Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Valentine searches for certain future

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Valentine searches for certain future

Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer

April 25, 2009 06:30pm

WESTERN Force halfback Josh Valentine wants to know where his future lies before the side flies to South Africa on Tuesday.
    He had talks with the Force late last week and was due to have discussions with the Australian Rugby Union this weekend about whether he was likely to be offered a Wallaby contract.

"I had a chat with the Force on Thursday and they are coming back to me early next week," Valentine said.

Discussions may have to continue in South Africa with the vastly improved 26-year-old who came to Perth on a one-year deal and he said: "I'm trying to make a decision before we go away on Tuesday.

"It's difficult trying to do deals while in South Africa. I've done it before, it's just too hard not being around.

"I hope they can get something sorted before then.

"I've got to weigh a few things up including whether I'm in the mix with the Wallabies this year, but everything seems positive, I'm playing some decent football.

"The disappointing thing is everyone else is leaving."

The Force has discussed an offer to Waratahs halfback Brett Sheehan and with the NSW side locking in Luke Burgess it expects to hear soon whether he will move west. Valentine is circumspect about the Sheehan scenario.

"They are looking to go for me or him. All I can do is play good footy. If they choose me they choose me, if they don't they don't.

"If they don't and the ARU's no good I'll definitely look overseas or at other provinces."

The Force has two other priority re-signings - teenage star James O'Connor and No.8 Richard Brown.

Pressure has mounted on the bid to keep O'Connor with the announcement that Brumbies fullback Mark Gerrard is off to Japan.

The ACT side will be doing all it can to team O'Connor up with Matt Giteau.

The hunt also goes on for a hooker to replace Tai McIsaac and the Force is keen to get Tatafu Polota-Nau from the Waratahs.

If he stays in Sydney, where Adam Freier is still on contract, the Force may turn its attention to the Tahs' third-string hooker and 2007 Australian schoolboy captain Damien Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick, 19, joined the Waratahs Super 14 squad this year when Freir's season ended with a bicep injury.

It would be a gamble, because it would mean the Force going into next season with no Super 14 hardened rake.

Academy hooker Ben Whittaker had his first run as a replacement on Friday night and Luke Holmes is struggling to make the grade.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Woah. I thought he resigned the day Drew decided to leave!

I hope they choose him. He has been freaking fantastic for us. I think on occasion that he's been a key to Giteau's sucess. My Dad's said a few times that he thinks Valentine is carrying Giteau, which I thought was a bit of a strech, but it's not entirely impossible. I really really hope he stays!

I do not want Tatafu Polatu-Nou. He cannot throw straight.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Nice quotes from Valo. Seems really keen to stay and is basing his decision on the rugby not the money & mates. Hopefully with the moolah freed up from last week we can make him a substantial offer to thank him for his commitment and how well he has been playing!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Will put my hand up as saying pre-season he didn't really do much for me but I have really warmed to him in the second half of the season and he now seems part of the furniture, even if at ChrisO's expense.
    He seems like a fairly straight shooter in conversation/interview which I certainly respect too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I do not want Tatafu Polatu-Nou. He cannot throw straight.
    No but he can scrum bloody well and around the field he is dynamite.

It's great to see Valentine wants to sign on for the Force. Brett Sheehan, while it would be good to get a West Aussie back home, is getting on a bit. Valentine is 5 years younger and is already on the in with the Force. Valentine is in some pretty good form too.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Valentine can play 10 can't he?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    Valentine can play 10 can't he?
    Can. Wouldn't be a brilliant 10 but very handy to have some experience there. Definite string to the bow.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    i'd like to see him play. i wasnt impressed when we first signed him because i thought we should have kept stannard. but i think he is helping the force move in the right direction. i hope that there is an offer made that tips the scales in our direction.

hopefully the ARU comes to the table for him as well. does he deserve a wallbies jumper this year? i havent been paying that much attention to the other provinces

vCash
    He does seem keen to stay, and I am keen to see some consistency in our side as well. There's not point buying "the best player" for every position when these players can't gel together as a side. Valentine's played excellent for us this year!

vCash
    at the moment i would say that we have the best player for a halfback in valentine. i'd like to see it stay that way as well

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah im guessing he'll be in the wallabies squad.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Burgs;207669]Will put my hand up as saying pre-season he didn't really do much for me but I have really warmed to him.

I concur with Burgs on this, I thought we were getting a second stringer who had had his day, I now stand corrected and would be very happy if Valo signed to stay for as long as he wants.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I have been really impressed with him and have laughed myself to sleep that eastern state clubs let him slip throught their fingers!!! He is a major contributor in attack and is great in defense, we need him to stay!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I can't imagine why the Force would be chasing Sheenan. I certainly don't think he's anything special, and certainly not much better than Valo (if even that). Plust with the players we have leaving already we're going to have a massive shake up next year...some consistency would be nice, particularly at 9 which provides that crucial connection between the forwards and the backs...

Make him a good offer guys....he deserves it.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    They don't let a lot out about these things but is the problem with the offer from RugbyWA or with him getting a Wallaby top-up?

The way these things are conducted might need a complete rethink. Would it be better to give each franchise a split of the financial pie and let them work out who they can or can't afford and within a salary cap framework? Players selected for Wallaby duties could be paid bigger match payments plus winning bonuses. Third party payments could continue as now.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast