Thread: Problem Solved!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Problem Solved!

I solved all of the Tahs problems...well, the one regarding filling Lote's position anyway, not all the other ones!

With Henson they can replace one prima dona, over paid, human headline with a weird haircut, who fancies himself as a Centre, with another one!

Henson 'on brink of quitting rugby'

Graham Clutton | July 14, 2009 - 1:51PM

GAVIN HENSON'S colourful and too often controversial career is hanging in the balance this morning after crisis talks with the Ospreys.

The 27 year-old Wales and British and Irish Lions centre is understood to have told the Welsh region's managing director, Mike Cuddy, that he wanted to retire from rugby. It follows a summer during which he has again spent much of his time battling against serious injury.

Despite his summer of discontent, Henson was expected to take part in the first day of pre-season training with the Ospreys at their training camp in Swansea.

However, Ospreys' players last night confirmed that the 31-times capped international had not shown up amid strong rumours that he was poised to end a career that has, in the eyes of many, failed to live up to expectation.

Furthermore, his absence backed up weekend reports that he had told friends of his decision after falling out of love with the game.

Henson was said to be intent on meeting Cuddy, director of rugby Scott Johnson and elite performance director Andrew Hore to discuss ending his three-year contract, about 24 months early.

His no-show forced that meeting and though the region was last night staying tight-lipped, it is understood that Henson has been given a further two weeks off in which to reconsider his position.

The latest episode in a career that has included Grand Slam victories with Wales in 2005 and last year, will not have shocked too many at the Liberty Stadium. After all, it is less than three months since Henson, while recovering from an ankle injury, revealed that he had regular thoughts about hanging up his boots.

Furthermore, his partner, singer Charlotte Church, had recently given birth to their second child and given rise to Henson's belief that he should spend more time at home with his young family.

Some also believe Henson wants to switch codes and link up with the Crusaders at Bridgend. Those thoughts would have been accelerated by the outstanding performance of Cardiff Blues centre Jamie Roberts on the Lions tour to South Africa.

Such was the impression made by Roberts against the Springboks, that there is little doubt Henson would have slipped further down the pecking order ahead of the autumn Tests against Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and Samoa.

Mike Turner, chief executive of the Crusaders, said: "There are no talks to bring him to the Crusaders as a player but I know he is a big fan of the club and attends most matches. However, if he does want to enter into talks into playing rugby league for us, we'll listen with great interest."

Henson made his Wales debut against Japan in 2001, but since 2005 has experienced a catalogue of setbacks. Groin and hernia problems spoilt his Lions tour in 2005 and after serving a seven-week ban for elbowing Leicester's Alex Moreno in a Heineken Cup game in early 2006, he suffered knee and Achilles tendon injuries before breaking a hand in a boisterous episode on a train journey from London.

It remains to be seen whether early retirement will serve as the final chapter in one of Welsh rugby's most intriguing stories.

London Telegraph

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 14-07-09 at 16:38.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe Clutton needs to up his dosage of Ritalin...

Gavin Henson: I'm not quitting rugby
    By Graham Clutton
    Published: 10:09PM BST 13 Jul 2009

Having supposedly recovered from the ankle injury suffered in last season's EDF Energy Cup semi-final defeat against Gloucester, the 27-year-old Ospreys and Wales centre was expected to take part in the Welsh region's opening day of pre season training on Monday.

That was thrown into doubt on Sunday when reports suggested that the former Swansea three quarter would swap a day on the training field for showdown talks over his future with managing director Mike Cuddy.

It was understood that the ankle problem – his sixth serious injury in four years – had led to months of disillusionment and the desire to quit rugby 24 months before his current three-year contract expires at the Liberty Stadium.

He failed to take part in either session on Monday, but later revealed that he was simply undergoing treatment for an ongoing groin problem and had no intention of quitting the game. His meeting with Cuddy, elite performance director Andrew Hore and director of rugby Scott Johnson had simply been called to discuss newspaper speculation rather than retirement plans.

The Ospreys have said he will receive further treatment and the intention is that Henson will be fit and ready for the start of the new season.

Henson said: "I've been having difficulties with the recurring injury, but I have absolutely no intention of quitting the game. I'm receiving the best medical care to help me address the injury problem, and I'm sure I'll be able to put it behind me in the very near future."

Cuddy said: "It's been very difficult for Gavin having to deal with various rumours about his retirement at a time when he is trying to recover from injury. Gavin has played a significant part in the success of the Ospreys and we're looking forward to seeing him perform on the pitch again next season.

"He is a genuine talent and an asset to the Ospreys and the Welsh team, and while I know he was extremely disappointed to miss out on the recent Lions tour, he is looking forward to re-entering the top tier of the game again."

The initial concerns over Henson's future came in April when the player confirmed that his latest injury had led him to consider whether rugby was proving more trouble than it was worth.

His Lions tour in 2005 had been spoilt by groin and hernia problems and he has not toured since. Between 2005 and 2008 he was banned for seven weeks for striking Leicester's Alex Moreno in a Heineken Cup game and suffered a broken hand during a play fight on a train journey from London.

Despite his latest statement, you have to wonder whether Henson has the deep-seated desire and commitment to once again re-launch his career. Back in April he said: "I am down and depressed, maybe I am cursed.

"It has been another difficult year. I get my enjoyment through playing, but I am only managing eight starts a season. It is hard to come back all the time and it is pretty tough off the field.

"Thoughts about my future run through my head. I would miss rugby, but is it worth it? I will have to really look at things in the summer."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    With Henson they can replace one prima dona, over paid, ex mungo with a weird haircut, who fancies himself as a Centre, with another one!
    Most unlike you Burgs. Your research is usually impeccable. Pure Welsh Rugby stock.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry, was distracted by work and got muddled up with the bit about "wanting" to go to mungo

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.