Thread: Shepherd Vows To Bounce Back

vCash

Shepherd Vows To Bounce Back

Shepherd vows to bounce back as surgery puts career on hold
    Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer

May 22, 2009 10:00pm

WESTERN Force star Cameron Shepherd faces another frustrating three months as he recovers from surgery that has put his Test career on hold.
    But the exciting fullback's desire to pull on the Wallaby jumper has not diminished and he has the backing of national coach Robbie Deans in his decision to go under the knife again.

His latest setback came in Round 11 of the Super 14 season against the Bulls in Pretoria, a knee injury ruling him out of the last two games. It was the third serious injury to his left leg in three seasons.

In 2007 he damaged his left knee against the Brumbies - again in round 11 - but still managed to make the Wallabies World Cup squad and the following year, in just his first touch of the ball in the Test against France in Brisbane, he suffered an horrific ankle break and dislocation.

He made a sensational comeback to the Force with a hat trick of tries against the Brumbies in Canberra but admits he was not fully fit for the season.

On Tuesday he will have arthroscopy on the knee and two weeks later a surgeon will ``clean up'' the ankle, ruling him out of contention for the Wallaby No15 jumper this year.

It will be the third operation on the damaged ankle and he expects to need three months' recovery time.

``The last 10 months have been really frustrating,'' said Shepherd who will be in the last season of his three-year contract with the Force next year.

``It was frustrating knowing that I was not 100 per cent and knowing what I can do when I'm healthy. I felt like I was letting the side down and myself down by not being 100 per cent fit.

"I couldn't train properly and was not able to maintain my full fitness. I felt like I was nursing my body from one week to another just to get over the pain in the ankle.''

With the 2011 World Cup closing in, Shepherd has decided to get all the injuries and niggles cleared away so he can concentrate on the tournament in New Zealand.

``The ankle operation is not a serious reconstruction and I want to get back to full health and get my head right for next season so there are no excuses,'' he said.

``Carrying an injury for the next few years will not be doing anyone any good.

``I've got to look at the big picture and when I spoke to Robbie Deans the other day he was on the same wavelength as me. He agreed with what I'm doing and said I had his support.

While he was impressed with some of the things I had done this season he realised there was a problem.''

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i hope to see him back in the wallabies jersey next year!
    he had a great season when he ran on to the field and even though he didnt play all the games he played extremely well when he did!
    good luck shep!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    even though he didnt play all the games he played extremely well when he did!
    thats what i said...

im glad sheps is taking the time to fix his body in preparation for next year rather then risking further and more serious injury this year. sure, we gotta fix the #15 jersey problem but Sheps definitely should claim it back when he is all fixed and injury free.
    all the best Sheps

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    If 3 tries on the wing can come from Sheps when he's not playing at his best, I'm excited to see him playing at his best on the wing!! But, I'll settle for him being back in our 15 jersey and having him play equally as well there.

vCash
    All the best Shep

vCash
    That 15 shirt is his and his alone.

Having said that the year that was might have done him an odd kind of favour - he's awesome on the wing as well.

Look forward to seeing the depinned version playing in ME next year.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    He'll be the blue blur heading for the corner.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    supping upon the sweet grass of the in-goal area

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    its tough as a player... injuries are unkind... Shep can come back for a big season next year...