Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell big fan of Reds, still undecided on future

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell big fan of Reds, still undecided on future

• Justin Chadwick
    • March 31, 2009 - 5:32PM

Wallaby and Force player Drew Mitchell is thinking of heading east in 2010. Photo: Brendon Thorne

As speculation mounts that star Western Force back Drew Mitchell is headed to Queensland next season, the man at the centre of the tug-of-war admits he's a big fan of the Reds' exciting brand of Super 14 rugby.

The Reds have won just the two games this season but the fledgling squad, led by excitement machines Quade Cooper, Berrick Barnes and Digby Ioane, has caught the attention of Mitchell, who is out of contract at season's end.

Queensland are desperate to regain the services of Mitchell, who notched 35 caps for the Reds before moving to the Force at the end of 2006.

But the 25-year-old Wallaby, who can play either wing or fullback, insists he is yet to make a final decision on where his future lies and said all options were still on the table.

"I'm not any closer to coming up with a decision," Mitchell told AAP.

"It's quite a big decision for me and one that I won't be taking too lightly.
    "I'm certainly looking at all my options.

"It's a difficult time because it's my professional future, I just want to make the most informed decision as I can.

"I've got my parents coming over here this weekend so it will be a good time to sit down and have a proper chat, and then I'll sort of be closer to a decision.
    "As I said all along it's not something I really want to drag out.

"I don't want it to become a distraction.

"I guess the closer I get to a game the less I think about contracts because ultimately you don't want it to be affecting your performance.

"It's more so after the games I'll sit down and think about it."

The Force and Reds do battle at Subiaco Oval on Friday night and, in an ominous sign for the Force, Mitchell believed Queensland were a team on the rise.

"I've been pretty impressed," Mitchell said.

"I guess it's been evidenced that (coach) Phil Mooney's influence is really starting to come out on their style of play now.

"I guess it was always going to take a year or so to implement a new style of play and I guess it suits them very well.

"They've got some great playmakers in Berrick Barnes and Quade Cooper and some real spark out wide with Peter Hynes and Digby Ioane and they've been playing together for a longer period and it's starting to shine how well they know each other's games.

"With guys like Leroy Houston they are capable of those big blockbusting runs."
    Should Mitchell make the move back to Queensland, where he has extensive family, he would be an almost guaranteed starter over rugby league convert Mark McLinden at fullback.

But Mitchell's decision isn't the only thing the Force are sweating over, with the future of utility back James O'Connor also up in the air.

The Force are hoping to sign former Springboks and current Stormers flyhalf Peter Grant in order to entice O'Connor to stay.

O'Connor's aim is to eventually assume the playmaker role but the 18-year-old realises he may need to learn his trade at either inside centre or fullback first.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/mitc...v.html?page=-1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    NO DREW! Don't do it!

The reds are desperate for Drew? Whaaat? You have Digby and Hynes! True they weren't ON the wings last weekend, but still.

Weren't we trying to keep Drew AWAY from the media this week?

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

His parents are coming over! He can introduce me finally Hehe

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash

its been a while since he last wore the qld jersey, i personally would rather him stay in perth, i think his re-signing over there would contribute more to the game in australia then what it would if he were to sign with QLD.

Although a backline including Mitchell, Hynes, Ioane, Barnes and Cooper does impress me

vCash
    blue looks much better on him!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Drew grow some cojones and make a annoucement after the game( after consulting the folks), so as a club we can get on with it and grow for christs sake. Im over this shite. Either commit or on ya f..... bike.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    hasn't he left yet?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    nothing new in that report....

vCash
    The good news is that despite all the media comments over the past few weeks about how certain he was to leave, he is still undecided which means we are still in with a chance to keep him, hopefully we win and win well on the weekend and swing the balance in our favour

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    It's more important to keep Brownie. If Drew is impressed with the exciting reds backline perhaps he could have a go at replicating it at the Force!

vCash
    if he is thinking of the Reds then look out for an impressive performance this Friday as he is sure to want to prove his worth to his prospective employee

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfiep View Post
    if he is thinking of the Reds then look out for an impressive performance this Friday as he is sure to want to prove his worth to his prospective employee
    If this is true then it is truly sad.

Champion
    vCash
    If you have come to Perth for the Money, thanks for you time and your efforts and pack and go back to Amish land

If you want to be part of something special stay here......like Pocock has!

vCash
    cmon Drew, you had all last week to ask your mummy where you can play. Make a decision one way or the other!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea View Post
    Either commit or on ya f..... bike.
    Probably still holding out for a bit more money. Show him the door and spend it on a tighthead.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Guys, I personally think he's waiting because he hasn't consulted me OK? Give him a chance to ask me what I think about all of this.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast