Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: James O'Connor Fights to keep James O'Connor at the Force!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Gee Robyn have you done the inevitable and traded Drew in for a younger model this sounds like the beginning of an Infatuation
    No, I just feel James is a fantastic player who would be best to develop his play at the force. If Muddy was calling anyone a good player only because of Giteau I'd jump to their defense also.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

South Africa to help Force retain O'Connor?

As strange as it sounds, the Western Force's hopes of retaining teen sensation James O'Connor rests with the South African Rugby Union.

Rumours are rife O'Connor will follow Matt Giteau to the ACT Brumbies next season, with the Canberra-based franchise also poised to sign flanker Rocky Elsom.

But Western Force general manager of rugby Mitch Hardy is adamant O'Connor will remain in Western Australia if the Force can secure Stormers five-eighth Peter Grant.

However, Grant will not join the Force unless he is given permission by SARU to play for an Australian franchise and still be eligible for Springbok selection.

Grant, who is desperate to add to his five Test caps, was recently selected in South Africa's 29-man squad for an upcoming fixture against a Namibian Invitation XV.

If the Force fails to secure Grant or someone of a similar calibre, O'Connor is as good as gone.

"James has clearly stated that he's waiting to see who the No.10 is for the Force next year and as soon as we've got a No.10 secured he'll make his decision," Hardy said.

"I would like to think that if we sign Grant it would satisfy James' issue there.

"He (Grant) is still our No.1 option and we are waiting to hear back from him at the moment.

"I think he's still waiting to see whether he can play Super 14 in Australia and still be eligible to play for South Africa.

"That's a big thing for him, so we are going to be fairly flexible with that negotiation.

"I'm expecting an email or a phone call over the next couple of days to finalise things there."

O'Connor, who was selected in the Wallabies' 29-man squad for upcoming Tests against the Barbarians, Italy and France, is yet to agree to a new deal with the Australian Rugby Union.

And the 18-year-old may hold off on a final decision - both with the ARU and any potential Super 14 suitors - until the end of June in the hope his value will soar even further in the meantime.

Hardy believed O'Connor's Wallabies aspirations would be best served at the Force, where he could play at either fullback or inside centre.

"We'd give him the opportunity to have the best of both worlds," he said.

"We're not saying he's got the pick of either/or but we're saying we'll manage him in such a way where he can have the opportunity to excel at either position so that he keeps his Test options open."

And with Giteau now gone, Hardy said the Force had the ability to make O'Connor the face of the franchise.

"Certainly I think he's got the potential to really market himself for the game, both on a national level and in WA," he said.

"For him it's about us giving him the tools that he needs to maximise his commercial potential. A number of people at the club will help him do that."

AAP

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/sout...6.html?page=-1

I spose all the speculation helps fill a newpaper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Incorrect. He has looked fantastic all year and will continue to do so. I find it impossible to believe that you think James's game has only been as it has because of Giteau. I'm actually flabbergasted (well, not really but I've been looking for an excuse to use that word the whole reply). I think it was against the Canes (?) James caught the ball or something at the halfway mark and ran his funky little sidestep 5 metres short of the tryline. It was amazing and Giteau may as well have been sitting in the stands for James' perspective. It stuck with me, the kid made some incredible play from nothing and it was great. Muddy that's ridculous, James O'Connor would not have been picked up by the force as such a talent. James.. augh! He's a great player who will I feel develop into possibly a better player than Giteau is.
    You have some fair points... However He started off the bench for the beginning of the season and was covered in defense by Staniforth often... He really fired up in the second half of the season… He has plenty of talent but still has a lot of development in him…

The Brumbies choose who they approach very wisely… I don’t think they’re chasing him hard but are just focused on putting their best proposal forward… The rest is media beat up about O’Connor... The worst outcome would be regardless of where he plays, is, he starts to believe his own press…

As for coach Mitch, I think he is a good forwards coach but has little to offer younger backs...

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    It’s a bit sad that so many here are hanging onto an 18 years olds decision... who really has only played half a season outside a very good player. He wont look so good next year without Giteau. For now JO’C doesn't have the experience to guide the Force around the field, it will take a couple of years...

Bit hard on him I think. Sure Giteau helped, but O'Connor had some brilliant moments even when Giteau wasn't playing so great or involved in the play.

Also weren't most Brumbies fans hanging onto Giteau going home since the day the Force signed him???

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    now James O'Connor needs to sign up on TWF (although EWF then TWF is better).

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    However I won't say its the wisest career move he could make at 18... But hey I cold be very wrong...
    wow sour grapes before an annoucement

vCash
    He wont look so good next year without Giteau.
    Let's re-visit this quote this time next year, hey?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    wow sour grapes before an annoucement
    Yet more proof he's not really a Brumbies supporter, that's a Tah tactic from way back
    You have some fair points... However He started off the bench for the beginning of the season and was covered in defense by Staniforth often.
    because he's freakin' 18 remember the Force is the team that was going to play him to death....you forgot that part of your argument muddy. Better go back and edit that post because now I don't even have to try, you're painting yourself into corners
    Additionally a full range of internationally experienced coaching staff.
    I'm not going into the Mitch debate, but I think JOC has developed fantastically under Mitchell and that our coach is fan-frekaing-tastic Go Mitch!
    I'll have a swing. Muddie, how many number 1 in the World international teams has Andy Friend coached for 4 years to an 82% winning record?

That'd be none wouldn't it? That'd be because John Mitchell is (to my knowledge) the only coach in the world cup era to have achieved such a feat....sure he was sacked after missing out on a World Cup, but so did every AllBlack coach in those days.

At the Brumbies he can settle into fullback and play some 12 which is what Deans wants... Right now what Robbie deans wants is what is best for JO’C that's his ticket to the big time…
    No actually the Brumbies told him very early in the negotiation that the 15 was his.....nothing about the 12.....nothing about development, I can be pretty sure that's the case because Bret Harris seems to delight in reporting every jot and tittle from Brumbyland. In short, the Brumbies want James to sit at the back of their field all year, catching bombs, kicking the ball back to the opposition and taking a run every 1/2 hour.

The Force haven't promised him a spot, they've promised him development, it appears he's pretty interested in that, and is only waiting to see if he'll get some ball from the flyhalf.
    Incorrect. He has looked fantastic all year and will continue to do so. I find it impossible to believe that you think James's game has only been as it has because of Giteau.
    Robyn, for the last three games James made Gits look good by making metres and tries from some massive hospital passes. He doesn't need mat Giteau to open holes for him, he opens his own holes, he's the human lightsaber!

C'mon the

vCash
    GIGS... John Mitchell Coached the All blacks from November 2001 to November 2003 thats only 2 years not 4 years... and for only 28 matches which included a RWC and playing many low ranking teams... To put it in perspective the current All Blacks coach Graham Henry is 87.3% over 63 matches... Mitchell had a strong squad when there was a weak South African, Welsh, Irish and French teams. He had 4 loses 2 each to Australia and England who both made the 2003 RWC final... Mitchell didn't...

Check it out at:

http://www.pickandgo.info/

vCash
    Mitchell is fine with the forwards but younger backs? Mudskipper what do you know that we dont? I thought this was a Force site? It sucks.

vCash
    GIGS... John Mitchell Coached the All blacks from November 2001 to November 2003 thats only 2 years not 4 years... and for only 28 matches which included a RWC and playing many low ranking teams... To put it in perspective the current All Blacks coach Graham Henry is 87.3% over 63 matches... Mitchell had a strong squad when there was a weak South African, Welsh, Irish and French teams. He had 4 loses 2 each to Australia and England who both made the 2003 RWC final... Mitchell didn't...

Check it out at:

24 hours on Google and you didn't find Andy Friend or Owen Finnigan's record coaching the All Blacks?

I'm disappointed!

Thanks for ignoring the point in your rush to check my facts!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    24 hours on Google and you didn't find Andy Friend or Owen Finnigan's record coaching the All Blacks?

I'm disappointed!

Thanks for ignoring the point in your rush to check my facts!
    Facts are for those people who's arguments are so weak they need to rely on them.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    James made Gits look good by making metres and tries from some massive hospital passes. He doesn't need mat Giteau to open holes for him, he opens his own holes, he's the human lightsaber!
    Very true. But I think you should stop trying to bolster your arguments with facts. Trolls can't process them very well. More so if they don't lead to a desired conclusion. This can easily upset the troll and even lead to a massive dummy-spit.

On to more important questions. When the kid signs will you be known as RAGS20? Sounds better than RIGS20.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

Check it out at:

You include the RWC were they play 3 weak nations (4 if you want to include Wales).

1 game cost him his job with an intercept by Stirling "Disability Pension" Mortlock.

NZ was beaten by England when they were at their peak in NZ, only England's second win in NZ in 98 YEARS of Rugby between the nations. Funnily England's first ever win in Australia came in 2003 as well in Melbourne (remember the game where England mauled the ball from a lineout 50 metres down field)

Graham Henry is reaping the rewards of the seeds sown by John Mitcell when he was All Blacks coach considering that John Mitchell took an un-expierienced squad on the NH tour in 2002 or was it 2001 and quickly turned them into world beaters.

I could spend all morning shooting you down, but have other stuff to do

Last edited by jargan83; 29-05-09 at 12:39.

vCash
    Graham Henry is doing a good job at 87% ( Much as I'm no a fan)...
    IT has nothing to do with the King of Siam...
    So stop posting pro Mitchell spam...

2 years not 4 years gentlemen and only 28 matches including the RWC... So he took over to lead the ABs into the 2003 RWC by the NZRU... You can't live on past victories for ever... A better example of Mitchell's coaching abilities is with Pocock and Brown...

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

And Shasta, their only facts, if they’re accurate….
    GIGS I was going to let you off but then thought may have been hoodwinked and are now misinforming others...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast