Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE SIGN 43-TEST PROP MATT DUNNING

vCash

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE SIGN 43-TEST PROP MATT DUNNING

The Emirates Western Force has secured the services of Test prop Matt Dunning for the next two seasons.

Dunning adds a wealth of experience to the WA side after nine seasons with the NSW Waratahs, where he won 99 caps, including 90 appearances in Super Rugby.

The Canadian-born prop made his Test debut for the Wallabies during the 2003 Rugby World Cup and now has 43 caps to his name, the most recent of which came on the 2008 Spring Tour.

The versatile 115kg veteran suffered a cruel blow in the tour-ending clash with the Barbarians, rupturing his achilles tendon to leave him confined to the sidelines for the entire 2009 Super 14 season.

The 30-year-old recently returned to action for his NSW club side Eastwood, enjoying his first full hit-out in the clash with Sydney University during the recently completed round.

“I felt really good,” he said upon signing his deal with Perth-based team today.

“I’d played roughly a half game in each of my first two games (for Eastwood) but it was nice to get through the full eighty (minutes) on the weekend. There were a lot of scrums and I thought our scrum went well.

I’m happy that I’m feeling improvements with every game and I’m still very much hoping to be a part of the Wallabies this year,” he added.

Dunning says he hopes joining the Emirates Western Force will be the catalyst to re-igniting his Test career.

“I’m really looking to forward to the opportunity to be involved with a new team,” said the Beecroft-Cherrybrook junior.

“For a new team, the Force has been very successful. You need only look at the Wallabies squad now and they’ve got a quite a few young guys coming through.”

“They’ve got a really strong forward pack and I know blokes like ‘Sharpie’, ‘Browny’ and Dave Pocock really well,” he said.

Dunning said the Force’s recruitment of former Hurricanes prop Tim Fairbrother was another factor in luring him to the west.

“Signing Timmy Fairbrother was a good move by the club. He’s a quality prop and I’m a big believer that you need two good tightheads in your squad,” said Dunning.

Having played most of his career in the loosehead position, Dunning reinvented himself in 2008 by making a successful switch to tighthead, and it is there that he wants to remain in the future.

“I’ve focussed solely on tighthead since about round four of the 2008 Super 14 season and have enjoyed the switch. I’ll always have the ability to play loosehead but it’s a challenge that I’m still enjoying and I want to continue at tighthead,” he said.

Dunning will remain in Sydney to finish the season with Eastwood before relocating to Perth during the 2010 Super 14 pre-season.

“I’m really looking forward to getting to Perth and working with John Mitchell and the coaching staff. Throughout the negotiations I’ve been very impressed with the way they’ve spoken about their program and I feel that they’ve really bent over backwards to get me on board.”

RugbyWA General Manager, Rugby, Mitch Hardy, said Dunning is an experienced addition to the Emirates Western Force squad.

“Matt is a very experienced tighthead prop and a player who has been an integral part of the Wallabies for a number of years,” said Hardy.

“He’s been involved in two World Cups and has spearheaded a very good Waratahs scrum for the best part of a decade.”

“Not only that, we think he has plenty to offer our program off the field as well. Everyone who has had anything to do with Matt knows that he’s a tremendous bloke and one of the great characters in our game. He will be an extremely valuable addition to our squad.”

FACT FILE

Matt Dunning

Position: Prop

Physical: 182cm, 115kg

Super Caps: 90

Super Points: 13 (2t, 1dg)

Super Debut: 2001 v Chiefs, Sydney

Test Caps: 43

Test Points: 0

Test Debut: 2003 v Namibia, Adelaide (RWC)

Representative Honours: Australian Schoolboys (1996), Australian Under 21s (1998-99), Wallabies (2003-08)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Super Points: 13 (2t, 1dg)

Welcome Matty, you're one of us now.
    Don't eat all the pies.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I feel a disturbance in the Force....

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

why is it saying I've posted this at 3.28?

Apprentice
    vCash
    Welcome Dunning.

I started a thread questioning the wisdom of signing you, I hope you prove me wrong in spades. Having experienced and ACL recon and achilles snap on the right leg I'll have praise if you get back into the wallabies.

vCash
    Dunning is a good signing... He'll do a good job come scrum time...

vCash
    yes if he stays injury free he will be good for the Force both on and off the field. You do not play 43 tests for you Country just to make the numbers up. He is good at his trade and as improved at tighthead, with Fairbrother the two should be a force to be reackon with.
    Wecome Matt to the Force

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I watched the second half of the Eastwood v Uni game on ABCHD last weekend and considering it was his first full game back Dunning was pretty good when I was watching. Had the Uni scrum under a lot of pressure and won the put-in from wheeling their scrum a few times. Ben McCalman was also playing. Didn't see much of him as he spent 10 in the bin. But seemed powerful in the tackle and pretty aggressive at the breakdown. Very much in the Elsom mould. I think someone else from the Force was playing too but I can't for the life of me remember.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    good news at least we now have players arriving instead of leaving...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    You do not play 43 tests for you Country just to make the numbers up. He is good at his trade and as improved at tighthead, with Fairbrother the two should be a force to be reackon with.
    In an era when the Trestle became the Wallabies most capped prop, you have to wonder about the veracity of that statement, but here's hoping.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Swee, HaHaHa, classic never heard trestle before. I like to refer to him as a method actor(due to his super scary scowl) - he needs a stuntman for the hard stuff!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredrucker View Post
    Swee, HaHaHa, classic never heard trestle before. I like to refer to him as a method actor(due to his super scary scowl) - he needs a stuntman for the hard stuff!
    Haha... Jargs is gonna be mad I'm getting kudos for stealing his material...

vCash
    I never thought Donut would become a term of affection!

Best of luck Matt, glad you shunned the poofy shade of Blue!

I too think he's a good addition, whether or not he remains fit (touch wood) Wiggum's value to the was not so much in the fact that he was a tough bugger in the front row, but more in what he taught the rest of our front row. I suspect that is a large part of the theory in signing Matt (and Tim for that matter) Glory days for the front row.

C'mon the

vCash
    Swee 82 there you go again (the veracity of that statement, but here's hoping.) I believe i am telling the TRUTH as i see and know it. You do not play for your Country just to make numbers up, either your the BEST or make up the best balance for the team and so therefore chosen on merit.

vCash
    Nope just adding my 2 cents + GST (got nothing to do with your opinion, I just have a dissenting one)

I've not been a fan of donut and trestles work in the past, and that's not going to change just becasue he's wearing a different shade of blue. I'm happy to be proven wrong in Dunnings case however.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the "trestle" nickname came from a TWF correspondent a little to the North..../.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast