Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: We are going to get a new rectangular stadium - allegedly.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I agree Sheikh. The only proviso would be to consider how big the crowd of the Western Force and Glory would be by 2022......40,000 might not be out of the ballpark if the franchises were managed properly!
    If I am remembering correctly, didn't the argument go that it would be better to have a small sold-out ground and turn the rest away because that would encourage membership?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That's one of the points Andy....the actual argument was that the view was better in a rectangular stadium and this would create demand for tickets.

The thing about a small sold out ground (in my opinion) is that I'd rather watch at a smaller sold out ground with a good view than be guaranteed a good seat where I can't see the game!

Can't speak for others though.

C'mon the

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Just heard the news...very happy with 27k...the atmosphere we generated with 18k there was awesome...50% more force supporters and it will be out of control!

Good work WA Gov...thanks also for Wolves coming over and clinching the deal...ice bins - classic

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    GIGS - yep, if the Force crowds out-grew a 27,000 stadium, then expand to 40,000. If that could be done prior to 2022, all the better.

But if Australia wins (sorry, hosts) the 2022 World Cup and the federal government is paying for a new stadium, do we care?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    GIGS - yep, if the Force crowds out-grew a 27,000 stadium, then expand to 40,000. If that could be done prior to 2022, all the better.

But if Australia wins (sorry, hosts) the 2022 World Cup and the federal government is paying for a new stadium, do we care?
    And therein will be the rub. As the PerthNow article says:
    "The first step in the project...will be to demolish the scaffold stand on the eastern side of the ground...The second stage will be to replace the current grandstand with the goal ends linked under one roof in the final stage....The government has based its plan on Skilled Park on the Gold Coast that opened in March last year and holds 27,400 spectators, has 100 open corporate boxes, 25 closed corporate suites and two 450 seat function rooms."

No mention of future expansion, but here is a picture of their template.

Don't see much scope for cramming in another 12,000 seats. It is what everyone has been agitating for, and there is not likely to be anything more. If a Soccer WC eventuates and there is any federal funding to be had, it will be directed to the subsequent major stadium/Subi redevelopment.

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That's one of the points Andy....the actual argument was that the view was better in a rectangular stadium and this would create demand for tickets.
    And demand for tickets + strictly limited number of available seats = ???

Still, when demand grows there will always be the bigger stadium available. Hopefully the WAFC won't be managing it, but as the only permanent tenant...

But then we've all had this discussion before, many times.

vCash
    12,000 seats vertically ?

Wouldn't the stadium look better if it had "Woodside" or "Emirates" on the roof

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting point. I wonder what the roof is made of - if it were fabric and replaceable, that would be four large signage areas that could be sold off to sponsors.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    12,000 seats vertically ?

Wouldn't the stadium look better if it had "Woodside" or "Emirates" on the roof
    and ET Mining!

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    TWF

vCash
    I thought the 40,000 seater for Soccer World Cup was on a greenfield?

It's a pretty moot argument though, we won't have 40,000 seats for a bloody long time, and WNC was never going to curl up in a corner and go to sleep with 25,000 seats at MES.

I actually agree with Burgs (and others) that 35,000 is what Rugby in WA NEEDS, My point was that in the climate where we were arguing, compromises needed to be made and 25,000 is better than staying at Subiaco. So I don't think my position has changed, but it might not appear that way.

In the long run, any dedicated rectangular stadium is pretty much what the WA public supported overwhelmingly by signing the petition and any steps towards a dedicated rectangular stadium which adequately services RugbyWA is a good move.

C'mon the

vCash
    I cannot but agree with Gigs on this. 25000 seats is a great start and sustainable with 35000 what we really need for rugby in the future.
    In the current climate and with govt dithering we will need to be circumspect and take what we can for the moment with room to move in the future.
    If we can maintain a full house every game then we have a case for further funding. If we cannot then the govt will probably put us on the backburner in the allocation of funding rounds.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    for the next ten years (at the very least) for rugby in WA - 27K is perfect

coz Stone Cold says so

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I think with 27k seats and an expanded Super 15 games proposal we will be a pretty healthy franchise. Building a solid financial foundation for the future is more important to me than having a large stadium. Let's worry about that later.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    While I'm sure my views don't need restating, I certainly recognise how we got here and the completely reasonable expectations that everyone has for a nice slow orderly growth. However, as has been noted on this site (http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?p=223665), League is planning to return in 2013. That is 26 rounds for 13 home games. And the Soccer won't be sitting still; that is similarly 27 rounds for 13/14 home games. In the meantime Union will be sitting in a full stadium (almost from day one), telling all newcomers in the fastest growing city in Australia that their interest is appreciated, but the intention is to build a nice solid financial base on the strength of their 8 home games. Still, I'm sure the other codes will appreciate the overflow of support being diverted their way.

I'm curious though - after only ten years, does anyone think the government be up for a complete rebuild or replacement rectangular stadium?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    I think with 27k seats and an expanded Super 15 games proposal we will be a pretty healthy franchise. Building a solid financial foundation for the future is more important to me than having a large stadium. Let's worry about that later.
    Could not have put it better myself.

From little things big things grow
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast