Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opportunity missed, Force coach looks to fresh start in 2010

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Opportunity missed, Force coach looks to fresh start in 2010

• May 17, 2009 - 2:18PM
    Coach John Mitchell says the Western Force will rue the 2009 Super 14 season as a missed opportunity as some stars depart and the franchise takes on a new look next year.

After finishing the season in eighth place with six wins and a draw from their 13 games, the Force lose Matt Giteau and Josh Valentine to the Brumbies, Drew Mitchell to the Waratahs, and Tai McIsaac, Scott Staniforth, Tamaiti Horua, Ben Castle and Junior Pelesasa overseas following Saturday's 33-28 win over the Highlanders.

With heartbreaking losses to the Hurricanes, Bulls, Stormers and the draw with the Crusaders, Mitchell sees 2009 as a missed chance to achieve something special.
    "Since bye week, the players have owned the way we've played and I just think we have left at least two games on the table.

We missed a lot of the close ones and you have to nail those to be a serious contender," Mitchell said.

"I guess there are elements of mostly goodness, some sadness and also frustration of not reaching our potential as a team this year.

"That will probably dawn on all of us over the next few days."

Despite the departures, a solid core remains in Nathan Sharpe, David Pocock, Richard Brown, Matt Hodgson, Pek Cowan, Tom Hockings, Sam Wykes, Ryan Cross, Cameron Shepherd and Nick Cummins joined by newly-signed Kiwi prop Tim Fairbrother and NSW halfback Brett Sheehan.

Re-signing young backline star James O'Connor is the great priority and Stormers flyhalf and inside centre Peter Grant is still on the radar, along with NSW prop Damian Fitzpatrick and others.

"We are now entering a phase where we have a clear strategy and plan which we want people committed to," said Mitchell.

"Our forward pack will be even stronger, we've got an international backrow, a halfback who is a very good ball threat and what we do need to fill is 10 and 12," Mitchell said.

"We are pursuing Peter Grant and then there's the acquisition and retention of James.

"We are also looking at a winger who is very similar to Cummins in terms of size.
    "We have an opportunity to restart our club and build new habits to new people."

Winger Scott Staniforth farewelled Australian rugby with two tries in his 100th Super rugby appearance and while a little sad to go, predicts a strong future for the Perth-based club.

He will retain a residence in Perth while playing and coaching in Japan.
    "It's a little bit emotional, but it has to finish sometime and it's a good way to finish on 100 games with a couple of tries and a win.

"With guys like Richard Brown, Dave Pocock and pretty much a really good 12 players, there are just three players needed.

"Hopefully James O'Connor can get across the line and another five-eighth, and they will be very competitive next year."

AAP

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/oppo...f.html?page=-1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Looking back now I really wonder how much effect all the pre-season drama may have contributed to the way the season went,guess we will never know.One day it may come out in a book,but I guess next year will be the beginning of a new chapter.

vCash
    Yeah but another re-building chapter.

vCash
    All teams go through rebuilding phases... The force will get past it and grow... and be competitive... Hopefully they’ll learn from their mistakes and set new objectives for 2010… Other squads and Coaches will be going through precisely the same honest self-assessment process or they’ll all repeat the mistakes of the past…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    • May 17, 2009 - 2:18PM
    Coach John Mitchell says ............
    "We are now entering a phase where we have a clear strategy and plan which we want people committed to,"
    H
    AAP

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/oppo...f.html?page=-1

this is a genuine corncern this statement from JM, what has he been doing since the force franchise was awarded......did we not have a clear strategy to start with ?.....unless he gets us in to the finals next year the force should cut there losses and start looking for another coach....hopefully this new strategy will put an end to our second half fade outs once and for all....

Last edited by slomo; 17-05-09 at 17:47.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't see us entering a re-building stage. I see us a still building on what we have accomplished so far.

Slomo - perhaps every phase has had a clear strategy but now they also have the right people committed to it?

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    unless he gets us in to the finals next year the force should cut there losses and start looking for another coach....hopefully this new strategy will put an end to our second half fade outs once and for all....
    I think we have cut our losses and the head coach is not it. JM, has an enviable record, which I believe is beyond question. IMHO you can not blame JM for team members losing focus and concentration in the second half. My most memorable negative moment of the season was when Giteau and Drew were having a laugh and a joke just before we lost against the Sharks. That video footage should be shown to all future Force players!

Oops, for Sharks read canes.....see how bad the memory is, I'm subconstiously trying to block it out.

Last edited by The EnForcer; 18-05-09 at 13:12.
    Just happy to be here

vCash
    I tend to agree with TEF, the second those players march out the door their fate is in their hands. They are the ones dropping off the tackles, they are ones missing shots at goal, they are the one knocking on

vCash
    "Our forward pack will be even stronger, we've got an international backrow, a halfback who is a very good ball threat and what we do need to fill is 10 and 12," Mitchell said.

Is Mitchell saying JOC is leaving in this statement?

vCash
    not neccesarily, as you yourself keep pointing out depth is important

Champion
    vCash
    I think what he is saying is that the openings are there for JOC but he hasn't signed YET. (of course we know he will because he told Robyn!)

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

Is Mitchell saying JOC is leaving in this statement?
    Have another read but open both eyes this time!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Sheps to make a permanent move to the wing and JO'C to fullback? I like it!! JO'C should too seeings as though thats where Robbie played him. Could suck for Sheps' Wallabies chances at fb, although if he can string together a few injury-free games next year he could just about cement himself a gold jersey on the wing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    I think we have cut our losses and the head coach is not it. JM, has an enviable record, which I believe is beyond question. IMHO you can not blame JM for team members losing focus and concentration in the second half. My most memorable negative moment of the season was when Giteau and Drew were having a laugh and a joke just before we lost against the Sharks. That video footage should be shown to all future Force players!

Oops, for Sharks read canes.....see how bad the memory is, I'm subconstiously trying to block it out.
    Fair enough TEF, Jm hardly has an enviable record as coach in super 12/super 14,what do you base his record on?.. this pre-season we had the fittest squad we've ever had , more records were broken this pre season than any other year (mitchells words, not mine), weve now just completed our 4th season so were not the new team we were back in 06, every player that weve had in our system was signed with mitchells ok, every training structure weve had in place was put there by mitchell. last season we had more australian representatives than weve ever had., if JM is such a great coach why couldn't he motivate the talent we had, after all hes the one that signed them...
    as for JM enviable coaching record at super level
    2001 Chiefs, 6th. 6 wins.
    2006 EWF, 14th. 1 win.
    2007 7th. 6 wins
    2008 8th. 7 wins
    2009 8th 6 wins

vCash
    Shep can handle that wing for the Wallabies, he's a world class finisher, and Drew doesn't seem to want to see sense and play there, all the better for Cam. The only issue I can see is that the incumbents seem to have water tight contracts stating "Play me or get sued!"

You know who I'm talking about robyn !

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast