Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emotional weekend looms for Western Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Emotional weekend looms for Western Force

• Tim Clarke
    • May 13, 2009 - 11:28AM
    An emotional weekend looms for the Western Force, with club, players and fans set to say goodbye to a legion of stars - led by Wallaby superstar and Force talisman Matt Giteau.

But while Richard Brown revealed it was the influence of young backrow partner and friend David Pocock which largely persuaded him to buck the trend and stay in WA, Pocock said the players would not be too sad bidding farewell to another element which has been with the Force from the start - Subiaco Oval.

Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Scott Staniforth, Ben Castle, assistant coach John Mulvihill, Tai McIsaac - if fit - and possibly, James O'Connor, could all be involved their last games in blue, on the night the club will also play its last game at WA's home of AFL before a move to Member's Equity Stadium.

Pocock said while some goodbyes would be hard on Saturday against the Highlanders, that one would not.

"It will be pretty emotional on Saturday night … and we want to send the guys who are leaving off on a good night, and also we owe it to our crowd at Subi," Pocock said.

"Beforehand it will be pretty normal, but afterwards there could be a few tears shed. They will be sorely missed, but new guys coming will be exciting.

"We have been playing there for a while now, but definitely for rugby in Western Australia moving forward we have to go to a rectangular stadium.

"You play at ground like Newlands (in South Africa) it is amazing how close the crowd is and how loud they get.

"I think all the boys are pretty excited about moving to a rectangular stadium, and hopefully we can make it our home and make it a lot tougher for teams to win there."

Brown's decision to stay in WA gave the club a massive boost on the day their 2009 finals ambitions finally ended in South Africa.

And with the pre-season trauma of the relationship breakdown between John Mitchell and his players, followed by a mass exodus of senior stars and his own contract uncertainty, the Queenslander said it had been a trying year.

"(It has been tough on) mind and body, it is good this is the last game and hopefully we can prepare for the Super 14 next year and it goes a lot smoother," Brown said.

"And (the contract) was a pretty big decision and I probably wish it had been over and done with sooner, it is a thing that weighs on your shoulders in practice, in games and in life and general."

In a promising sign for Brown and Pocock's international ambitions, the pair was today called on by the ARU to promote the Wallaby Test match against world champion South Africa at Subiaco in August, tickets for which went on sale this week.

Brown said the idea of playing alongside Pocock for the Wallabies was such an enticing prospect he did not want to do anything to prevent it.

"I don’t want to talk about it too much because I don’t want to jinx it," Brown said.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/emot...9.html?page=-1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Brownie and Bam Bam are the Force talisman (should that be Talismen?) I'm so glad they are staying

vCash
    it will be a sadish day
    going to miss all those players who are leaving but we still got the bam and the brown

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    The two I will be saving my voice for will be Spanner and Tai, especially because it will be Spanners 100th game of Super 14. I will start throat lozenges now to mitigate the risk of coming up mute on the night!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    It will be a great match and all the players leaving will be on the field for an suitable farewell...

PS: Last one out don't forget to turn the lights off at Subi...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yup....be glad to see the end of Subi...

vCash
    I think the new MES will really give the Force more strength and character and become a winning home ground for the boys... .

vCash
    There should be due celebration & support for both Staniforth & Tai as they have proved themselves to be true club-men. But nothing should be done for Gits or Drew as they are simply rugby mercenaries....in fact, deafening silence may bring home to them the folly of their decisions.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    There should be due celebration & support for both Staniforth & Tai as they have proved themselves to be true club-men. But nothing should be done for Gits or Drew as they are simply rugby mercenaries....in fact, deafening silence may bring home to them the folly of their decisions.
    gee thats a bit ungracious... & not very jedi at all...

vCash
    I would like a particular Angels song sung at the end of the game as we walk out of subi.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In John Welborns column is todays West liftout he states that in future announcements :-

James O'Connor will re-sign.
    A signing of a new Hooker.
    A signing of a "world class" half.

vCash
    gotta love Welborn and his ongoing passion for the Force. what a trooper.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    gotta love Welborn and his ongoing passion for the Force. what a trooper.

Let's hope he's a trooper with top notch sauces. He should be.

If his predictions are on the mark, we have a lot to look forward to next season.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    If his predictions are on the mark, we have a lot to look forward to next season.
    I look forward to next season regardless of signings. No more Subiaco Suburban Shithole Oval

BYO Hammer or Axe to the Farwell Subiaco party

vCash
    also dave hughes in today west states that ' others still to be revealed' are also bidding farrewell.......
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast