Sitiveni Sivivatu re-signs with NZRU

NZRU Media Release
17/06/09

All Blacks speedster Sitiveni Sivivatu has re-signed with the New Zealand Rugby Union, adding to the growing list of key All Blacks who have extended their NZRU contracts.

The Chiefs and Waikato winger, who is currently out of rugby recovering from an injured shoulder, has signed with the NZRU through until 2011.

27-year-old Sivivatu has played 34 Tests for the All Blacks and scored 24 Tries. He made a sensational Test debut against Fiji in 2005 scoring four tries. He also scored a hat-trick against Wales on the end of year tour in 2006 and has scored a double on five occasions.

Sivivatu said: “I discussed my future with my family and we decided that our future is here in New Zealand. I love playing in the black jersey – as well as for the Chiefs and Waikato – and that’s why I have re-signed.”

NZRU CEO Steve Tew said: “Rugby fans both here in New Zealand and overseas know just how much of a remarkable player Sitiveni is and we are delighted to have him re-sign with New Zealand rugby.”

Sivivatu joins 2008-2009 All Blacks Richie McCaw, Rodney So’oialo, Keven Mealamu, Mils Muliaina, Ali Williams, Tony Woodcock, Dan Carter, Ma’a Nonu, Brad Thorn, Andrew Hore, Neemia Tialata, John Afoa, Andy Ellis, Richard Kahui, Brendon Leonard, Jamie Mackintosh, Rudi Wulf and Liam Messam, who are all signed with New Zealand rugby through to 2011 or beyond.

“We are very pleased with the number of players that we have contracted through for the next few years. We have always said that, while we can’t compete with the dollars which are available to some players overseas, we have a great rugby environment here in New Zealand which gives our players the chance to express themselves,” Mr Tew added.