Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No room in comfort zone for Drew

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

No room in comfort zone for Drew

WALLABIES winger Drew Mitchell has boldly declared he wants to be the next Lote Tuqiri by becoming a mainstay of the Australia side into the next decade. (I wonder if he means "I want to be dropped". The kick early on that went straight out is a good start)

Picked ahead of his new Waratahs teammate for last night's clash with the Barbarians, Mitchell said he wants to emulate Tuqiri's success at international level, even if that means keeping the 29-year-old out of the Wallabies squad.

"I've started a few games and been benched a few games. I've never really held down a spot and that's something I'd love the opportunity to do," the 25-year-old told The Sun-Herald.

"I had the spot this weekend but by no means does it mean I've got it next weekend. It's always something I've been striving for.

"The more you play for the Wallabies the more comfortable you are and you can make more of an impact then if you're not, I think."

Mitchell, who has linked with the Waratahs for the next two years after three years at the Western Force, said he expected exiled league convert Tuqiri to be back in Robbie Deans's squad sooner rather than later, but vowed not to give up his spot for the veteran Test star.

"You wouldn't know by looking at Lote's efforts at training that he didn't make the first side. For him, he's played for so long now that when he gets his opportunity again, and he will, that he will grab it with both hands," a wary Mitchell said.

"So I guess it's up to me and the other guys in the back line at the moment to make sure we play well, to try and keep him out. It's not going to be easy though.

"Hopefully I can do my job to at least keep Lote from getting my position."

Mitchell has no shortage of speed or talent, but the enigmatic flyer knows only consistency will see him scale the heights of Tuqiri at international level. And he's watched the dual international closely enough to know he needs to follow the ball.

"I can't afford to coast through parts of the game and wait for action to come to me," he said.

"If I'm not getting enough touches out wide I've got to go in looking for it. There have been times when I've found myself not being involved in the game, so I really want to up my work rate off the ball. Defence is another area that's just so important these days.

"I have never felt like I'm a staple of the team and I still don't. I mean, it's a couple of sleepless nights before the announcement of the squad.

"But you need to be consistently good to do that and that's something I'm striving for. Consistency is something that's eluded me at times and it's just a matter of trying to make sure it becomes a big part of my game.

"Everyone wants to play as much as they can and I need to take my opportunities. But at this point, I'm just happy to be in the squad."

Mitchell is yet to discuss with Waratahs coach Chris Hickey whether he will play fullback or wing in Super 14 next season, but insisted he was just as comfortable in both positions and would be happy to play either for state or country. "I don't really have a preference between fullback and winger in all honesty. I guess the style of footy factors into it and getting good ball out wide, but I don't think there's too much of a difference in playing fullback," he said.

"I guess the only difference is in counter-attack where you're probably more central. Either way, you've pretty much got a licence to roam."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    WALLABIES winger Drew Mitchell has boldly declared he wants to be the next Lote Tuqiri by becoming a mainstay of the Australia side into the next decade.
    Oh dear God. Drew, you do NOT want to be the next overpaid, worthless, pay-checking-using monster who relies on his reputiation and big fat mouth to be selected week in week out. Please!

"You wouldn't know by looking at Lote's efforts at training that he didn't make the first side. For him, he's played for so long now that when he gets his opportunity again, and he will, that he will grab it with both hands," a wary Mitchell said.
    Lote's gonna WORK to get a start. Well. This could be interesting.

Mitchell is yet to discuss with Waratahs coach Chris Hickey whether he will play fullback or wing in Super 14 next season, but insisted he was just as comfortable in both positions and would be happy to play either for state or country. "I don't really have a preference between fullback and winger in all honesty. I guess the style of footy factors into it and getting good ball out wide, but I don't think there's too much of a difference in playing fullback," he said.
    I thought he was definetly playing FB for them?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Should have stayed at the Force we breed them well here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post

.....I thought he was definetly playing FB for them?
    The way the Tahs have been playing, he will need to play fullback if he wants to see the ball!

(Ps Robyn, I think it was all a misquote - Drew really wants to be your avatar! )

vCash
    basically:

"i want to play fullback, until i get that gold jumper, then i only want to be a winger...honest"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    The way the Tahs have been playing, he will need to play fullback if he wants to see the ball!

(Ps Robyn, I think it was all a misquote - Drew really wants to be your avatar! )
    Indeed. Aww Bet he does. But I'm afraid I'm keeping this avatar. Forever. And ever. Sorry Drew!

Jono - yeup. Drew's deluded.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    If Drew still thinks he is Fullback at Super 14 level he is deluded

vCash
    As we saw on Saturday night, Drew is a true finisher who knows his way to the line. He needs to stay at wing. Tuqiri will have an easier time replacing Turner who had a quieter (but still very solid) game then Mitchell.

Yeah Mitchell

vCash
    Additionally Lote Tuqiri could be come a 13... with a faster man outside him... Lote takes 2 men to mark him which opens the field it up for others... I think Deans will starve Lote and he will come back extremely hungry for the Tri-nations... We may see a rampaging Lote next month… He still has plenty of good rugby in him… and if the Wallabies backs utilise him properly he can return to the dangerous appearance on the field he once had...

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Lote outside centre.....

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Lote replacing Mortlock?

Mortlock has a great game on Saturday - better than he's played all season for the Brumbies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    Lote outside centre.....
    It's where he's played all his rugby for about 3 years why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Lote replacing Mortlock?

Mortlock has a great game on Saturday - better than he's played all season for the Brumbies.
    This here's the rub, will Lote get it over the many and varied options at 13.

Ioane, Cross, Horne and Mortlock already have dibs on the position, and Certainly the first two names would have credit above Lote IMHO

C'mon the

vCash
    Lote at 13... I dont think robyn wants him in the team anywhere... But especially not taking Drew's place on the wing...

Yeah Mitchell

vCash
    If Lote was used as a wing/outside centre Cross may have trouble squeezing into the match day 22... But then Cross didn't make the 22 against the Baabaas with no Lote.... I can't say much about Ioane as he is out of the picture with injury this Wallabies season... Horne is a future possible but will need a very good S14 season to get amongst the real contenders... and that maybe tough with Coach Hickeys game tactics...

vCash
    Cross wasn't in consideration for the side due to injury...

Yeah Mitchell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast