Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIGITAL CAMERAS

vCash

DIGITAL CAMERAS

I have been looking for a new camera and my first thought was to buy a entry level SLR camera but after a lot of reading on the topic I started moving towards a more top of the range digital compact

Here is my shortlist do anyone have any comments on these cameras (good or bad)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...x_x70&show=all

- - - - -
    Canon SX10 IS, Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD, Nikon Coolpix P90, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Pentax X70

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I have a Cannon Powershot SX110 IS

Love it

10 x Optical Zoom, 40 x Digital Zoom, 10 Megapixel

it all would depend on how much you want to spend I guess

vCash
    I was in the same situation about 3 months ago when I was looking for a new camera for my wife....looked at them all read the reviews and went to about 8 shops and at the end of the day I went for the Canon, but I took the EOS450D with twin lense kit - 12.2 megapixel
    In choosing a camera you have to go to a shop and handle the camera...it is important that it feels comfortable in your hands.

Wife is still trigger happy(200+ photos a week) after 3 months
    I would recommend the Canon for sure

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    My parents have a Canon (not digital) and its lasted for over 25 years and is still going. They also have a fuji finepix which is pretty good but quite slow still.

I have a panasonic which isn't SLR but is pretty quick, I managed to capture a lightning strike with it and its lasting me very well. Like tdevil's wife I like taking a picture or 600+ and its a really good camera. I say go the Panasonic or Canon if you want your money's worth.

If you go to Camerahouse in Cannington they're really good, happy to explain anything and everything and let you try it out. I tested out the zoom to see if it could work the distance from one side of a rugby field to the other before I bought mine.

vCash
    I have the older Fuji S1000. It's a good camera I bought it because of the optical zoom (digital zoom is worthless) and because of using AA batteries. I use the rechargable ones and if ever there is an emergency you can buy AA's anywhere. I really don't like proprietary batteries.

If I had it to do all over I wouldn't buy any of those cameras. I'd step up to a SLR and the many features they offer or down to a smaller pocket. The small ones take just as good of pictures and are much easier to carry around.

Senior Player Contributor WaterBoy's Avatar
    vCash
    Go the SLR i just got a canon 500D to replace my older compact digital for our olidays, and I am very happy. It has 15 megapixel, but a small sensor so the 18-55mm lens that came with it, in reality or compared to a 35mm film is a ~27mm-70mm lens(don't quote me on this but it definately is not a 18mm wide angle). I would, probably get a larger sensor had i thought about it for much longer, and had a bit more to spend, but the shots with this camera are great.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Have you tried http://www.cnet.com.au/digitalcameras/ they give some pretty good advice on cameras.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    are those ones you've selected even compact?? I was thinking you want the small ones .. easy to put into your pocket and not look like a tourist

my favorite is this one http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_sd990is.asp

vCash
    Ive had a Canon EOS 1000D for about 2 months now and it was the best decision ive made to go SLR.

I LOVE being able to capture close-up portrait shots from 40-50m away when the victim doesnt even know it....
    oh and i bought a panel van the other day just need to paint "free candy" on the sides now! .

no seriously, SLR is the way to go even if you want to progress from happy snaps to capturing time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    oh and i bought a panel van the other day just need to paint "free candy" on the sides now! .
    I thought MJ's dead..........

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Zim's taking up the challenge...

vCash
    Purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 a couple of weeks ago specifically for our current trip to Coral Bay/Monkey Mia/Kalbarri.

While it doesn't have the superior optical/digital zoom of an SLR (though 4.6 optical zoom is still pretty good for a compact camera), it can be used underwater to 3m (good for snorkelling) and is shockproof to 1.5m.

It is a 12.1mp and quality of pictures are pretty good.

What I have found to be its most attractive feature is its HD motion picture recording. I've used this both underwater and above ground and the quality is as good as any standard camcorder.

Well worth my 2 bob so far and if you're heading out on a family holiday, its well worth the purchase.

vCash
    decisions decisions

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    My Brownie Box still serves me adequately ....

vCash
    we have a communal canon G9 here at home. it's pretty hardy, i took it to hotham and fell on it a few times, takes great pictures. and the battery lasts forever

and if you wanted you can buy lenses to attach to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast