Thread: Waratahs' super-size Lote clone

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs' super-size Lote clone

THE 122kg cousin of Lote Tuqiri is shaping as a saviour for the depleted Waratahs backline in next season's Super 14.

As NSW officials scour the globe to fill holes in the three-quarter line left by the sudden departures of Tuqiri and Timana Taha, a likely solution is on their doorstep.

Winger Ratu Nasiganiyavi is ready, judging by his red-hot form with Randwick.

The 21-year-old, who is contracted to the Waratahs, has powered his way over for 14 tries in eight games for the Galloping Greens.

In Saturday's win over Gordon, Nasiganiyavi steamrolled several rivals to score the first of his two tries.

After a frustrating debut season at NSW, he is starting to display his matchwinning ability on a consistent basis.

"I'm pretty happy with the way I'm going, but obviously I've got a lot to work on," Nasiganiyavi said.

"Lote and Timana are disappointingly gone, which is a big loss for the squad - but out of the negative there may be a positive of me getting a shot next year in Super 14."

Nasiganiyavi's talent was recognised when selected in the Barbarians squad, playing 35 minutes against England at Twickenham.

"I learnt a huge amount from guys like Jerry Collins in that two weeks and I'm trying to adapt that into the club rugby scene," he said.

"I think this year is more a confidence-booster for me and trying to prove to the coaches at the Waratahs I am worth a shot for next year."

Running out before a packed house at Twickenham made Nasiganiyavi realise how far he had come - 12 months ago he was trying to make ends meet driving for a plumbing supply company before being signed by NSW.

But at the start of this year he suffered a stress fracture of his foot, which ruled him out of the Super 14 campaign.

He knows fitness is a key if he wants to step up to Super 14 and he is putting himself through extra sessions.

Yesterday he was lifting weights in a deserted Waratahs gym with the aim of starting next season at 118kg.

"To be honest, I can't wait for the pre-season to come along," he said.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said Nasiganiyavi was a player with great potential who had impressed with his work ethic.

"We are very hopeful that with another good pre-season under his belt we will see the best of Ratu," Hickey said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225754956556

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Would that be the "former Perth Spirit Ratu"????? ot can you only be a "former" Waratah???

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Nasiganiyavi's talent was recognised when selected in the Barbarians squad, playing 35 minutes against England at Twickenham.
    As TIF has pointed out, some of us recognised his talents a couple of years ago when he played for the Perth Spirit.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    As TIF has pointed out, some of us recognised his talents a couple of years ago when he played for the Perth Spirit.
    your letting fact get in the way......

vCash
    When I watched him play with the Spirit, he seemed to have a talent for being lazy and bombing plays through being in the wrong spot..........I guess that makes him a perfect Lote replacement.

Is he any good at dropping the ball over the tryline and making ridiculous statements to the press?

C'mon the

vCash
    Not sure about talking to the press, but he did have a talent for dropping the ball for the Spirit (OK, he did it twice, but then he only played about two-and-a-half games before he injured his leg).

In fact, I can't remember him ever passing the ball for the Spirit! Every time he touched it it seemed to be a try, a drop or his injury.

Player
    vCash
    He was a young kid back then. He's form for Randwick has been impressive. There seems to be a bit of sour grapes, that he's signed with the Tahs and not the Force. He played for the Spirit so the Force had their chance.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Tell yourself that if you like, but it is not quite how it happened. Many here have been aware of him for a good while, as he was playing club rugby in Perth prior to playing for the Spirit. Rumour was that the Force were interested, but when the 2008 team list was released he wasn't on it. Caused a little comment, but it was hardly a shock based on his training reputation and a known tendency for injury. He then popped up playing for Randwick, apparently doing well enough to subsequently get a gig with the 'Tahs. Good on him and all, but it was hardly like he was snaked out from under us. I think most probably have fingers crossed that he has found the drive (maturity?) to develop the potential, but would quietly caution against getting hopes too high.

vCash
    Actually I thought he would be a pretty good prospect if he could sort his positional play.......my comment was more of a jibe at Lote than Ratu.

I thought he looked confused for most of the game when playing for the Spirit (and I don't remember him scoring a try Sheikh)

Good on the 'Tahs for picking him up, I haven't seen him play for a while now, so he could be a totally different guy....I guess the 'Tahs history developing wingers in recent years makes me wonder though!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    He scored against the Vikings in Round 2 at MES

vCash
    I hope he does crack on at the Tahs. He's got huge potential to be a Lomu-style wrecking ball on the wing, and if he's learnt to do the gym-work he may avoid the injuries. The trouble is, that's the potential which people attributed to Lote, too.

Player
    vCash
    But unlike Lote he is a Rugby player. Not a Leaguie trying to play Ruigby. As for the Lomu comparison. Thats how many of the spectators at last years JWC thought too.

vCash
    physcially he is awsome, but he doesnt come with great natural talent nor does he read the game very well, he would be perfect for the NRL but he might struggle with the complexities of S14 defence.