Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Australian Schools Championship

vCash
    Can somebody order a new calculator for Burgs please?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    the Queensland kicker may have gone through thinking, "hmm, if I miss this those poofter bluebaggers won't make the Final!"
    No way. It would have been an order from the coaches.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Gotta make a profit somehow
    Trust a Ref to be the nitpicker

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The 10 Kyle Godwin is ours. Which is great because he's got big wraps in the last two games. Fingers crossed he can make the nationals schoolboys side.
    From what I have read on the Sportal website, opinions were pretty well locked down with the make up of the Aus Schools side being mainly QLD and NSW. Its a shame that a majority of the selectors come from the east coast and will have had plenty of time to formulate their team selections already... lets hope they see the light and pick plenty from the CS side.. Well one can hope...

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Queensland claim fourth straight Australian Schools Championship

Story by: ARU

Queensland I have won the Australian Schools Championship in Sydney today. Queensland have continued their dominance of Australian Schools' Rugby winning the Australian Schools Rugby Union Championship for the fourth year in a row, with Queensland 1 defeating surprise finalists Combined States 43 – 17 at Knox College in Sydney today.

The triumph makes it three straight titles for Queensland I, with Queensland II claiming the title in 2006.

For the young maroons Brisbane State High School lock Curtis Browning was outstanding, picking up a hat trick of tries to go with the other five-pointer he notched up on Day 3 against NSW II.

St Josephs Nudgee College winger Kimani Situata also crossed for a double for Queensland, taking his tally to an impressive seven for the tournament, and claiming the tournament top tryscorer award.

The flying Situata was just ahead of team mate, Southport School fullback Simon Morahan, who also scored a double to take his try tally for the tournament to five.

Brisbane State High School flyhalf Rohan Saifoloi landed 2 conversions to take his points tally for the tournament to 37 points. Cayden Matheaere, also from St Josephs Nudgee, landed two conversions.

The gutsy Combined States, who are drawn from the secondary Rugby Union states and territories of Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria, Tasmania and the Northern Territory, were simply outgunned by Queensland I who were too powerful right across the park.

For Combined States Carey Baptist Grammar star Sam Yakopo scored a try, his second for the tournament, along with Chandler College inside centre Rod Esekia.

Aquinas College flyhalf Kyle Godwin completed an excellent tournament, converting both tries and slotting a penalty goal to bring his points tally to 23.

In other matches New South Wales I made up for a disappointing tournament defeating New South Wales II 41 – 17 in the third place playoff while Queensland II scored a try minutes before full time to pip the luckless ACT 22-21, with St Edmunds College scrumhalf Alex Rowley crossing for two tries for the young Brumbies.

Australian Schools Championship

Final Day – Results
    Played at Knox College in Sydney

Championship Final
    Queensland I 43 (Curtis Browning 3, Simon Morahan 2, Kimami Situata 2, tries, Rohan Saifoloi 2, Cayden Metheaere 2 con) Defeated Combined States 17 (Rod Esekia, Sam Yakopo tries, Kyle Godwin 2 con 1 PG)

Redraw 1

Queensland II 22 (Liam Law, Mitchell Felsman, Joe Lalagavesi, Waita Setu tries, Mitchell Felsman 1 con) Defeated ACT 21 (Alex Rowley 2, Finlay Bealham tries, James Field 2 PG)

Redraw 2

New South Wales I 41 (Richard Quigley, Adrian Hs’angana, Nick Stirzacker, Stuart Goodman, Tom Kingston, Sam Brisby tries, Damien Cook, Trent Lake, Marcus Heather 1 con) Defeated New South Wales II 17 (Tyson Frizell, Charles Wakim, Tyler Ostle tries, Liam Walker 1 con).

Final Placings

Champions: Queensland I
    Runner Up: Combined States
    3rd: New South Wales I
    4th: New South Wales 2
    5th: Queensland II
    6th: ACT

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well done on a great tournament fellas

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Well done. Considering this side was WA heavy maybe they should be promoted to the first div next year. This proves they will clearly be competitive. Sounds like alot of great talent this year. all we need to do now is hold onto them and keep the Mungos grubby hands off them.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    all we need to do now is hold onto them and keep the Mungos grubby hands off them.
    Funnily enough, probably easier here than in any of the Heartland states.

Apprentice
    vCash
    From the Sportal forum (The AUS1 and AUS2 selections)
    http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/d....asp?id=151840

ACT

13. J. Holland (AUS1)

CS

5. A. Hamilton (AUS2)
    7. J. De Guingand (AUS2)
    8. N. Paila (AUS2)
    10. K. Godwin (AUS1)
    12. R. Esekia (AUS2)

NSWI

1. R. Quigley (AUS2)
    2. H. Roach (AUS1)
    3. J. Welsh (AUS2)
    5. G. Peterson (AUS1)
    6. U. O'Sullivan (AUS2)
    8. L. Jones (AUS1)
    9. N. Stirzaker (AUS1)
    11. D. Cook (AUS2)
    13. T. Kingston (AUS2)
    15. J. Woodhouse (AUS1)
    18. M. Heather (AUS1)

NSWII

1. N. Curtis (AUS2)
    3. T. Lamont (AUS2)
    5. S. Cu.mmins (AUS2)
    7. Z. Fell (AUS2)
    9. J. Rowntree (AUS2)
    12. T. Frizell (AUS1)
    16. S. Sio (AUS1)

QLDI

1. J. Kimmince (AUS1)
    2. R. Marais (AUS2)
    3. P. Alo Emile (AUS1)
    5. C. Browning (AUS2)
    6. J. Taupou (AUS1)
    7. L. Gill (AUS1)
    8. M. Ika (AUS1)
    9. R. Hanlon (AUS1)
    10. R. Saifoloi (AUS1)
    11. K. Situata (AUS1)
    12. K. Auva'a (AUS2)
    14. C. Sautia (AUS1)
    15. S. Moranhan (AUS1)
    17. N. Turner (AUS2)
    22. C. Matehaere (AUS2)

QLDII

8. W. Setu (AUS1)
    9. M. Lucas (AUS2)
    13. M. Garland (AUS2)
    14. L. Law (AUS2)
    15. M. Felsman (AUS2)
    17. J. O'Regan (AUS1)

Looks like 3 CS players for AUS1 (1 WA) and 3 CS players for AUS2. Seems like the selectors are east coast focused again.

Well done to those lads selected.. and to the whole CS side that has played so well. Big message sent to the selectors but I think they are thick skinned and do not get to see enough of the combined states players to make fully informed descisions.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

To put it another way:

Australian schoolboys:
    1 Paul Alo-Emile Brisbane State High School QLD
    2 Tyson Frizell Illawarra SHS NSW
    3 Liam Gill St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace QLD
    4 Kyle Godwin Aquinas College, WA WA
    5 Angus Hamilton Scotch College, VIC VIC
    6 Ruka Hanlon The Southport School QLD
    7 Marcus Heather Endeavour SHS NSW
    8 Jake Holland St. Edmunds College ACT
    9 Matt Ika Brisbane State High School QLD
    10 Luke Jones St Pius X College NSW
    11 Jack Kimmince The Southport School QLD
    12 Simon Morahan The Southport School QLD
    13 Joe O’Regan Brisbane State High School QLD
    14 Greg Peterson The Scots College NSW
    15 Hugh Roach Newington College NSW
    16 Rohan Saifoloi Brisbane State High School QLD
    17 Chris Sautia Brisbane State High School QLD
    18 Waita Setu St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
    19 Scott Sio Trinity Grammar School NSW
    20 Kimamai Situata St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
    21 Nick Stirzaker Knox Grammar School NSW
    22 Jordan Tuapou Brisbane State High School QLD
    23 Jacob Woodhouse The Scots College NSW

Australia A:
    1 Krisome Au’uva Ipswich Grammar School QLD
    2 Curtis Browning Brisbane State High School QLD
    3 Damien Cooke Illawarra SHS NSW
    3 Steve *****mins Hills SHS NSW
    4 Nick Curtis Knox Grammar School NSW
    5 Jack De Guingand St Kevin’s College, VIC VIC
    6 Rodney Esekia Chandler College, VIC VIC
    7 Zach Fell St Edward's Gosford NSW
    8 Mitchell Felsman Iona College QLD
    9 Matt Garland Brisbane State High School QLD
    10 Tom Kingston St Aloysius' College NSW
    11 Tom Lamont St Joseph's College NSW
    12 Liam Law Ipswich Grammar School QLD
    13 Matt Lucas St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace QLD
    14 Ross Marais The Southport School QLD
    15 Cayden Matehaere St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
    17 Usaia O'Sullivan Trinity Grammar School NSW
    18 Nathan Paila Hallam Senior College, VIC VIC
    19 Ted Postal St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
    20 Richard Quigley The Scots College NSW
    21 Jack Rowntree St Augustine's College NSW
    22 Nick Turner Emmanuel College QLD
    23 Joe Welch St Ignatius' College NSW

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nice work Kyle

1 from 44, same as Joey's but in DivI, not DivII!
    I wonder how many of the Rugby Department will be sacked at Joeys

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    I would have expected more CS player seeing as they made the final. And should have been more WA as the had 11 player in the CS team. Hmmm.. You're it is East orientated. It's a very political process. It doesn't matter how well you play. Believe me. According to my Rugby Coach at School who was a former NSW Schoolboy coach myself and two other's were robbed on in his mind certain walk up position in the NSW Schools side. But we were overlooked for three less experienced player's who so happened to go to the school of the coach of the Rep coach.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'm sure politics play a part, but I would have thought logistics would have been a bigger consideration. How much better would a WA lad need to than his East Coast rival to justify all the flights, and how does it impact on the ability to train with the squad?

It sucks, but I'm not sure what can be done. It is no different than the Force players - even the WA produced ones like DHP and Keiran - having to play in Sydney. It is going to be a major hurdle for Rugby here, and I'm yet to hear of any solution.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I'm sure politics play a part, but I would have thought logistics would have been a bigger consideration. How much better would a WA lad need to than his East Coast rival to justify all the flights, and how does it impact on the ability to train with the squad?

It sucks, but I'm not sure what can be done. It is no different than the Force players - even the WA produced ones like DHP and Keiran - having to play in Sydney. It is going to be a major hurdle for Rugby here, and I'm yet to hear of any solution.
    I too think politics play a large part having participated and read this years Sportal and Green and Gold forums. The easties seem to have the AUS1 and AUS2 teams already selected prior to the DIV1 tournament and they have the attitude that they have never heard of any other players from around the country so why should they be included.

I have a number of ideas on how to get the CS boys to be considered.

1. Get those selectors from the east coast over the the CS Rugby centres and out of their ivory towers. perhaps during the CS states Grand Finals weeks?
    2. Start promoting the CS players on to the forums on the east coast.
    3. Create an early season CS side to go compete in GPS type comps against the Kings and Brisbane State Schools so that visibility is in the easties faces.
    4. Improve the talent identification in each of the state bodies and instead of having local academys, send those targeting individuals over to the east to "guest" with some of the better teams.

If the politics are there as a road block, we need to combine resources (no pun intended) and start self promotion into the right selectors faces. It is obvious our state schools reps do not have enough clout to effect either change or promote those undoubted talented individuals. I know that a previous SA State Selector did not even have a Rugby team at his school - how pitiful is that!

I too believe that there is something wrong when WA fielded a high number of players in to CS only to be rewarded with 1 rep. Vic on the other hand did slightly better, but again, maybe this was because those players were already known on the east coast? Dont know on that though.

The playing field is definately not flat in regard to the selection of the best kids when the cards are stacked before we open the pack!

Any other ideas from anyone, please throw them out there....

Last edited by Pierre; 14-07-09 at 15:57.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

I too believe that there is something wrong when WA fielded a high number of players in to CS only to be rewarded with 1 rep. Vic on the other hand did slightly better, but again, maybe this was because those players were already known on the east coast? Dont know on that though.

Andy's point about logistics could again be the explanation in the case of Vic players, besides their being possibly better known. They can be on a plane to attend training camps etc with minimum fuss, cost and travel time. No different to the NSW & Qld boys depending on where the base is. It's a difficult one but one that the CS state bodies should work together on for sure.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    A ridiculously high percentage of NSW players, considering the appalling result for that state. Old school tie politics (NSW style) is well and truly alive at the selection table.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast