Poll: Having Daylight Savings in Western Australia is:

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Having Daylight Savings in Western Australia is:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    to do it democratically though?
    Isn't that the point of Representative Democracy......you vote every 4 years for those who you feel will best serve your interests in Parliament

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    That would depend on what the lease they sign says

the lease that they have to sign to trade. so they dont really have a choice.

your next argument would be to go to a different centre. the lease would be roughly the same. if one centre is doing it the others do as well. i know 4 centres that do it.

the argument put forward is that closed stores look bad for the stores next to them. as a closed store is usually dark.

but if the shops were open a small buisness would generally find a way to operate. as they will make some money. even if they record a loss for that day. it would be fair to say the loss for the one day would be offset by the rest of the week.

if shops were open every sunday the trading would even out. saturdays wouldnt be so busy and sundays wouldnt be so dead. which is why is sunday trading is a good idea.

late night every ngiht isnt a good idea. because on thursday nights the shops become a hang out for teenagers. who probably should be studying. if there is extended trading every night it would be pretty safe to bet that some of them would end up at the shops more often than not on weeknights.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Isn't that the point of Representative Democracy......you vote every 4 years for those who you feel will best serve your interests in Parliament

yeah, but does that mean you agree with everything that said party does in the four years? we're not in a dictatorship jargs, you should be given a say on something that is going to change your everyday life. which we were.

you also havent taken into account emigration in the time between the election and a date of a referendum inbetween elections. they get a vote as well. or like i said, people who agree with the party at the time of the election but dont agree with the article in the referendum

vCash
    because on thursday nights the shops become a hang out for teenagers. who probably should be studying.

They are studying, how to smoke dope and be a general nuisance to normal people.

Play sport, you'll be too tired to hang around shopping centres.

The extra circulation of blood will be good for the emo's pale complexion as well.

vCash
    dont forget how to conceal knives. and comparing tags.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    the referendum on extended trading hours was from 9 until 9 every night and 7 days a week wasnt it?

no. it was watered down to be "do you think it will benefit the public?".

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    where's the other half of the question. the "IT" you speak of would have been explained on the ballot paper. something like: do you think it would have benifit the public to..."

vCash
    the lease that they have to sign to trade. so they dont really have a choice.

your next argument would be to go to a different centre. the lease would be roughly the same. if one centre is doing it the others do as well. i know 4 centres that do it.

the argument put forward is that closed stores look bad for the stores next to them. as a closed store is usually dark.

but if the shops were open a small buisness would generally find a way to operate. as they will make some money. even if they record a loss for that day. it would be fair to say the loss for the one day would be offset by the rest of the week.

if shops were open every sunday the trading would even out. saturdays wouldnt be so busy and sundays wouldnt be so dead. which is why is sunday trading is a good idea.

late night every ngiht isnt a good idea. because on thursday nights the shops become a hang out for teenagers. who probably should be studying. if there is extended trading every night it would be pretty safe to bet that some of them would end up at the shops more often than not on weeknights.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

yeah, but does that mean you agree with everything that said party does in the four years? we're not in a dictatorship jargs, you should be given a say on something that is going to change your everyday life. which we were.

you also havent taken into account emigration in the time between the election and a date of a referendum inbetween elections. they get a vote as well. or like i said, people who agree with the party at the time of the election but dont agree with the article in the referendum
    They are aware of the conditions when they sign the lease though which you have acknowledged so there is no possible arguement there.

Some stores have indicated that they will not stay open on weeknights, but that they want Sunday trading, which I agree with.

You jump to conclusions pretty fast given that I have not stated which de-regulation I am in favour of. Late night every night will probably only be seen by Coles/Woolworths.

Dickheads hanging around shooping centres are just that, Ignore them, but then again I don't usually go to the shops on Thursday nights as I am at Cricket Training or Indoor Cricket

Referendums are only required to change the Constitution.

Since when has a Parliament passed laws that have made everybody happy?

How will extended trading hours change your life directly?

vCash
    the question from the last referendum: Do you believe that the Western Australian community would benefit if trading hours in the Perth Metropolitan Area were extended to allow general retail shops to trade until 9 pm Monday to Friday?

the "IT" is explained

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

They are aware of the conditions when they sign the lease though which you have acknowledged so there is no possible arguement there.

Some stores have indicated that they will not stay open on weeknights, but that they want Sunday trading, which I agree with.

You jump to conclusions pretty fast given that I have not stated which de-regulation I am in favour of. Late night every night will probably only be seen by Coles/Woolworths.

Dickheads hanging around shooping centres are just that, Ignore them, but then again I don't usually go to the shops on Thursday nights as I am at Cricket Training or Indoor Cricket

Referendums are only required to change the Constitution.

Since when has a Parliament passed laws that have made everybody happy?

How will extended trading hours change your life directly?

the availability of shops, i'd say thats direct enough.

and everybody will never be happy with a parlimentary decision. but thats the point of a vote isnt it? to see what the majority of people are in favour of. the majority wins in a democratic society. everyone's vote is equal. so we each have an equal say. so if more people want option A than option B, option A will win

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

we're both arguing similar points. i like the idea of sunday trading. because it still gives retail workers a day off on the weekend. and it would ease the crowds in shops on saturdays. meaning if you wanted to go into k-mart you wouldnt have to wait 45 mins to be served. or there wouldnt be a line of trolleys 5 deep at coles. or whatever store you were in.

i'm just saying i dont like the idea of 9AM-9PM trading 5 days a week

oh, and mabye i didnt clarify my point about late night 5 days a week giving the centres more power. at the moment they cant force retail outlets until 9pm M-F. but if the trading hours were relaxed. the lease would give them that power. because it wouldnt have a clause in it saying "you are required to trade whenever buisness hours are in progress - unless they change the trading hours to allow for trading until 9PM monday to friday, then you can do what you want

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    The respectove parties should grow balls and make things such as DLS and extended trading hours election issues. If they get voted in, the have a mandate to enact teh changes, if they don't, they know to leave the status quo for now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The respectove parties should grow balls and make things such as DLS and extended trading hours election issues. If they get voted in, the have a mandate to enact the changes, if they don't, they know to leave the status quo for now.

pretty much.

vCash
    The idea that because you have the numbers means you have a mandate is flawed. However, I agree that balls are required.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    sorry i forgot about the second question on the last trading hours vote:

Do you believe that the Western Australian community would benefit if trading hours in the Perth Metropolitan Area were extended to allow general retail shops to trade for 6 hours on Sunday?

i think if that quesiton was asked again, the vote would come back in vavourable

vCash
    the availability of shops, i'd say thats direct enough.

and everybody will never be happy with a parlimentary decision. but thats the point of a vote isnt it? to see what the majority of people are in favour of. the majority wins in a democratic society. everyone's vote is equal. so we each have an equal say. so if more people want option A than option B, option A will win

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

we're both arguing similar points. i like the idea of sunday trading. because it still gives retail workers a day off on the weekend. and it would ease the crowds in shops on saturdays. meaning if you wanted to go into k-mart you wouldnt have to wait 45 mins to be served. or there wouldnt be a line of trolleys 5 deep at coles. or whatever store you were in.

i'm just saying i dont like the idea of 9AM-9PM trading 5 days a week
    The Availabilty of shops? what does that mean? It will impact your life in a negative way if the shops are open?

I agree with points regarding Sunday trading.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The respectove parties should grow balls and make things such as DLS and extended trading hours election issues. If they get voted in, the have a mandate to enact the changes, if they don't, they know to leave the status quo for now.
    Given that Government can just declare a concience vote (which saw the DLS trial get up and means that voting down party lines is not neccesary) turning this into an election issue may not be as easy as thought.

A referendum is usually what happens when a Government doesn't have the balls to Govern. Surely extended trading hours is not as divisive an idea as DLS was?

vCash
    The Availabilty of shops? what does that mean? It will impact your life in a negative way if the shops are open?
    i think you might have misunderstood me jargs.
    i wasnt thinking of it in a negative context. i meant that you wouldnt have a mad rush to get your shopping done after work. or have to battle as much of a crowd on the weekend.

or if you needed something on a sunday that you cant get at an IGA or servo type store. you could go into the shops and get it.

as well as if you work all week until 5. train or whatever on thursday nights. and then have sport, or your children have sport on a saturday.

the availability of an open shop would make it easier to get to the shops. thats the impact i was thinking of. it could impact in a positive way

vCash
    or if you needed something on a sunday that you cant get at an IGA or servo type store. you could go into the shops and get it.
    or not have to pay extra because you have to go to IGA or Farmer Jacks or where ever

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast