Thread: Brown sees wolves in Baa-Baas clothing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brown sees wolves in Baa-Baas clothing

June 5, 2009

This Wallaby won't be listening to any Barbarian talk that bonhomie is the name of their game, writes Greg Growden.

THE extroverted Wallabies No.8 Richard Brown laughs at suggestions that the Barbarians will be easy opponents at the Sydney Football Stadium tomorrow night because the invitational team has come to Australia just to have a bit of fun.

The Barbarians have been pushing the line this week that they will be adhering to the club's 120-year long edict of primarily playing with spirit and adventure, where bonhomie rather than victory is the prime aim.

But Brown hasn't forgotten what occurred at Wembley Stadium last December when the Barbarians team, coached by Jake White and Eddie Jones, played a highly physical, confrontational and occasionally spiteful brand of football, which was tougher than some of the Tests the Wallabies had been involved in last season.

Brown played until the 46th minute, and hasn't forgotten the bruises from that brutal night.

When told yesterday the Barbarians were treating the match as a relaxed affair, Brown replied: "They said that the last time we played them, and I reckon I was broken for a good three weeks after that game.

"They can say what they want, but I won't be listening to it. That was a wild game last year. It was pretty intense."

Adding to the edge this time around is that Brown and his fellow back-rowers, George Smith and Matt Hodgson, will be confronting two of their own - Rocky Elsom and Phil Waugh, who are in Barbarians colours.

Brown knows they will be dwarfed by the Barbarians back row, but what's new? He is accustomed to this all the time at the Western Force, where he and Hodgson, who is playing his first game for the Wallabies, and David Pocock, who is on the reserves bench, are willing to take on everyone, no matter how large.

"At the Force all us back-rowers try and outdo each other in how much work we can get through. We're always coming up against bigger back-rowers, so it's forever a challenge. We're used to it. It's nothing different."

But Brown stuttered when asked if that size discrepancy could work in his advantage.

"How do you use Rocky Elsom [in the opposition line-up] to your advantage? I'd love to know how. We just have to rise for the occasion. He's big, he's physical, he's good in the lineout, he's a handful. That just makes you ask more of yourself.

"And when doesn't Phil Waugh play an aggressive, hard-nosed game? He is going to be a handful. He is going to be hard on the ball. He will basically be a hard man to control the whole match c He will be highly motivated, and will be asking a lot of us."

While delighted that he has held onto the Wallabies No.8 spot, Brown was as pleased that Hodgson will be alongside him. "I'm really happy c he's been given this opportunity, because you all saw how hard he worked during the Super 14.
    "He might be the shortest No.6 to ever play for Australia, but I reckon he will do the jersey justice. He'll be good. He will surprise a lot of people.

"Matt's really taken on the role of No.6 probably better than other players I've seen, because he's quite useful in the lineouts, and you'll see that on Saturday night. And he's great at the breakdown, where he's on a par with some of the best I've seen."

Australia's most experienced forward - George Smith - was similarly looking forward to what Hodgson can provide.

"He's developed pretty quickly, and his reaction in being able to turn defence into attack is pretty good," Smith said. "He gets himself involved really well in games, which is a good sign. You don't see too many people willing to get in there and do the hard stuff, back up again, be on his feet and be involved in the next phase."

With that comes yet another front-on battle with his long- time back-row colleague and foe - Waugh. They first found themselves on the opposite sides of the field on the northern peninsula in the under-13s.

"You know what you're going to get when Phil and I are up against each other," Smith said. "We'll be playing hard at the ball, like to link up with the backs, and maybe throw a grubber in there now and again."

¡ Wallabies winger Drew Mitchell will today announce he will be involved with the third division Balmain sub-districts team, which includes coaching their Colts side

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Wolves--- Sheep's clothing---- wheres Shepherd? when you need him----

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!