Thread: Melbourne worthy of team, says Deans

vCash

Melbourne worthy of team, says Deans

Stathi Paxinos | May 12, 2009

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans yesterday said Australia needed a fifth Super rugby franchise for the health of the game in this country and he would be happy for it to be given to Melbourne.

Deans would not give Melbourne's bid for an expansion team — if that was to be situated in Australia — his full seal of approval given other areas such as the Gold Coast had also shown interest.

But Deans, who was instrumental when coach of the Crusaders in establishing a pre-season trial against Western Force in Melbourne (discontinued this year), said he believed Melbourne had a good case. It was overlooked in favour of Perth when the competition was last revamped.

"I love Melbourne. I've got a history with the Crusaders having played here and it's a great sporting destination, there's no two ways about that," Deans said.

"But I'm not party to the decision, if the choice was to be Melbourne that would be great. Most importantly from my perspective is we need more rugby and we need another opportunity for players within Australia.

"… That background of having the application last time would have to serve the area well in so far that they would be so much better informed of what's required, they're equipped already with a background of preparation, and that has just to be an advantage over every other area that doesn't have that. There's a huge untapped rugby population here."

South Africa has been in dispute with its southern hemisphere partners, Australia and New Zealand, over the way the Super competition should be set up under a new broadcasting deal, and has laid claim to the expansion franchise itself, which would give it six teams in the competition.

Deans said Australia did have the depth among the club rugby ranks, as well as the more seasoned competitors who were now playing overseas because of limited opportunities within Australia, to support a fifth Australian Super franchise.

Deans was in Melbourne yesterday to promote the Wallabies' June 20 Test at Etihad Stadium against Italy.

He also said the Melbourne public should show it was serious about rugby and the possibility of a Super team.

"I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a big crowd," he said. "… if local people do aspire to a franchise being based in Melbourne then that's one obvious way that they can express that desire and that wish."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...893918474.html

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Get to see Robbie Deans backs a fifth Super Rugby team in Australia... Sounds like its on the way if the national coach is prepared to talk about it in the media...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Let Melbourne have their team it can only better Australian rugby by bringing back those money hunger players from Europe. They have got everything else one more thing will make no difference.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    They do love their sport in Melbourne!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Correction - they love their AFL in Melbourne. Frankly, no other winter sport stands a chance against it. The Storm have been around for 12 years, have 2 premierships, have been minor premiers for the last 3 years in a row, and average about 11000 to a home game. Imagine what their average crowd will be when they are facing some lean years. 6000? Maybe. If it weren't for newscorp propping them up, they would have folded years ago.

I find the whole, "Melbourne is the centre of the sporting galaxy" thing somewhat apocryphal and a tad irritating.

I see little reason why a super rugby team would do much better than the Storm.

vCash
    Soccer does well in Melbourne and Rugby gets a good turn out at test matches... While AFL is their GOD... they really just dislike the NRL... there are enough NZers , inter-staters and expats in Melbourne to support a new province... bring it on because the gold Coast isn't the answer...

vCash
    Soccer is a summer sport that doesn't compete with AFL. Rugby tests will always draw a crowd because people will fly in to watch them.

Still haven't heard a compelling reason to support this.