Thread: Eales puts in a word for pair of grizzled vets

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Eales puts in a word for pair of grizzled vets

Josh Rakic | May 17, 2009

WORLD CUP-winning Wallabies skipper John Eales says the Wallabies would be better for the inclusion of veterans Nathan Sharpe and Phil Waugh, but stopped short of insisting coach Robbie Deans select them.

With the international season getting under way in just three weeks, Deans has made it clear almost no incumbent is guaranteed a position in the hotly contested 30-man squad.

"It's not going to be straightforward, we're going to have to make some hard decisions," said Deans, who refused to disclose names of players on the chopping block.

"It's a good problem to have but the reality will be that there will be some players who have played international rugby who will miss out.
    "And there are guys who are hopeful of being there. But I guess to that end, it's only a moment in time, so until a player concedes that it's the end, it's never the end."
    Therein lies the glimmer of hope for Waugh, aged 29, and Sharpe, 31, who are perceived to be on the outer. Problems with Waugh's contract negotiations with the ARU last month almost forced the No.7 overseas, prompting many to suggest his days as a Wallaby are over, particularly with George Smith a certain starter in the Australian side.

But his form since re-signing has been outstanding and Deans admitted experience was something he was keen to make use of in the coming June Tests.

Sharpe was overlooked for the Wallabies' tour of South Africa last year, but was a late call-up because of team injuries and played well enough to suggest he is far from spent at international level.

However, youngsters David Pocock and James Horwill have emerged to put the veterans' representative careers on the brink, but Eales said he expected the side to be picked on form and not age.

"I'm in no real position to tell the coach who he should or shouldn't pick, and I wouldn't want to, but I think both guys have played really well this year and I think at the end of the day Robbie's just got to pick the team on form," Eales told The Sun-Herald. "You can't really pick a team looking ahead to the World Cup, it's just too far away.

"Maybe if there are two people playing about the same and one you thought would be better in 12 months' time than the other, then you might go for them, but basically you just need to pick the team on form.

"I think any great team has a mix of youth and experience - that's one of Queensland's great challenges. They don't have the older guys.

"And no one wins a World Cup or Super 14 without having a lot of experience in key positions."

With experienced campaigners Waugh, Sharpe, Al Baxter and Smith all playing well, plus the impressive form of young backs Drew Mitchell, Lachie Turner and Adam Ashley-Cooper, Eales said the Wallabies were in good stead to regain the Tri Nations trophy and Bledisloe Cup - trophies they have not held in more than half a decade.

The Wallabies' first match of the season is against the Barbarians on June 6 in Sydney.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...335931029.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If picked on form, Sharpe will most likely be up there. Can't really see any other lock who has been having a good consistent seaon throughout.

Waugh, thought, might find it tough. Smith is probably the second name pencilled in, after gits, but pocock is probably the next in line.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!