Thread: PDV on the brink of resignation

vCash

PDV on the brink of resignation

http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,1...152543,00.html
    South Africa coach Peter de Villiers may resign from his job in protest over SARU's handling of an incident in which the controversial Cheeky Watson branded him "a baboon who does not know what he is doing."

De Villiers has apparently given SARU seven days to take action over the incident - starting from last Tuesday - which De Villiers' lawyer Ferdi Hartzenberg has said is the "worst type of defamation and racism" that there is.

South African newspaper Sondag quoted De Villers' lawyers' letter on Sunday.

"Given the fact that a member of our client's employer orchestrated this personal attack on our client, we are of the opinion that it is in everybody's best interests for SA Rugby to rectify the situation," the letter reads.

If SA Rugby do not resolve the situation De Villiers has threatened to institute a grievance against his employers because SA Rugby "promised him to set a climate where he is protected from personal attacks and an environment in which he can give his best work in his position."

The letter does mention that Watson was contacted and denied the allegations, but says that "it is quite obvious that the true facts and the information given differ completely from each other."

Hartzenberg told the newspaper he has not heard from SARU since the letter was sent, while SARU confirmed receipt of the letter and said that the matter was being investigated but declined to comment further about why the organisation had not replied or taken action as yet.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ahh, but it's part of the "Watson Clause" that it is ok for that family to say what they like without recourse.
    Looks like you'll be looking for a new job Peter.
    Would suggest looking outside SA where Watson isn't a protected species.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i will be ok if he goes, the boks may end up playing better..

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Ahh, but it's part of the "Watson Clause" that it is ok for that family to say what they like without recourse.
    Looks like you'll be looking for a new job Peter.
    Would suggest looking outside SA where Watson isn't a protected species.
    It may have been stupid to say.

But it bloody well is true. Peter de Villiers is useless. Mind you I tend to think Jake White was useless too.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Calling a black South African useless and calling a black South African "a baboon" are two slightly different things I would think!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Is it really a fair comparison????

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Jeez, that's low even for you Flame!

It's time for the Watson family to be shown the door, they have a terminal case of foot in mouth disease

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Calling a black South African useless and calling a black South African "a baboon" are two slightly different things I would think!
    The depends on whether you think it is a racist statement. I mean everyone will assume black man + baboon name calling = racist, but their is a semi-racist assumption underlying the whole argument for the name being racist.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The only assumption I am using is the precidents of history where people consider such names demeaning to themselves.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Jeez, that's low even for you Flame!

It's time for the Watson family to be shown the door, they have a terminal case of foot in mouth disease
    I couldn't find a resemblance even with a similar pose.

I wasn't insinuating he looked like a baboon. I felt it showed the comment must have been a racist slur.

React as you wish.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    he wont last anyway. if he is threatening to quit, it wont be long before he does now.
    he's shooting himself in the foot

vCash
    coach, why is a post i just posted at 8:52pm halfway up the thread?

vCash
    The charge was dropped.

PDV's 'racial' case dropped
    Tuesday 07th April 2009
    Case closed: De Villiers' racism investigation comes up empty

Cheeky Watson, father of Springbok and Stormers forward Luke, has been cleared of any racial abuse against South Africa coach Peter de Villiers by an SA Rugby investigation.

Sondag newspaper reported that Eastern Province rugby boss Watson allegedly called De Villiers 'a baboon who does not know what he is doing' at a meeting.

Acting MD of SA Rugby Andy Marinos said the investigations proved there wasn't enough convincing evidence to show the incident took place.

"We immediately launched an internal investigation into the allegations and interviewed some of the suggested role players," said Marinos.

"I understand that a newspaper was provided with written confirmation of the allegation but what we have is minutes of the meeting as well as a letter from an organisation of Rugby Legends who were present and from other individuals who attended. They all concur that neither the subject of Peter de Villiers nor Springbok fixtures were even discussed in the meeting."

Marinos questioned the timing of the allegations and claimed it is an attempt to harm De Villiers' reputation.

"The original incident is alleged to have taken place on 10 December and we would have expected to hear about it about on the 11th," said Marinos.

"For the allegations to emerge almost four months later seems unusual.

"In the absence of a formal complaint or new information substantiating the allegations, SA Rugby can do no more than consider the matter closed."

De Villiers' lawyers sent SA Rugby a letter regarding the allegations and asked the organisation to investigate the matter.

"I have met and had discussions at length with Peter about the story and brought him up to date with our inquiries," said Marinos.

"The timing of this incident makes me wonder if this is not just another attempt to drag his name into controversy at a time when he is preparing for the Lions Series."

http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,1...157391,00.html

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The only assumption I am using is the precidents of history where people consider such names demeaning to themselves.
    I'm sure PVD found it demeaning. I'm sure he probably thought it was racist too. But whether it was racist or not depends on whether Watson compared him to a baboon based on his personality (which he can change) or his skin colour/appearance (which 'doin a Jacko' aside, he can't change). The former seems more likely to me and on that score Watson has hit the nail on the head. He is a pot calling the kettle black though (no racism intended ) because he is a bit of a baboon himself.