Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies sweat on O'Connor

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies sweat on O'Connor

Bret Harris | May 23, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THE Brumbies will seek an answer from Wallabies prodigy James O'Connor on their contract offer sooner rather than later, so they know how much they have left in their budget for an overseas winger.

O'Connor, who is poised to start at fullback for the Wallabies against the Barbarians in Sydney on June 6, is weighing up whether to join the Brumbies or stay at Western Force.

The ACT-based side is also in negotiations with several foreign outside backs, but it cannot finalise any deals until it knows O'Connor's intentions.

Chief executive Andrew Fagan said yesterday the Brumbies had not imposed a deadline on O'Connor, but the offer could not remain on the table indefinitely.
    "James is taking his time and we respect his reasons," Fagan said.

"But the offer can't stay there forever. We will need an answer sooner than later. We have to finalise our squad and we need to know how much money we've got to spend if James is not coming to secure other options.

"We have had discussions with a couple of foreign players and there is mutual interest.

"... we can't put an offer on the table before we finalise negotiations with James.
    "We don't want to miss out on James and the other player too, but we are not at that point yet.

"If it gets to a point where we need to make a decision, we'll communicate that to him. We are eagerly awaiting a decision."

Fagan said O'Connor, 18, was also negotiating with the ARU for his Wallabies top-up after being named in the 29-man squad on Thursday for the inbound internationals.

"James has made the Wallabies squad and will be negotiating with the ARU to finalise that component of his contract," Fagan said.

"I'd like to think the ARU component will be finalised sooner rather than later so he can focus on which province he wants to play for."

The Brumbies are looking to recruit O'Connor to play inside centre or fullback, but his decision could also decide whether they renew former Wallabies winger Clyde Rathbone's contract.

"We are unable to offer Clyde a contract at this stage, but it doesn't mean we won't later," Fagan said.

The Force is desperate to retain O'Connor after losing Wallabies backs Matt Giteau (Brumbies), Josh Valentine (Brumbies), Drew Mitchell (Waratahs) and Scott Staniforth (Japan).

Much will depend on whether the Force can recruit a quality foreign five-eighth to take the pressure off O'Connor at inside centre.

They have already approached several internationals, including Peter Grant, Derick Hougaard, Charlie Hodgson, Carlos Spencer and Frederic Michalak.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Applying the thumbscrews. I suppose they figure that O'Connor will stay so long as the Force get another 10. So if they pressure him now while the Force don't they might hit pay dirt.

Funny that they have stopped touting the 'develop his game' issue. I wonder if it was the 10 Wallabies that blew their argument out of the water.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Time to put the pressure on... They wont wait for much longer; he's had extra time...

They don't need to wait another month for O'Connor to make up his mind... The Brumbies aren't that desperate as they have a great pool of talent filling Brumbies HQ, its more his loss if he can't see the long-term advantages... If he wants to stay and single handedly save the Force next season good luck to him... JO'C maybe starting to believe his own press...

I'm interested to see want foreign winger their got line up...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I wonder if it was the 10 Wallabies that blew their argument out of the water.
    Moot point, apparently. The Oracle hath spake and has decreed that the WF contingent will only be bench Wallabies or tacklebags. The Brumbies are alarmed that O'Connor is actually considering that the Force is his best option despite sycophant Harris' constant negative harangues.

Anyone would think Fagan is the one who's desperate as the Brumbies have "a very long history of great Wallabies - but this year not so many" The bell trolls. Has been for about 4 seasons now.

Last edited by shasta; 23-05-09 at 11:21.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I guess I'll have to Sweat it out in my Swedish Sauna........ since the Sub is on hold....

vCash
    James is going to stay at the force. He has stated more than once that he wants to play 12. Why would he go to the Brumbies to play 15? No-comprehendo. We have great development oppertunities here, and he'll be guarenteed game time, something the Brumbies can't give him. The ONLY thing the Brumbies have that we don't is Giteau - but the best way to learn is by experiance rather than by observing, I'm pretty sure James would know that.

JOC is not leaving

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    James is going to stay at the force. He has stated more than once that he wants to play 12. Why would he go to the Brumbies to play 15? No-comprehendo. We have great development oppertunities here, and he'll be guarenteed game time, something the Brumbies can't give him. The ONLY thing the Brumbies have that we don't is Giteau - but the best way to learn is by experiance rather than by observing, I'm pretty sure James would know that.

JOC is not leaving
    From what I've read, heard, watched, I'd have to agree with you Robyn. It seems he knows the Force is the better training ground for him. This is also the thoughts of a couple of young Waratahs players by the looks of things.

Go The Force!

Rookie
    vCash

JOC is not leaving
    i think the force are saying one thing and doing another.
    i hope he stays but the fact is, they say that learning on the field from another player is good, then they say he doesnt need to. its hedging bets, just say you want james to stay and your going to offer him as much as possible, if he doesnt he doesnt and the team can move on.

the one thing about him playing fullback at the brumbies that would make sense is if during this wallabies season that deans has a word to him and tells him he wants him to be the wallaby 15. if that happens then playing with gits and forming a 15/10 combo would be great. if not and he is up for selection at 12 then the force is the best place for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    i think the force are saying one thing and doing another.
    i hope he stays but the fact is, they say that learning on the field from another player is good, then they say he doesnt need to. its hedging bets, just say you want james to stay and your going to offer him as much as possible, if he doesnt he doesnt and the team can move on.
    I'm confused - what have we been saying and not meaning? To a point learning from another player is good, but truly the way to learn is to experiance. We have been straight and said we want James to stay, and from what I understand James is sorting out financial situation with the force, seeing as his Wallaby selection has to call for a pay rise.

the one thing about him playing fullback at the brumbies that would make sense is if during this wallabies season that deans has a word to him and tells him he wants him to be the wallaby 15. if that happens then playing with gits and forming a 15/10 combo would be great. if not and he is up for selection at 12 then the force is the best place for him.
    He's said he doesn't mind, but idealy he wants to play at 12. Not everyone can play with Giteau, and the Brumbies have seemingly infinite backs that can play there. James would have to be asking for a guarentee start to form the combo with Giteau, something I can't see the Brumbies offering, not when they have so many players able to play at 15. Tooma, Lealeafaino and they also want James. I think they have enough talent and don't particularly need James. They also have Tyrone Smith, who's played the whole season (Muddy?) at 12, Mortlock who seems to fancy himself as a winger (what was up with that!?) but also can be moved to 12 if need. They have a great deal of talent some of which will go to waste if James goes, and he could be the talent that goes to waste...

I sincerely believe it would be in his best interests to stay at the force. Trying to build a 10/15 combo with Gits doesn't always work - Drew Mitchell anyone?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

Rookie
    vCash
    I'm confused - what have we been saying and not meaning? To a point learning from another player is good, but truly the way to learn is to experiance. We have been straight and said we want James to stay, and from what I understand James is sorting out financial situation with the force, seeing as his Wallaby selection has to call for a pay rise.

well, illustrated by ben castle being signed to help "teach" the front row, there was alot of chest banging about giteau teaching james while they play. then when gits is leaving there is chest beating about james not needing to play with giteau and that he is better at the force. it seems like a double standard to me, but maybe thats just me. i would prefer the club just simply say, JOC is awesome and we would like him to be here for many years to come and will be making him an offer that reflects that. you dont need to join the arguments, james would know how the force is run and if it is good for him or not

He's said he doesn't mind, but idealy he wants to play at 12. Not everyone can play with Giteau, and the Brumbies have seemingly infinite backs that can play there. James would have to be asking for a guarentee start to form the combo with Giteau, something I can't see the Brumbies offering, not when they have so many players able to play at 15. Tooma, Lealeafaino and they also want James. I think they have enough talent and don't particularly need James. They also have Tyrone Smith, who's played the whole season (Muddy?) at 12, Mortlock who seems to fancy himself as a winger (what was up with that!?) but also can be moved to 12 if need. They have a great deal of talent some of which will go to waste if James goes, and he could be the talent that goes to waste...

I sincerely believe it would be in his best interests to stay at the force. Trying to build a 10/15 combo with Gits doesn't always work - Drew Mitchell anyone?

i said if robbie deans picks him at 15 and says he wants him there till the next world cup for the wallabies then forming a combo with gits at the brumbies would make alot of sense, after world cups alot of senior players move and it may be then that oconnor comes closer to the ball. giteau and barnes are first choice 10/12 when barnes stays fit. if that is the way deans sees the next few years, suring up a starting spot at international level might mean a position change and not playing there for the force might mean he lessons his chances somewhat. the last thing a player of his talent needs to be is another bench player who covers a few positions

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    i said if robbie deans picks him at 15 and says he wants him there till the next world cup for the wallabies then forming a combo with gits at the brumbies would make alot of sense, after world cups alot of senior players move and it may be then that oconnor comes closer to the ball. giteau and barnes are first choice 10/12 when barnes stays fit. if that is the way deans sees the next few years, suring up a starting spot at international level might mean a position change and not playing there for the force might mean he lessons his chances somewhat. the last thing a player of his talent needs to be is another bench player who covers a few positions
    That is the first thing he needs. He's only 19. He's barely played a full season of Super 14. He will be a superstar no matter where he plays and coming off the bench into 10, 12 or 15 is probably what is best for him particularly at Test level. As has been mentioned plenty of times before, Deans played guys like Dan Carter at 12 and 15 and off the bench until he was experienced enough to slot in full time at 10. Stephen Brett is the same deal. He's played a bit of 10 a bit of 12 and a bit of 15.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    He is going to the Brumbies for sure Deans is playing him at number 15 they need a fullback and he will be in the mix with Gits and Mortlock........ Guys hes not staying why would he when he can rub shoulders with these guys.
    I hope I am wrong

vCash
    maybe because he would rather the #12 and he is probs definitely gonna be getting it starting XV.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    He is going to the Brumbies for sure Deans is playing him at number 15 they need a fullback
    James has said he prefers 12. To be honest, we could also play him at 15 keeping Cameron on the wing. During the season James played at 15 2 times I think, he stood up against Terblanche I remember that well We could use a fullback too. Even if Cameron is preferance at 15, there is always a chance of injury, and with our Cameron it seems to be a big chance unfortunately, and having JOC as backup would not be bad at all! However James has said more than once that he ultimately wants to play at 12. The Brumbies have Giteau, T Smith and I'm assuming Lealeafaniino and Tooma can play there too. At the force, well, we'd guarentee him a starting spot today. Infact, we probably have.

Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    and he will be in the mix with Gits and Mortlock........ Guys hes not staying why would he when he can rub shoulders with these guys.
    I hope I am wrong
    Not everyone can rub shoulders with Giteau and Mortlock. Perhaps James wants to do a Giteau himself? Instead of playing in someone's shadow, he'd like to create his own backline than be a sidekick for Giteau? He's more than capable. Also, with so many people WANTING to rub shoulders with these guys, why would he just want to rub shoulders with them at training, and getting splinters in his bottom sitting on the bench all season? We would guarentee him a starting spot at the force, no worries.

Rookie
    vCash
    James has said he prefers 12. To be honest, we could also play him at 15 keeping Cameron on the wing. During the season James played at 15 2 times I think, he stood up against Terblanche I remember that well We could use a fullback too. Even if Cameron is preferance at 15, there is always a chance of injury, and with our Cameron it seems to be a big chance unfortunately, and having JOC as backup would not be bad at all! However James has said more than once that he ultimately wants to play at 12. The Brumbies have Giteau, T Smith and I'm assuming Lealeafaniino and Tooma can play there too. At the force, well, we'd guarentee him a starting spot today. Infact, we probably have.

Not everyone can rub shoulders with Giteau and Mortlock. Perhaps James wants to do a Giteau himself? Instead of playing in someone's shadow, he'd like to create his own backline than be a sidekick for Giteau? He's more than capable. Also, with so many people WANTING to rub shoulders with these guys, why would he just want to rub shoulders with them at training, and getting splinters in his bottom sitting on the bench all season? We would guarentee him a starting spot at the force, no worries.
    the argument for him going to canberra would be to secure the wallabies no#15. as i said earlier that is only two years away and by then james will still be young enough to sign a contract and move to a centre position. he has alot of competition for the wallaby 12, he isnt just signing a contract for super rugby here. he has alot to consider and i hope wherever he goes its the correct decision for him and not for agents or sponsors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast