Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cummins signs new Force deal

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Cummins signs new Force deal

The Western Force has secured yet another of its emerging ‘generation next’ stars with Nick Cummins signing off a new two-year contract today.

The announcement comes hot on the heels of recent contract extensions for exciting youngsters Sam Wykes, Tom Hockings and Richard Stanford.

21-year-old Cummins is in his second year of Super 14 rugby, winning 14 caps since making his debut against the Sharks in the opening round of the 2008 season.

The speedy back burst onto the international stage with a sizzling two-year stint with the Australian Sevens team, where he was heralded by then-Coach Glen Ella as the best sevens prospect since Matt Giteau.

The winger with the thick shoulder-length mop of curly hair has become a crowd favourite at Subiaco Oval, where he was once again impressive in the WA side’s 39-7 victory over the Reds last Friday night.

RugbyWA General Manager, Rugby, Mitch Hardy, said Cummins’ signing was a top priority for the organisation.

“Nick is a player with enormous potential and that’s been plainly evident with the rapid progress he’s made from his first to second year of professional rugby,” said Hardy.

“When it came to prioritising our contract negotiations, Nick’s name was near the top of the list. He had attracted strong interest from elsewhere but we’re delighted that he has decided to stay with the club for at least a further two seasons.”

A product of St Francis College in Brisbane, Cummins arrived in Perth from the Randwick Club in Sydney and made an immediate impact for the ET Perth Spirit in the 2007 ARC.

He has been a regular fixture in an Emirates Western Force backline laden with Wallaby talent this season, starting five of the team’s seven games on the wing.

Cummins said he was encouraged by the recent retention of some of the team’s young brigade.

“I think with some of the young guys that have signed on recently, the club is certainly heading in the right direction and that was a big factor in my decision to re-sign,” said Cummins.

“It was a rugby and lifestyle decision and while I did have an offer to go elsewhere, I thought the best place for me to develop and have the beach-side lifestyle that I want was here in Perth,” he said.

“I also wanted to show some loyalty to the place. John Mitchell gave me my first opportunity here and I guess I can repay the faith the Force have shown in me.”

FACT FILE
    Nick Cummins
    Position: Wing
    Physical: 189cm, 98kg
    Super Caps: 14
    Super Points: 0
    Super Debut: 2008 v Sharks, Durban
    Representative Honours: Australian Sevens 2006-07

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/2009/ewf_.../section/50753

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    :

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Fantastic news!! good on ya Cummins

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Veteran
    vCash
    hell YEAH!

vCash
    WOOOOOO Fantastic News!!

Nick deserves a special pat on the 'cullet' a-la Canberra from Mrs Jargs this week.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Fantastic news!
    These are the type of key signings that will ensure a successful future for the Club.
    Great to know these younger fellas can see through all the bs and know they can be part of something very special in the West and are prepared to stick their hand up and avoid dragging the issue out.
    Strangely hasn't made SMH yet...
    Now for Brownie and JO'C and I will be happy!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Thats five young guns locked in for the next two years, already this year.

Cummins, Hockings, Stanford, Hodgson and Wykes.

Great news, that the younger players believe in the future of the franchise.

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

Just a quick thought, and playing a bit of devils advocate, all the signings so far have no ARU top ups that I am aware of involved, could there be an outside chance that someone at the "ARU" is making it hard for "our boys" with ARU components to get what they need so that they can try and entice them back East.

Just a thought!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Look at that Cullet fly!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Fantastic news!

Tazz- I think you are on the wrong track - The ARU generally only sign up X number of players that are in or likely to be in the Wallabies Squad. As good as these 5 guys there are other guys from the other Super14 teams that would be ahead of the them on the pecking order as far as a Top Up is concerned.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think Tazz is suggesting that we are still waiting for our Wallaby signings rather than these young fellas should be getting top ups Ex.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    great news - all season he has played with pride and passion

vCash
    Great news. The way he's going, he'll become a "Force Developed" Wallaby before too much time passes.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I think Tazz is suggesting that we are still waiting for our Wallaby signings rather than these young fellas should be getting top ups Ex.
    Spot on Burgs, as the Young guns did not have or are not yet ready for top ups there was no "delay" in them signing, my concern is that the existing Wallabies with top ups involved like Brown, Mitchell, O Connor, seemed to be dragging out.

I rememeber close to match one WA Rugby making a statement that R Brown was close to signing and they were just busy with the ARU component.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Awesome that is a wing and potentially awsome with development Outside Centre covered for the next few years!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast