Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reds searching for silver lining in Ioane

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Reds searching for silver lining in Ioane

Wayne Smith | May 26, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THERE may be a silver lining for Queensland in the dark cloud of Rocky Elsom's apparent decision to join the Brumbies, with third-party sponsors now likely to redirect their money to the Reds' campaign to retain Digby Ioane.

Barely had the "Rocky, Rocky" chants subsided following Elsom's storming man-of-the-match performance for Leinster in the Heineken Cup final victory over Leicester on the weekend, than the Wallabies blindside flanker messaged QRU chairman Peter Lewis, the man who had spearheaded Queensland's attempt to bring him to Ballymore.

Lewis declined yesterday to reveal the contents of Elsom's message but he didn't need to. His disconsolate tone said all that needed to be said.

Yet again the Reds, having lost Hugh McMeniman on Friday to an as yet undetermined Japanese or European club, had been penalised for finishing in the bottom three of Super rugby, a position they have occupied for the past six seasons.

The franchise is caught in a Catch 22 bind -- it desperately needs to recruit outside players because it is so weak, but because it is so weak no one is prepared to jeopardise his rugby career by signing on with them.

Without abandoning hope of yet persuading former Nudgee College graduate Elsom to return to Brisbane, Lewis has declared the retention of Ioane -- who has indicated he is likely to accept a lucrative Japanese offer -- the Reds' number one priority.

"Digby was the most dangerous player in the Super 14 this season and we want to keep him," Lewis said.

Much now hinges on Ioane's meeting tomorrow with Wallabies coach Robbie Deans and Reds coach Phil Mooney but the clincher could be whether any third-party deals materialise for the 23-year-old four-Test winger.

Indications are that no third-party deals had been finalised for Elsom and that the QRU merely intended to advise him on his arrival in Brisbane of those third parties who had indicated a willingness to sponsor him.

It may have been that such a cumbersome, hands-off arrangement was the final straw that broke the back of the Elsom deal but, whatever, the Reds now could place the same option before Ioane.

It is understood third-party Queensland sponsors were prepared to throw in $100,000 to clinch the Elsom deal. With Ioane indicating on the weekend he would be prepared to stay with the Reds if a further $125,000 could be found on top of the Australian Rugby Union's base offer of $175,000, hopes are rising that a package acceptable to the dynamic winger might yet be cobbled together.

The X-factor in Ioane's decision could well be whether the apparent annual $700,000 differential between the ARU/QRU offer and what he has been offered to go to Japan, money he says is important to help him take care of his family, will be enough to entice him to move so far away from his family network.

This is, after all, the same player who was granted a release from the Western Force in 2007 to enable him to return to the east coast to be closer to his family.

But while the Ioane and Elsom deals play themselves out, tension is building among the four Australian Super 14 franchises, not only over third-party sponsorships and how the players and their agents tap into them, but over the broader issue of contracting.

The ARU provides each of the franchises with $4.3 million annually to meet the salary costs of their 30-33 players, with additional top-up money allocated by the national union to those players identified as valuable to the Wallabies.

While a standard Super rugby contract is $110,000, the franchises are able to push that up to $157,000 by various inventive means. If all 33 players in a franchise squad were to receive top dollar, that would result in a wages bill of $5.18m -- forcing the states to find almost another $900,000 to supplement their ARU allocation.

With most unions operating barely in the black, that clearly is not possible under the present arrangement.

But if the ARU wants to head off a repeat of those creative deals that landed the Force in so much hot water, it may need to revisit this vexed issue.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Robbie Deans flies to Melbourne to convince Digby Ioane to stay

May 29, 2009 .Wallabies coach Robbie Deans flew to Melbourne on Thursday to try to convince dynamic back Digby Ioane not to quit Australian rugby.

The Queensland Reds three-quarter, who enjoyed an outstanding Super 14 campaign, is wrestling with an offer reportedly worth $1.1 million a season to sign with a Japanese club.

He was unhappy with the offer he received from the ARU but has to weigh that up against his ambition of playing for the Wallabies in the 2011 World Cup.

"I change my mind all the time on what I'm going to do," Ioane admitted. "I love playing for the Reds, I want to go to the next World Cup and I want to look after my family."

Deans met Ioane and his mother Fia at the family home on the outskirts of Melbourne to discuss his future.

And he is the person who could get Ioane to remain a part of Australian rugby.

"Robbie really believed in me last year," Ioane said. "I respect what he has to say a lot."

Ioane was a certainty to be selected in the 29-man Wallabies squad if he had not recently undergone shoulder surgery.

His goal was to be fit for the Wallabies end-of-season grand slam tour of Europe.

It would be a huge blow if Ioane were to go overseas as he still has unlimited potential, which Deans could develop,

Reds coach Phil Mooney is hopeful that Ioane will stay.

"I'm more positive now than I was even a week back," he said.

"We had a concerted approach from Robbie on behalf of the ARU and obviously Queensland."

Mooney believes if Ioane had not hurt his shoulder at the end of the Super 14 he would have been rewarded as the Australian player of the year.

"That is taking nothing away from George Smith, we all know the impact he has and what a great player he is," Mooney said.

"But I think Digby's season was every bit as good."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...016959,00.html

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    "I change my mind all the time on what I'm going to do," Ioane admitted.
    Hahaha - don't we all know it!

vCash
    Dunno about anyone else but I'm getting very tired of this dog's breakfast contracting system. It needs a drastic overhaul with the provinces given much more control over who gets paid what. I really can't see the current system being equitable when a 5th S15 team is introduced. Wallabies on match payments + wining bonus only. Equal split of player salary funding with a full audit of payments similar to the NRL. The current system has produced skullduggery with the player sponsorships, weakening of The Reds, huge distractions for players during S14 and the suggestion of favourable treatment for some in ARU contracting. What's to like about it?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I must admit I never saw this coming. Never did it cross my mind a year ago that there would be all this huff and puff over Digby "Scissorhands" Ioane. How times have changed and now we have Digby "Show-me-the Money!" Ioane.

'Onya bro.

vCash
    I'd have to say I don't like either Digby. I'd rather have Digby "I can catch now and I'm prepared to commit to a rugby programme" Ioane.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Qld Reds digging in for Digby IoaneJim Morton
    May 29, 2009 - 5:34PM .
    Queensland officials are displaying renewed confidence destructive Wallabies flyer Digby Ioane will ignore overseas riches to stay in Australia.

But the Reds may face a fight from the Western Force and the already star-laden Brumbies to keep him at Ballymore.

A day after Wallabies coach Robbie Deans travelled to Melbourne to convince Ioane to continue his highly-promising Test career, the Reds on Friday believed the dynamic three-quarter was moving towards re-signing with the Australian Rugby Union.

"With Digby, we're far more hopeful now of keeping than we were a week or two back, so that's really positive," Reds coach Phil Mooney said.

"He's now talking about how good it will be to play in the next World Cup."

In addition to Deans' advice he would forever live to regret a move abroad that would prematurely end his international career, the Queensland Rugby Union have been working hard behind the scenes to offer Ioane a larger contract.

Led by chairman Peter Lewis, the QRU are giving the 23-year-old the assurances he's been looking for after last week saying he felt "insulted" by the ARU's initial $175,000 base contract when he'd received overseas offers up to $1.1 million.

But the Reds hold concerns the Force and Brumbies are hovering as they both fight for the services of teenage sensation James O'Connor.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan denied he'd spoken to Ioane or an adviser but admitted they would be interested in his services if they missed O'Connor.

"If James wasn't to come here and he was to stay in the west we wouldn't be looking for a 15 or 12 but a winger to come into our squad," Fagan said.

Ioane, one of rugby's hottest properties after being the most penetrative Australian player in this year's Super 14, is set to finalise his plans next week.

Former NSW fullback Peter Hewat, now playing for London Irish, said he would be "silly" to give up a burgeoning Test career at his age and could reap the big money overseas in his late-20s, early-30s.

Mooney agreed.

"The challenge of being a part of this (Reds) side here and playing for a national side that can potentially win a World Cup are wonderful challenges that you look back on the end of your career and be glad you took," he said.

The added intrigue to the Ioane saga came as Reds skipper James Horwill celebrated his 24th birthday by re-signing with Queensland and Australia through to the 2011 World Cup.

Indications are vice-captain Berrick Barnes will follow with a new two-year deal in the coming weeks.

It turns the tide of losses at the negotiating table for the Reds after Test forward Hugh McMeniman announced he would play overseas next year and prime targets Rocky Elsom, Richard Brown and Drew Mitchell all opted against returning to their home state.

Horwill, set to partner Nathan Sharpe in Australia's second row for the start the Test season, never entertained offers from overseas or interstate.

The Reds' loss of McMeniman and Elsom's likely move to the Brumbies has Brumbies back-rowers Mitchell Chapman and Julian Salvi in Queensland's sights.

But which man joins the Reds could well be decided by former All Blacks flanker Daniel Braid, who will make up his mind in the next fortnight whether to have another year in Brisbane.

If openside flanker Braid stays, then blindside flanker Chapman will be the preferred recruit.

But if Braid returns to New Zealand, then natural ball pilferer Salvi would be the main target.

© 2009 AAP

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/bre...0529-bppa.html

vCash

Cool Digby Ioane weighs up job options

Bret Harris | May 30, 2009
    The Australian

WALLABIES winger Digby Ioane may stay in Australia, but not necessarily with the Queensland Reds.

Ioane is undecided about whether to accept a lucrative offer from Japan or remain in Australia to be part of the 2011 World Cup campaign in New Zealand.

It is assumed Ioane would continue to play for the Reds if he re-signs with the ARU, but it is understood he may be interested in exploring other opportunities in Australia.

Ioane is also believed to be interested in playing for his home city of Melbourne if it secures the fifth Australian franchise in an expanded Super 15 series in 2011.

Western Force chief executive Vern Reid said the Perth-based team would be interested in talking to Ioane.

Ioane played for the Force in 2006 and 2007 before returning to Queensland, where he began his Super rugby career.

"Digby played good football for us and he has had a good season this year," Reid said.

"I'm sure we would talk to him."

And the Brumbies are bound to be interested if they fail to recruit Wallabies utility back James O'Connor from the Force.

The ACT side is looking for an import to play on the wing, but it would make more sense to recruit an Australian Test winger.

But if O'Connor goes to Canberra, the Brumbies would not be able to afford Ioane.

And Melbourne, in the event it secures the licence for the Super expansion team, is keen for Ioane, who was born in New Zealand but grew up in Melbourne, where he played for the Rebels in the defunct Australian Rugby Championship.

"Digby Ioane is a Melbourne boy and Melbourne is where his heart is," Victorian Rugby Union chairman Gary Gray said.

"If Digby wants to come to Melbourne, we would welcome him with open arms. He is a great person and a brilliant footballer.

"But it's premature for us to be talking about players."

Emphasising the point that a decision on the location of the fifth Australian team was yet to be made, Gray confirmed speculation that Leinster's Australian coach Michael Cheika would be considered as the foundation coach at a Melbourne team.

Cheika guided the Rocky Elsom-inspired Leinster to victory last weekend over English club Leicester in the final of the Heineken Cup.

"Michael Cheika has obviously done a great job at Leinster," Gray said.

"The first thing we learnt from the Rebels was culture. Cheika developed a culture at Leinster where the players played for each other and the jersey. Rocky Elsom is also a Melbourne boy and we'd be very happy if he came home."

Meanwhile, Australian under-20s hooker Damien Fitzpatrick will decide early next week whether to remain with the Waratahs or accept an offer from the Force.

Fitzpatrick, 19, is behind Wallabies hookers Tatafu Polota-Nau and Adam Freier at the Waratahs, whereas he would be able to secure a starting position at the Force.

It is understood Fitzpatrick, regarded as a future Wallabies hooker, would prefer to stay in Sydney to develop his game, but the Waratahs would need to match the Force's offer, believed to be $50,000 better.

"We are doing all we can to keep Damien, but we can't compete on dollars," Waratahs chief executive Jim L'Estrange said.

"Hopefully, he'll make a rugby decision."

The Force is talking also to new Wallabies skills coach Richard Graham, who is on his way back to Australia after several years coaching in Britain, including a stint as head coach of Saracens.

And discussions are continuing with former Waratahs attack coach Todd Louden, who is coaching Japanese club Ricoh.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

vCash
    Wouldn't it be great to get Digby back! He was awesome this year. We did the right thing by him - maybe he'll do the right thing by us!!

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 30-05-09 at 12:00.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2404 View Post
    Wouldn't it be great to get Digby back! He was awesome this year. We did the right thing by him - maybe he'll do the right thing by us!!
    Perhaps it’s Possible... if he got along with John Mitchell... At least he didn't vote against him...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Perhaps it’s Possible... if he got along with John Mitchell... At least he didn't vote against him...
    I'm curious Muddy. Would you care to share with us your opinions/feelings about David Nucifora?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Bret Harris | May 30, 2009
    The Australian

Meanwhile, Australian under-20s hooker Damien Fitzpatrick will decide early next week whether to remain with the Waratahs or accept an offer from the Force.

Fitzpatrick, 19, is behind Wallabies hookers Tatafu Polota-Nau and Adam Freier at the Waratahs, whereas he would be able to secure a starting position at the Force.

It is understood Fitzpatrick, regarded as a future Wallabies hooker, would prefer to stay in Sydney to develop his game, but the Waratahs would need to match the Force's offer, believed to be $50,000 better.

"We are doing all we can to keep Damien, but we can't compete on dollars," Waratahs chief executive Jim L'Estrange said.

"Hopefully, he'll make a rugby decision."
    Yep, I hope he'll make a rugby decision - game time with the Force or not even bench time with the Waratahs.

After all, who got the most players in the Wallaby squad this year?
    Who got the most new caps in the Wallaby squad this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'm curious Muddy. Would you care to share with us your opinions/feelings about David Nucifora?
    No mate... If Digby respects MJ perhaps he will come back... if he doesn't he wont..., I 'd think Vern has a clue so its back down to MJ because his off-sider resigned... I'd recommending looking for a new coach in 2011...

MSB.... Digby would be a good signing he has plenty of potential…

vCash
    i dont see why digby would move to perth, if he is chasing the money he will go overseas, realistically perth isnt that much better then japan in relation to his family.

vCash
    Muddy, yep, Digby would be a good re-signing (after all, he was our first 11), but seeing as he's said money's important to him I doubt we can match any offer from Japan (even with all the under-the-table deals you seem to think every Force player is on).

However, my post was about Fitzpatrick who has plenty of potential and could sign for the club which has the best recent record of turning potential into Wallaby.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast