Thread: An excerpt from the "Ask the Premier Segment" - ABC 720 - regarding the stadium issue

vCash

An excerpt from the "Ask the Premier Segment" - ABC 720 - regarding the stadium issue

Comments from the Premier in relation to the stadium issue for those who missed it yesterday.

720 ABC PERTH – Mornings (HUTCHISON) - Ask the Premier Segment Wed 6 May

FRANCOIS (CALLER)

Yeah just a quick question for the Premier. You said that we’re going to have like a $400million advantage at the end this next budget, how come we can’t build a stadium when you said that for the next few years we’re going to be in… you know, in surplus again, and how come we can’t even build a stadium?

COLIN BARNETT

Four hundred million dollars does sound a large amount of money. It is in the context of a…. basically a $20billion budget so it can evaporate pretty quickly. The reason that we’ve put the stadium project on hold is that we have brought forward the construction of the new children’s hospital. Now you know, people can debate that but I think most people would agree that Princess Margaret Hospital has passed its used-by-date and that is a higher priority than a stadium for 20 matches a year.

Now I’m keen to do something first about having a rectangular stadium to cater for rugby and soccer, which really don’t have a facility that can accommodate the crowd and provide the sort of viewing experience.

Subiaco Oval, I know, and Andrew Demetriou says it’s the worst stadium in Australia, he’s probably right, but look, a game’s played, there was a derby during the weekend, it was a capacity crowd, people saw the game, they were there for two or three hours, enjoyed the footy. Is this… you know, is this the biggest issue, you know, Geoff’s just talking about, Geoff’s just talking about, you know, what we don’t do or don’t get right here, is the stadium really the biggest issue for Western Australia? The game took place, the crowd went along, they watched it, they enjoyed it and they’ll come back in another couple of weeks for another game.

GEOFF HUTCHISON

Okay, what likelihood, just finally, what likelihood does $70-$75million will be made available for improvements to Perth Oval – is that going to happen?

COLIN BARNETT

That won’t be in the budget but we are talking seriously about what we can do for rectangular sports, so it doesn’t meet this budget cycle but we are having discussions both with rugby and soccer and we’ll also be talking to the Federal Government, whether they want to come to the party. I think that is the next logical sport development in this state.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So if it's not in this budget is there any possibillity of construction starting within the next 6-12 months?

Also Geoff, it's not Perth Oval anymore get with the times

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    ABC dont refer to grounds by their commercial names

vCash
    my main point was the fact that is not an oval anymore

vCash
    Damn... was hoping to see that in the Budget next week. Sounds like he's got the message about trying to watch rectangular sports at an oval stadium though.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Swee one thing you want to not confuse yourself with is that the Federal Budget next week - and the State Budget what happens a little later in the year.

Sorry if I am jumping to conclusions.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    so it doesn’t meet this budget cycle but we are having discussions both with rugby and soccer and we’ll also be talking to the Federal Government, whether they want to come to the party
    I think thats the line that concerns me the most

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Sorry if I am jumping to conclusions.
    Afraid so X

From the Treasury website - http://www.dtf.wa.gov.au/cms/content...id&itemid=2014

2009-10 Budget

The 2009-10 Western Australian State Budget will be released at 2:15pm, Thursday 14 May 2009.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    2009-10 Budget

The 2009-10 Western Australian State Budget will be released at 2:15pm, Thursday 14 May 2009.

Thanks Shasta- looks like I can still read newspapers with the best of them.

vCash
    So if it doesnt meet this budget cycle, its obviously not going to happen till at least late next year IF it gets into the next budget. Just seems like Barnett is dangling this carrot over the heads of the rugby community. I voted for him, but lately I haven't been getting alot of reassurance from him.

vCash
    Just thinking out loud here. Barnett told RWA /Glory/WARL they didn't have enough costings detail in the report from their consultants, previous to that it was supposedly a done deal. Is that why the project is not in this years budget cycle?

Perhaps, but there's also been a lot of bad news hitting The Force recently including headlines about them going "extinct". Lately we've had the WAFC sycophants in the local media joining in and predictig that The Force will be relocated to Melbourne when the new telecast contracts are done. They are using this to argue that money should not be wasted on an upgrade if that's the case.

Maybe all the noise has given the pollies cold feet and they want to have a look what happens with crowd numbers next season before they committ. Bit of a bugger, but I'm confidant we'll see increased memberships and sell outs most home games anyway.

Don't know what JO'N told Barnett & Co when he was here to lobby for the upgrade but he needs to come back from Dublin with a firm statement that The Western Force are definitely going nowhere.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Indeed - without the money in the budget or a hard commit on the build, what five year committments will the ARU be prepared to make to News this June....especially if they end up going for a trans-tasman comp?