

Last edited by paul; 14-06-09 at 18:28.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Let's look back at a couple of things Fulvio said a few months ago:
    *I think eight metropolitan clubs, strategically placed in catchment areas, is the way to go. These clubs could increase their number of teams to include extra players, and they would be economically more viable, would spread the coaching pool more beneficially and would be stronger in all grades.
    *I'm sorry if this offends, but it is time RugbyWA got real about the problem and began to address it.
    *If you want me to be blunt, clubs like Southern Lions, Mandurah, Joondalup, North Coast, Midland, ARKS and Curtin are superflous to needs.
    As I said before.
    Well said Fulvio
    My thoughts exactly if you have not done so already have a read on the link below

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=21059

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

It is B(#L$(t to travel to a club that only have a 3rd and 4th grade team and play on a field that looks more like a sand pit than a rugby pitch with a "club room" with only 1 change room that must be shared between 4 teams And then you miss your club's Premier side game because they are playing on the other side of the city

Last edited by pieter blackie; 08-04-11 at 21:12.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Lets cut the bullshit Everyone but wa rugby knows it 8 teams 2 round robins (14 games) with the current finals system is the one and only option for rugby in wa to move foward and putting the remaining clubs in there own comp

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So which two go then?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    So which two go then?
    I say go with 10 but that is it te rest of the guys must join one of these clubs and thats it

Here is the current 10 sides with a Premier Grade side
    Wanneroo
    Kalamunda
    Perth Bayswater
    Nedlands
    Associates
    Rockingham
    West's Subiaco
    Cottesloe
    Palmyra
    University

Or let us say that you have to at least supply 4 senior sides, under 20's and a under 18's to be recognised as a Rugby Union Club playing in RUGBYWA competition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Or let us say that you have to at least supply 4 senior sides, under 20's and a under 18's to be recognised as a Rugby Union Club playing in RUGBYWA competition
    or maybe run Premier clubs in a fully self-contained premier comp with a second tier comp run exclusively amongst the others. First priority for inclusion as a Premier club is the ability to field the numbe rof teams you mention.

Maybe RugbyWA could run a promotion/relegation series as a Home & Away thing between the top two eligible sides in the second tier comp and the bottom two Premier sides......surely that'd keep everyone honest in Premier grade, if you don't perform, you risk relegation, If you can't sort yourself out and become competitive in the second tier, you stay there.

Dunno if it's fair, but it's an option.

C'mon the

vCash
    Good option Gigs but We must reduce the number of clubs By doing so you will have more members more teams so more fees
    Currently it looks like every man and his dog starting a club for what reason I do not know

I have to travel 20km to Baysies and 20km back home 2 times a week for training but that is not a reason to start another club where I stay

Rookie
    vCash
    GIGS
    If RugbyWA took up that suggestion...."maybe run Premier clubs in a fully self-contained premier comp with a second tier comp run exclusively amongst the others...." then it would be a return to the old District/Premier Comp days.
    Anyone who was around in those days would know how hard it was for the District Clubs to recruit and retain players.
    Lets face it. Why would a good player, unless loyal to his club, stay with one that is playing lower grade rugby when he could move to a Prem grade side.
    There has been a suggestion that the 3/4 grade clubs become feeders for the Premier Grade clubs in their areas.
    Sounds good on paper but realistically unworkable.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast