Phil Lutton, www.brisbanetimes.com.au | May 12, 2009 - 10:16AM

Queensland Reds leaders James Horwill and Berrick Barnes have backed a plan from Wallaby great Tim Horan to bring Super 14 rugby back to Ballymore next season.
Fearful Queensland rugby is becoming out of touch with its faithful supporters, Reds legend Horan wants at least one game to be played at the state's rugby heartland next year in an effort to re-engage with disaffected fans.

The idea has been met with enthusiasm from Wallaby backrower and Reds skipper Horwill, who said the players would undoubtedly embrace a return to the same field that hosted the great Reds sides of the 80s and 90s.

"I think it would be great to play a game back at Balllymore. I grew up watching games at Ballymore so it holds a special place for Queensland rugby," Horwill said.
"It would be good to get one there and hopefully bring some people who haven't been coming for a long time back to Ballymore."

Barnes, the Wallaby centre, was equalling as quick to embrace the idea, saying the smaller venue would create a more intimate atmosphere than the cavernous surrounds of a two-thirds empty Suncorp Stadium.

"I think it would be tremendous. That's nothing against Suncorp. We love playing here. But with the crowds we are drawing it would be great to get back there and experience it one more time," Barnes said.

Horan made Ballymore his personal playground during his 119-game career with Queensland. The dazzling centre is desperate for the current crop to return to rugby's spiritual nerve centre, which he believes should be the longterm home of the Reds should a $100 million redevelopment of the grounds be approved.

"I think it's very important for Ballymore to host a Super 14 game next year," Horan said.

"I played most of my career at Ballymore. To have at least one Super 14 game next year would allow the rugby community to get back and be part of rugby again.
That's the whole essence of Ballymore, not just turning up for the 80 minutes of rugby but before the game and after the game.

"We need to try and draw people back into rugby. I'm sure that the Reds would be interested. I'm sure that the stakeholders of the game or the sponsors would allow one game or two games at Ballymore this year. It's a ground that holds a lot in my heart."

The creaky stands of Ballymore - now a constant financial drain on the Queensland Rugby Union's (QRU) bottom line - provided a raucous and intimidating backdrop to Horan's career. The fans that filled the benches and the hill always gave the Reds an added edge.

"Speaking from a player's point of view, I'm sure they'd enjoy having a packed 23,000 people at Ballymore compared with 15,000 in an empty stadium," Horan said.

"You get a packed Ballymore and it would be the hardest ticket in town to get.
"People turn up when sides are winning. But when they're not winning, you've got to try and re-engage people who aren't true believers and true followers of rugby, people who sit on the sidelines no matter what the sport."

The future of Ballymore is currently in the hands of Brisbane City Council, which is examining a submission for a multi-sport facility including accommodation for athletes and a medical centre.

Much of the current stadium would be retained under the plan but the traditional hill would be replaced by seats and the capacity of 23,000 would remain unchanged.

The success of Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, home to the Titans and the new A-League franchise, has convinced people within the QRU of the merits of a "boutique" stadium, which could also be utilised by the Queensland Roar, which now bases itself at Ballymore.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...893957474.html