Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reward teams that win more games, pleads Phil Waugh

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Reward teams that win more games, pleads Phil Waugh

Bret Harris | May 19, 2009

Article from: The Australian

NSW Waratahs captain Phil Waugh believes win-loss records rather than points differential should decide placings for the Super 14 finals after his team was denied a spot in the top four on a narrow for-and-against margin.

The Waratahs finished the regular season on the same number of points (31) as the Crusaders.

Even though the Waratahs won one more game (nine) than the Crusaders (eight), the Cantabrians claimed fourth spot because of a better for and against record.

Waugh said after arriving back in Sydney yesterday from the Waratahs' undefeated three-game tour of South Africa that the team that won more games should be rewarded in deciding playoff places.

"The Crusaders won one less game than us. They won eight games. We won nine. They got into the semi-finals," Waugh said.

"It would probably be good if teams do end up on equal points, then it goes to the team that has won more games during the year rather than points differential.

"We knew that was the case before the season, but the wise way to go about it would be rewarding the team that wins more games than other teams."

The Crusaders finished on the same number of points as the Waratahs because they had a draw instead of a fifth loss and because they collected two more bonus points than NSW.

The Crusaders picked up seven bonus points - for scoring four or more tries or losing by seven points or less - while the Waratahs collected only five, which was the equal second-lowest number in the competition.

The Waratahs earned the same number (three) of bonus points as the Crusaders for scoring four tries or more, but two less for losing by seven points or less.

The Crusaders were held scoreless in their 6-0 loss to the Highlanders, but they were still rewarded with a bonus point even though they could not put a point on the scoreboard.

Waugh did not blame the bonus point system for the Waratahs' failure to reach the playoffs, but rather NSW's inability to capitalise on opportunities.

"I thought 41 points would get us in, but it didn't. We gave ourselves every opportunity to score points throughout the year," Waugh said.

"We could have scored four tries in most games had we taken the opportunities. I think we created enough opportunities to be there.

"It (the bonus point system) has been in the competition since it started.

"That's the reality of the competition. You need to pick up bonus points along the way. We didn't pick up enough. It certainly keeps teams in the game and motivates teams when they are clearly beaten to try and get four tries or try to get within seven."

Waugh cited the Waratahs' home losses to the Crusaders and Western Force as the most costly defeats. "The two losses to the Crusaders and the Force obviously hurt us," Waugh said. "We talked all year about leaving points out on the field and that certainly came back to bite us. Overall, I think we are going in the right direction. To get 13 points out of Africa is a big effort.

"The guys did extremely well. We can regroup over the next six or seven months and hopefully do better next year. It certainly sends us off on the right note."
    The Waratahs have been criticised for winning ugly this year, which contributed to their lack of bonus points.

Coach Chris Hickey said the Waratahs had been trying to develop their attacking game since the start of the season, but it took longer than he had anticipated to find their rhythm.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Rookie
    vCash
    its a shame no aussie teams made it.
    the force have complained enough this year not to hassle teams that did better than us!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I dunno...we beat the Tahs.

Rookie
    vCash
    yeah, we beat the three aussie teams, then only three more! its like crowing about being first off the line to the corner in a motor race. doesnt matter if you cant maintain the speed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    In other news, NSW Waatahs have a new naming sponsor, Kleenex.

vCash
    Isn't the point of the ranking system to encourage adventurous, attacking play? It rewards teams for the manner in which they win, rather than just barely doing enough to scrape by (ie. pushing for an additional try or fighting back when they are down, to get a bonus point).

vCash
    He does have a point, but then who cares.....it's the Waratahs!!!

Everyone knows the points system at the start of the season, it's not as if the goalposts were moved during the season to benefit adventurous, free-flowing (as well as tight defensive) rugby.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    He does have a point, but then who cares.....it's the Waratahs!!!

Everyone knows the points system at the start of the season, it's not as if the goalposts were moved during the season to benefit adventurous, free-flowing (as well as tight defensive) rugby.
    he says that in the article.
    the crusaders wernt any more adventurous than the tahs mind you! they were boring as! but thats alright cos they won last year!

vCash
    Would Phil be of the same opinion if the roles were reversed???

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Rookie
    vCash
    of course he wouldnt, but he has every right to comment as he is in that situation! were not!

vCash
    For a Force supporter you are very defensive of the Waawaatahs

Posted via space

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    For a Force supporter you are very defensive of the Waawaatahs

haha... I like it!

Rookie
    vCash
    i live in sydney now and my brother who i live with is a die hard tahs fan, i watch every australian game and unless a team is playing the force i go for them.

i read things that go up on this site and there is alot of people with large double standards when it comes to people having opinions. i dont mind if people disagree with me but i do mind people who badmouth players or say there like certain things or stereotype them.

i like many other young people (and a few oldies) here hang out at the end of the game and talk and get photos but that doesnt give me the right to personnally insult those who dont play for my team. infact if anything, i think knowing some players and knowing how hard they train and what they go through to play gives me admiration for anyone who makes it to a top level.

the article above isnt worded well, waugh says something cos he is dissapointed and points out that the tahs managaed to win a game more but didnt make it. he then goes on to ad that thats the way it is and the tahs have to take there lack of closing opportunities as the reason there not there. to ad dribble to it cos you like to see other sides suffer when the fact is the force didnt perform this year i think is wrong.

its my opinion and im sticking to it!

go australian rugby (especially the force!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    of course he wouldnt, but he has every right to comment as he is in that situation! were not!
    Not really given that, like others have posted, he knew the rules going in, SANZAR didn't suddenly move the Goalposts.

At the end of the day the tahs didn't do enough to qualify for the semis. Maybe he should be complaining about letting 33 points in at the weekend, given that they only missed out by a points differential of 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast