Thread: Home James, and may the Force be with you

vCash

Post Home James, and may the Force be with you

May 28th, 2009

WALLABIES wonder boy James O'Connor is back home on the Gold Coast to weigh up his future -- and to rest up ahead of Saturday week's international against the Barbarians in Sydney.

The sublimely gifted utility back -- set to start at fullback for his country -- is wrestling with whether to join his idol and former Western Force teammate Matt Giteau at the Brumbies on a two-year deal, or remain in Perth with the team which has so spectacularly nurtured him.

With the Brumbies expected to finalise contracts with a number of existing players shortly, just two spots will still be up for grabs in 2010 -- and they have been reserved for Rocky Elsom and O'Connor.

O'Connor is expected to make a decision within a fortnight but is tipped to follow Matt Giteau and Josh Valentine to Canberra

"It's going to be a hard decision. They are both awesome opportunities," O'Connor told The Gold Coast Bulletin.

"It's going to be down to where I think I can best develop in the lead up to the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

"Obviously, the thought of linking up with Matt Giteau is very tempting, because he's been a big influence on my career, but at the same time the Western Force have helped develop me and I've been happy there.

"I don't think you could make a wrong decision -- it will be more a matter of making a slightly better decision."

The kid from Paradise Point with the pop idol looks isn't letting the plaudits heaped on him from an array of admirers, not least Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, go to his head.

"It's great to get compliments but really I'm not getting too carried away with anything," he insisted.

"I try not to read too much that's written about me and just get on with enjoying my rugby."

Normally more at home at inside centre, O'Connor is not fazed at taking on the mantle of fullback for his country.

With the chance to nail down a regular staring spot ahead of the duel against Italy in Canberra on June 13, O'Connor explained: "Nobody has really stepped forward to claim that role and it will be good to be able to try and make it my own.

"It's great to have the backing of the coach and I'm just going to try to take it in my stride.

"It's a dream come true for me. I feel like I've been rewarded for some good games for the Force during the Super 14 season."

O'Connor knows he is still at base camp as he sets his sights on the summit.

"There's still a lot of development in me," he said.

"I need to work on a few aspects of my game, but I don't think there's too much pressure because people don't expect too much of me because of my age, but I'm hard on myself because I always want to excel."

O'Connor was originally selected in the Australian under-20s squad for next month's world cup tournament in Japan but Deans had a last-minute change of heart as the clamour for O'Connor became impossible to ignore.

Deans picked him for last year's end-of-season Wallabies tour of Hong Kong and Europe, where, at the age of 18 years and 126 days, he became the second youngest Test player for Australia when he came on for the final minutes of their 30-20 win over Italy in Padova.

O'Connor also welcomed the announcement of a bid to bring a Super 15 team to his home city, adding: "That would be incredible. Queensland is a great rugby state and I'm sure there would be room for the Reds and a Gold Coast team.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...ast-sport.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    skip, do you just type "o'connor signs for brumbies" into google to see what articles come back....?.....i mean the goldcoast.com.au....youre having a laugh!!

vCash
    Yer...this time... a slow rugby news day... this ones rather funny and what a rubbish headline.... But I posted it because it does actually directly quote JO'C where many articles don't....