Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Berrick Barnes poised to join NSW Waratahs

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    What is going on up there? Is this this the same QLD were talking about.

I still can't work out why Barnes, Brown, O'connor and all the other Qld boys would want to play for any other state.

No state pride anymore. If Horwill leaves then there is something definately wrong up there.

Surely Eales and the likes of Latham and Horan are involved in the club.

TOCC I feel for ya mate.

vCash
    Horwill recently re-signed - he showed loyalty. He will reap the rewards for that. Barnes on the other hand will forever be associated with an era of failure. His loss.

vCash
    no id say its Queenslands loss... Barnes was the beating heart of the Reds (even if it was on a pacemaker)
    next will be Digby....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    no id say its Queenslands loss... Barnes was the beating heart of the Reds (even if it was on a pacemaker)
    next will be Digby....
    Well Barnes clearly wasn't the beating heart of if he's gone and buggered off. While experienced talent is a bit thin on the ground in Australia the Reds will have a tough time. Who knows if the new 5th team will prolong this. The Reds will cope without him just as the Force will cope without Giteau. Methinks though the ARU should allow 2 marquee players per team rather than the current one. Its hardly going to hurt depth and the Force and Reds could certainly use another marquee.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    yeah fair enough Barnes decided to move south, but there are several points which annoy me about how he did it..

Firstly he took so dam long to decide, QLD missed the opportunity to replace him and lost juniors like Stefano Hunt to the Force, secondly he was involved in the restructuring of the club, the QRU practically rebuilt the coaching structure to his demand, and now he buggers off.

Thirdly, considering Herbert only made a press release days ago saying Barnes had given every indication he was staying he seems to have really left them with no other option.

At least Giteau left midway, giving the Force every opportunity to look for a replacement, the Reds now dont have the chance.

Thanks Berrick!

Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Don't think we can fault the ARU on this.

Berrick is obviously an ambitious player and he has the skills to match and from what I'm reading he's moving to the Tahs in large part because he believes he'll achieve success more often with them than he did with the Reds and possibly even, God forbid, be part of a championship team.

Now, if he presents this argument to the ARU and as condition to signing with the ARU (or otherwise being lost altogether to Australian Rugby), he dictates that he can join any of the Australian S14 franchises of his choosing then I would say the ARU are not in a position to dictate to him who he can play with.

Tough for the Reds but Barnes is probably tired of being a saviour and fair enough too.
    Im not blaming the ARU for Berrick leaving, read what i said, what i am saying is that the ARU should give room for the franchises to honour and acknowledge there key players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    next will be Digby....
    Well clearly he was not the beating heart - this conduct proves it. Ironically, Qld spirit may improve as a result of the departure of his self-interest.

See the irony is that Barnes whinged about Qld not doing enough to hold talent. Here, they moved heaven and earth to keep him and yet he still buggered off. Smell the irony?

Maybe Berrick has been a cause of the problem all along and his departure not just a symptom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post

“But one thing about it, no-one is bigger than the team.

are you sure? seems you did everything to prove to barnes that he was, and he up and left you with nothing. mabye if you had that attitude before you could have used the money that would have been freed up when he left months ago to get someone before another club signed him...

i still really believe that if a player needs to think about whether they want to stay or go from a franchise. then they have already made the decision and they should piss off. you would have had at least a season there in the team culture. with everyone else associated with the team around you. you should know if you think you fit and and if you want to continue being there. if you have to think about it. you're not wholly comitted. and are better off finding somewhere else to work. because at the end of the day it is work. if you dont like your job. you find a new one

vCash
    If the article in the West goes against its normal trend to be a complete crock, which it seems to have done as there are quotes in the article , then I'd be inclinced to feel sorry for Berrick and understand why he made the move.

Of all the player movements this year, this is the only one to genuinely come as a suprise. Hopefully QRU isn't completely up the creek now!! Bet a few of the Tahs boys would be wishing they hadn't just re-signed. Halangahu would be a certain starter for the Reds if he had the chance to go there now.

vCash
    mabye he will apply for a release?

that'd be a newsflash

vCash
    i dont want halangahu at the Reds, i would rather get wooden spoon then see anymore nsw's players in the team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    If the article in the West goes against its normal trend to be a complete crock, which it seems to have done as there are quotes in the article , then I'd be inclinced to feel sorry for Berrick and understand why he made the move.

Of all the player movements this year, this is the only one to genuinely come as a suprise. Hopefully QRU isn't completely up the creek now!! Bet a few of the Tahs boys would be wishing they hadn't just re-signed. Halangahu would be a certain starter for the Reds if he had the chance to go there now.

I disagree. Qld rugby is not a basket case, no matter how much some media want to beat it up. Just look at the complete domination of schoolboy rugby by Qld. Frankly, Qld produces the bulk of the new and emerging talent coming on line in this country and the Reds are actualy full of that talent - it hasn't yet properly matured, but when it does, Qld will rank very highly for many years.

So we definately don't need any NSW refugees thanks. We'll get by with our own talent.

Footnote - Only 3 days ago, Growden called Barnes as a sure bet for the Reds. We should have been worried when we heard this.

Way to go Nostradamus.

vCash
    just watching Foxsports and apparently the deal between the Tahs and Barnes "only took a few days to settle"
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    [/I][/B]

I disagree. Qld rugby is not a basket case, no matter how much some media want to beat it up. Just look at the complete domination of schoolboy rugby by Qld. Frankly, Qld produces the bulk of the new and emerging talent coming on line in this country and the Reds are actualy full of that talent - it hasn't yet properly matured, but when it does, Qld will rank very highly for many years.

So we definately don't need any NSW refugees thanks. We'll get by with our own talent.

Footnote - Only 3 days ago, Growden called Barnes as a sure bet for the Reds. We should have been worried when we heard this.

Way to go Nostradamus.
    Thats the spirit! Queensland has talent and they won't stay down for ever.
    This could be a proverbial defining moment with a new crop of players playing for state pride. Players that want to play for Queensland and will be very willing out on the paddock. Look at their play last season - a bit erratic, but they at least had a crack and tried to play attacking entertaining rugby. If Digby loses the teflon hands, things could go horribly well for the Reds. I would not be giving them up as a lost cause.

Champion
    vCash
    hope to see Barnes been run over like a speed hump by the front row or Didgy when the reds play the tarts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast