Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SFS has more appeal for Tests

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

SFS has more appeal for Tests

Wayne Smith | June 08, 2009

Article from: The Australian

ALL future Sydney Tests, excluding Bledisloe Cup matches against the All Blacks, could be played at the Sydney Football Stadium following the success of the Barbarians venture, Australian Rugby Union chief John O'Neill said yesterday.

While hopes of a sell-out crowd at the 42,000-seat SFS were not quite realised on Saturday night, O'Neill was still delighted the non-Test Wallabies-Barbarians game drew 39,500 spectators.

"We came in on budget and we're very happy to get a result like that on a long weekend when there was no school sport played, so people would have taken the opportunity to get away," O'Neill said.

"The atmosphere was terrific. The members showed up in droves and had to spill over into other areas and while some of the corporate boxes weren't occupied, that's pretty much an indication of where corporate Australia is right at the moment."

O'Neill said there were "genuine plans" to expand the capacity of the SFS to 55,000 which would even enable the ground to host South Africa Tests during the Tri- Nations series.

"Apart from the All Blacks, it's difficult to see any other Tests drawing crowds of more than 60,000. Suncorp Stadium (in Brisbane) is the best rugby ground in Australia and its capacity is 55,000. I just think these dedicated rectangular stadiums are what people want.

"Stadium Australia (ANZ Stadium at Homebush) wasn't built for rugby. It was built for the Olympics, and fair enough, but it's not a rectangular ground. And neither is the MCG which is a magnificent cricket ground but not one designed for rugby."

The issue of whether Tests should be played at the SFS or at the Olympic stadium has become a vexed one in Australian rugby, with the supporters of Moore Park claiming the SFS better services the rugby strongholds of the north shore, northern beaches and the eastern suburbs, while advocates of ANZ Stadium insist major matches have to be taken to Homebush if the game is ever to build a significant following in western Sydney.

But it wasn't just the venue that the ARU regarded as a success but the event itself. O'Neill revealed that not only were more Barbarians matches envisaged in the future but that the ARU was even contemplating holding two-match series against the legendary British-based club.

"It might be better if we had back-to-back games," said O'Neill, who is well aware that the Barbarians, as an invitation side, had little chance to develop any cohesion or teamwork against a team like the Wallabies, who are listed third on the IRB world rankings.

True, the Barbarians did play something of a two-match series on this occasion, beating England 33-26 at Twickenham on May 31 before catching a flight to Australia that evening for their match seven days later with the Wallabies. Nonetheless, coach Dai Young used two almost entirely different starting XVs for the matches, with only five players doubling up.

With international rugby becoming more and more structured, the Barbarians can no longer rely on the individual skills of brilliant players simply ad-libbing to compete against the likes of the Wallabies, All Blacks and Springboks, and the club might find that two-match series would work to its advantage.

"Playing the Barbarians might be a genuine alternative to the inbound Tests," said O'Neill, who long has complained that northern hemisphere countries tend to send second- and even third-string sides to Australia during the June Test window.

"The IRB is working very hard to ensure the regulations are enforced and the best possible teams are sent here each June."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    IF Rugby tests go back to the SFS it will be an enormously popular decision for the Sydney rugby fans... The main draw back is parking at SFS however less people need to drive at a more central location... so perhaps some balance can be found...

Bring Rugby back to the heart of the city… Sydney Rugby Fans have been asking for this for years…

vCash
    What the f@ck is wrong with those Sydney Rugby supporters. They have a fantastic multi purpose stadium and it's only half way to Katoomba. The Mungos use it all the time and there appears to be plenty of seats.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    IF Rugby tests go back to the SFS it will be an enormously popular decision for the Sydney rugby fans... The main draw back is parking at SFS however less people need to drive at a more central location... so perhaps some balance can be found...

Bring Rugby back to the heart of the city… Sydney Rugby Fans have been asking for this for years…
    I was at the SFS on Saturday for the first time. Clearly it's a better rugby stadium but it's in the wrong location. It just doesn't have the smooth transportation infrastructure that's in place for Homebush.

Traffic congestion to get to the ground and especially away from the ground at the end of the match was a very significant negative. There's little chance of building a railway line to anywhere near the SFS so it's hard to see what the options might be. Buses to/from central were laid on but with the large amount of car parking spaces it simply meant that road congestion was exasperated for both buses and cars. We just walked from SFS to central. Twenty five minutes or so. Only a couple of pubs along the way (that I could see) and we were a couple of minutes too far behind the front of the walkers to stand a chance of getting into one of them.

Great stadium, cr@p supporting infrastructure.

vCash
    The parking infrastructure isn't good at the SFS but everything else wins hands down.

Not sure about the call on the buses- in many years of travelling to/from Moore Park I've never had any serious dramas getting a bus back to Central. Definately no more or less painful than getting buses out of the Olympic site.

There might not be many pubs heading down Forveaux St, but its still many more that out at Homebush, but there's a few heading in the various other directions if you're in the market for a post-game pint.

If they get an expansion to 55,000 seats at Moore Park, it's a no-brainer (and for anything short of a Tri-Nations or Lions Test, it's a no-brainer at it's current capacity too- commerical obligations not withstanding)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Article View Post
    The issue of whether Tests should be played at the SFS or at the Olympic stadium has become a vexed one in Australian rugby, with the supporters of Moore Park claiming the SFS better services the rugby strongholds of the north shore, northern beaches and the eastern suburbs, while advocates of ANZ Stadium insist major matches have to be taken to Homebush if the game is ever to build a significant following in western Sydney.
    People in western Sydney won't go to a match at SFS? Seriously, how big is Sydney? If the Wallabies were playing in Bunbury (assuming there was a stadium big enough) how many people would travel from Perth? Sydney should be thankful they get three tests.

vCash
    If the Wallabies were playing in Bunbury (assuming there was a stadium big enough) how many people would travel from Geladton, Karratha, Wittenoom and Whyalla ()

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    If one person travelled from Wittenoom,it would represent a 25% turnout!

vCash
    SFS transport is an issue but if you plan your departure its not so bad, the same with pubs its pub central in Paddo, Surry Hills and East Sydney... A little more planing and you'll have a great night out next time... The odd test match could still go at the Olympic stadium but the city is what people want to come back to live rugby....

If they can get 55-60 thousand there bring it on… The NSW government have talked about a subway link…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    The parking infrastructure isn't good at the SFS but everything else wins hands down.

Not sure about the call on the buses- in many years of travelling to/from Moore Park I've never had any serious dramas getting a bus back to Central. Definately no more or less painful than getting buses out of the Olympic site.
    Here Here

I have travelled to and from SFS/SCG plenty of times when I lived in Sydney without serious drama. Even when I did the SCG Tour in 2007 in only took 10-15 mins to walk back to Central Tain Station

The NSW government have talked about a subway link…
    They have, but regarding new rail infrastructure they seem to only talk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Here Here

I have travelled to and from SFS/SCG plenty of times when I lived in Sydney without serious drama. Even when I did the SCG Tour in 2007 in only took 10-15 mins to walk back to Central Tain Station

They have, but regarding new rail infrastructure they seem to only talk
    Yep... this NSW Gov are not ones for action... however if games went back there would be a greater need and a good city investment for events here... Even if there was a subway I'd still prefer to walk and have a few ales along the way...

vCash
    Yep... this NSW Gov are not ones for action... however if games went back there would be a greater need and a good city investment for events here... Even if there was a subway I'd still prefer to walk and have a few ales along the way...
    As if having the existing SFS usage, as well as SCG, Randwick and UNSW jsut down the road weren't reason enough?

Dreamin... sad, but true

(spoken as someone who enjoyed(?) many an morning/afternoon on, or in the line for, the 890, 891, or 895 (i think they were) to Uni)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Even when I did the SCG Tour in 2007 in only took 10-15 mins to walk back to Central Tain Station
    you must have longer legs than me

SFS transport is an issue but if you plan your departure its not so bad, the same with pubs its pub central in Paddo, Surry Hills and East Sydney... A little more planing and you'll have a great night out next time...
    we had a great night anyway and the walk just meant that we were either out a bit later or had one less beer. I wonder which it was ...........

vCash
    Even if there was a subway I'd still prefer to walk and have a few ales along the way...
    It's not that far anyway

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yes that would just make my day. The NSW government which is already running up big debts spending even more on a subway link and stadium expansion and then being bailed out by the Federal government who's economic situation is being propped up by WA. All the while we are playing our rugby at an not redeveloped MES and watching tests at Subiaco Oval.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast