Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Braid sticks with Reds

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Except if there are three in front of you there's good odds you are on the bench behind one of them, unfortunately the talent isn't spread four ways evenly.
    With five there's a far greater chance that the third and fourth best can start and stake their own claim with their own style.
    Swings and roundabouts...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    well if we are talking in reference to the 5th side, then i think the ARU will have to drop the current centrally contracted style of doing things and instead make it a salary cap, wallaby players will still earn there match bonusses but the ARU wont be the ones brokering the deal.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Afterthought in a SMH article:

Meanwhile, any hope for Waratahs openside breakaway Beau Robinson joining Queensland appears doomed with confirmation that Kiwi flanker Daniel Braid will remain at the Reds for another season.

Robinson, bizarrely let go by NSW, had hoped an opportunity at the Reds would still arise. But with that door apparently closed, the Warringah forward might have to look overseas.

Braid is the second high-profile re-signing for the Reds in the past month, with their captain, Wallabies second-rower James Horwill having put pen to paper to stay until the end of 2011. The New Zealander played this season for the Reds after joining them as a marquee import, but was felled during the Super 14 by a ruptured Achilles tendon. He had intended to continue playing in Europe, but his injury cruelled that option.

"The last two months has been quite stressful with the injury and having all my plans go up in smoke, really," the former All Black said. "I know that I don't have to play until the Super 14 now, so it is a good window to get some rehab in and get my Achilles right."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    yeah i noticed that article earlier today, so he was contracted for next year but went for a release

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder what interest Robinson will get overseas? If it isn't much, I at least hope one of the teams (maybe with a little assistance from the ARU) give him enough to allow him to stay in training against the fifth team forming up the following year. It would be stupid to see him and Salvi etc leaving, when everyone is bitching that there is no depth to cover another team...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2