Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Barnes holds out for Reds' review

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    No-one really expects that he will leave, but that he has waited to see the result of this review should put the QRU on serious notice. If they come up short, a) the Force would surely sign him in a heartbeat and, b) it wouldn't be our fault he left. With a new and improved pack and those two behind it, the Force would be a very dangerous unit. Gits might also start worrying about being left out in the cold, should a Barnes/O'Connor pairing start to develop...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Reds forced to wait on Barnes

The Queensland Reds are set to endure a nervous wait, with key playmaker Berrick Barnes not expected to make a decision about his Super 14 future for at least a fortnight.

While the Reds, Barnes and his management insist all is on track for the inspirational Wallaby centre to lock in a new deal at Ballymore, every day that ticks by will be cause for sweaty palms at a Queensland franchise desperate to keep him on the books.

With ex-contract negotiator Ben Whitaker offloaded, along with forwards coach Mark Bell, as part of coach Phil Mooney's restructure, Reds chief executive Ken Freer is now pinch-hitting in terms of the contractual process.

Freer met with Barnes' Brisbane-based management team yesterday, but with the player himself busy focusing on this week's Test against France, and a number of issues still to resolve, any decision looks to be at least two weeks away.

Barnes, along with veteran hooker Sean Hardman, had been holding off signing until Mooney's end-of-season review was completed. With that process effectively over, the clock is ticking for the Reds to get Barnes over the line.

"I think Berrick's always said he's a Queenslander and wants to play for Queensland. But he wants to be sure things are being addressed," Mooney said.

"A player of his standing, you are dealing with the ARU as well. It's not something you can do overnight. There's a few loose ends to tie up."

It has been assumed that the return of Barnes is little more than a fait accompli, especially after Wallaby teammate and Reds captain James Horwill inked his name on a new deal last month.

But it may not be that simple. While Horwill has taken the leap, Barnes, Digby Ioane and Hardman are still waiting on top of the cliff before taking the plunge.

Barnes is as Queensland as Wally Lewis drinking a tinnie of XXXX on top of the Big Pineapple but he is highly motivated and craves success, which has evaded him through four barren years at Ballymore.

He told brisbanetimes.com.au last month that he would have left the franchise if his contract had expired at the end of last season, such was the frustration after another year of hard knocks.

Mooney, surprisingly, wasn't shocked by that frank admission, saying it was a natural reaction of a kid who leaves everything on the paddock and has seen precious little in terms of rewards.

"Berrick's a young guy who wants success. He works extremely hard for it. I think we all want that now and it's a case of trying to align it all and make sure we do," Mooney said.

"I'm not surprised at all that he said that. It shows his determination to get it right.

"Of the four years he's been here, things were positive for the first half of the year then we had injuries and our form became inconsistent. I think we are laying a foundation but we have to get better across the board."

Losing Ioane, who would have been a Wallaby walk-up if not for injury, would be a severe blow for Queensland but farewelling Barnes would be an unmitigated disaster.

He has quickly become a vocal leader on the training paddock and the playing field and his presence, along with that of Horwill, is crucial if the Reds are to become Super 14 threats.

While the wait may be further testing the patience of Reds fans overdue for some good news, Mooney believes the outcome of this deal will be positive.

"We're a long way down the track towards retaining him. I think it's fair to say that," Mooney said.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...522872029.html

Wonder if we will just see a 1+1 contract...?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Apologies to the Clocks but Barnes is destined to chew up half of his career as a martyr if he remains at the Reds. They will of course be competitive again, if they can retain the older members of the young emerging group, but it is a big ask for a player of his ability to squander a career because he has XXXX for blood.
    Barnes could well be 28 before considering even a chance of making the Finals.

And Freer may be a lot freer if he doesn't get the signature!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Baloney - so you're saying the Reds can't be a chance of making the finals for at least another 5 years?

Geez Burgs, I thought you were one of the more intelligent contributors on here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Apologies to the Clocks but Barnes is destined to chew up half of his career as a martyr if he remains at the Reds. They will of course be competitive again, if they can retain the older members of the young emerging group, but it is a big ask for a player of his ability to squander a career because he has XXXX for blood.
    Barnes could well be 28 before considering even a chance of making the Finals.

And Freer may be a lot freer if he doesn't get the signature!!!
    thats interesting considering the Force have lost how many players this year? in comparison to the Reds who have only lost McMenimen.

Dont misinterpret that as a spiteful comment, its the realistic truth that the Force have lost a serious amount of depth, such a high turnover of players is quite damaging to the continuity of the team and understanding of the overall game plan.

Not to mention that the players signed for 2010 dont really fit in with the gameplan displayed in 2009 so i expect there will be quite the transition period there as well. 2009 was based on the expansive halves combo of Valentin-Giteau, which will be replaced with the not so exspansive Sheehan-Pretorious.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    As a Catch 22 type scenario, no.
    Remember there is going to be another dilution of talent in 2011.
    The only reasons for Barnes to remain in the current Squad is loyalty and a desire for leadership.
    I think the Force and the Reds represent either side of a critical tipping point between staying or going for an individual which the further to either side you go the more or less reliant on loyalty and greed you need to be.
    It was a very close thing and if JO'C had gone then I would say we would have been on the bad side, we are just hanging in there.
    The Reds revival is not going to happen until the coming of age of their Under 22 players, which puts a great load on the shoulders of the still relatively young Horwill, Barnes and Ioane.
    Horwill's signing was a massive coup, but the fact that someone so junior represents the senior players is in itself a concern.
    I'm one of very few here to count the Reds as my second team tic, but I think sadly for them, and Australian Rugby, it is still some way to go.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    As a Catch 22 type scenario, no.
    Remember there is going to be another dilution of talent in 2011.
    The only reasons for Barnes to remain in the current Squad is loyalty and a desire for leadership.I think the Force and the Reds represent either side of a critical tipping point between staying or going for an individual which the further to either side you go the more or less reliant on loyalty and greed you need to be.
    It was a very close thing and if JO'C had gone then I would say we would have been on the bad side, we are just hanging in there.
    The Reds revival is not going to happen until the coming of age of their Under 22 players, which puts a great load on the shoulders of the still relatively young Horwill, Barnes and Ioane.
    Horwill's signing was a massive coup, but the fact that someone so junior represents the senior players is in itself a concern.
    I'm one of very few here to count the Reds as my second team tic, but I think sadly for them, and Australian Rugby, it is still some way to go.

I would hope that the reason Barnes stays is loyalty and desire for leadership, it definetly beats having a group of self indulgent glory chasers in your side.

Horwill, Barnes and Ioane are still relatively young, but in terms of experience they have quite a lot, QLD has the most experienced young side running around.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, we're actually discussing the Reds TOCC, two wrongs don't make a right, but my answer was to tics reply.

If it is the comparison path you want to go down then the critical thing in favour of the Force is that it is still enjoying the tag of a new experience, a new frontier and it is proving itself by turning and returning Super 14 players into Wallabies.
    By no means is it all roses but we do have players remaining and coming into the squad that represent a huge wealth of experience and general leadership.
    Take away an undecided Hardman and the senior players suddenly aren't very senior.

I'm not being vindictive either, in a perfect world for me it would be the Force beating the Reds in the Final every year, hopefully we are both young enough to see something close to that...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Well, we're actually discussing the Reds TOCC, two wrongs don't make a right, but my answer was to tics reply.

If it is the comparison path you want to go down then the critical thing in favour of the Force is that it is still enjoying the tag of a new experience, a new frontier and it is proving itself by turning and returning Super 14 players into Wallabies.
    By no means is it all roses but we do have players remaining and coming into the squad that represent a huge wealth of experience and general leadership.
    Take away an undecided Hardman and the senior players suddenly aren't very senior.

I'm not being vindictive either, in a perfect world for me it would be the Force beating the Reds in the Final every year, hopefully we are both young enough to see something close to that...
    im actually quite aware that the discussion was about the reds, by me bringing up the force it was a attempt to try and draw comparisons and put it in a different perspective for you, but hey just forget i said anything then.

I mean, its not like anyone posted a possible Force backline on the first page of this thread

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ahh, nice to have you back cranky pants

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    what do you expect when you make comments like Barnes being a martyr

anyway off to the pub for state of origin

Immortal Contributor