Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies will be handful against all comers this winter - and beyond

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies will be handful against all comers this winter - and beyond

John Connolly | May 17, 2009

In the next 10 days Robbie Deans will announce his 30-man Wallabies squad for the four June Tests and I expect it to be the strongest team in many years.

With the amount of talent on show this season and the strong form of some of our best players, I expect the Wallabies selectors to name an experienced squad, with strength in the forwards and incredible flexibility in the backs.

The two games against Italy won't be great challenges, but they'll be well used by Deans to rotate his team and get them into a good rhythm ahead of the Tri Nations.

France, meanwhile, are apparently committed to sending a full-strength side, but will be backing up from playing the All Blacks two weeks before. Still, this will be a very worthwhile hit-out.

As loose-heads, I expect Benn Robinson and Ben Alexander to be named. Stephen Moore and Tatafu Polota-Nau will be the hookers. Al Baxter is an automatic selection at tight-head, and Guy Shepherdson should come back into the side with Matt Dunning injured and Waratahs prop Sekope Kepu having little time in the Super 14.

Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill and Mark Chisholm should fill three of the lock positions, with the loss of Hugh McMeniman leaving a fourth position vacant, possibly for Brumbies lock Peter Kimlin or hard-working Waratah Will Caldwell.

The No.8s will be Wycliff Palu and Richard Brown, Wallabies tourists last year, with Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles the third contender.

Dean Mumm will be first-picked for the blindside, though Mitchell Chapman and the ever-improving Ben Mowen from NSW could come into contention. At open-side flanker there's George Smith, Phil Waugh and the emerging David Pocock. With the ARU throwing money at Smith to stay, he will be the first picked.

Waugh has probably been the form open-side of past weeks, but the issues he had in re-signing with the ARU indicate he could be overlooked, unfortunately, for the younger Pocock. It'll be a tough call on Waugh if he misses out but there is room for only 16 forwards.

Although he lost his spot to Brett Sheehan in the Super 14, Luke Burgess should be picked at halfback, with Sheehan and Josh Valentine his back-up. All have a lot of improving to do.

Matt Giteau's strong recommendation for Valentine and influence on Valentine joining him at the Brumbies will be taken into consideration.

The best two five-eighths in the country are clearly Giteau and Berrick Barnes, with Barnes having the added flexibility of being able to play No.12.

Stirling Mortlock being shifted to the wing for the Brumbies won't help his cause, and I'm sure it's been discussed long and hard where he sits in the Wallabies set-up. But he should get selected, he can play 12 or 13.

Ryan Cross has done nothing wrong with the Force and he will be selected. The only issue is he and Mortlock will be 32 and 34 respectively at the next World Cup.
    Timana Tahu has shown form of late and the investment in him won't be wasted, so I expect him to be there. James O'Connor, Rob Horne and Matt Toomua are vying for the remaining position.

The form wingers are Lote Tuqiri, Peter Hynes and Lachie Turner, and with Digby Ioane and Cameron Shepherd having suffered season-ending injuries, Deans could throw the net wide and pick the Brumbies' Francis Fainifo.

The two fullback spots are causing the coach the biggest angst, with Adam Ashley-Cooper and Drew Mitchell spending time there, but more comfortable out wide.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...335931026.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hmmm some of his picks are very sentimental... i doubt Deans will be as soft.
    additionally
    I thought Giteau was the best 12 Australia has had in recent years and also play 9 for the wallabies with great success.. so why would he say Barnes is more versatile?

Player
    vCash
    Shepherd season ending injury???!!

vCash
    My opinion is that Deans will have a few suprises up his sleeve. I think (and hope) Deans will play Giteau at 12. I don't think he's there to take orders from anyone about where to play anyone, he will go with what is best for the Wallabies and Giteau is best at 12. I don't think Lote will waltz into his spot as per normal, I think a lot of things will change... for the better I like Robbie Deans. Don't let me down!

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
    Say WHAT?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash

his ankle has to be re-operated on, so he wont be in the squad...

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    Oh, the poor bastard.... Geez, what a nightmare!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    Shame he was looking the goods... there have been a lot of injuries to players worthy of a Wallabies jersey this season... While I guess it makes it easy for Deans and Co... there wont be the depth... now all the OZ S14 teams are out Deans is likely to name the 30 man squad later this week...

vCash
    Whats he backing his arguement up with?

No Aus teams in the finals of the Super 14, but there are 3 NZ teams in it.

I think it will be the 7th year without a Bledisloe win.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think we could put the All Blacks under enormous pressure without Dan Carter. Donald proved last year that he wasn't really good enough and Luke McAlister remains to be seen. Lock will be another question mark area with Ali Williams well out of form and few other standouts. No reason why we couldn't beat them to at least the Tri-Nations. Bledisloe will admittedly be a bit tougher with 2 games in NZ.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think we could put the All Blacks under enormous pressure without Dan Carter. Donald proved last year that he wasn't really good enough and Luke McAlister remains to be seen. Lock will be another question mark area with Ali Williams well out of form and few other standouts. No reason why we couldn't beat them to at least the Tri-Nations. Bledisloe will admittedly be a bit tougher with 2 games in NZ.
    Yep... All Blacks have some thin areas. Locks Eaton been good, Donald is better this year but not at Carters level and McAlister was a bit unpredictable. but others like Nonu have gotten better this year...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    but others like Nonu have gotten better this year...
    Nonu has probably been the most notable improver of the current AB's. Before he was mainly a crash thru player although he also had great footwork for a player his size. But he usually either made the bust or took the ball to ground. Now he has a pretty sweet passing game as well. Not sure of his tactical kicking yet but opposing teams are going to need a solid defence around the 10-12 channel to contain him. He's still only 25 and could be heading towards being one of the great AB's.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Strangely a lot of Knuckles comments seem to relate to financial reasoning. i.e. "Money thrown" and "investment" etc

vCash
    I read somewhere that he has 4 months out

vCash
    poor shep.

take the time and recover fully. we'll see you back in 15 at MES for round 1 next year. all the best!

Champion
    vCash
    I hope Deans has a good look at Hodgo for 6 he has played his heart out this season

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast