QUEENSLAND rugby is teetering on the brink of the abyss as the aftershock of Berrick Barnes' departure toppled the state's two top officials and caused the Reds' two remaining star players to reconsider their commitment to the disintegrating franchise.

In the wake of yesterday's stunning developments, which saw QRU chairman Peter Lewis and chief executive Ken Freer announce their resignations, an alarmed Will Chambers of the Melbourne Storm, the Reds' only major new signing for 2010, re-opened talks with Queensland last night even as Reds' Test winger Digby Ioane was contemplating following Barnes to NSW.

Lewis, who barely a week ago resigned from the listed property company that he founded, Trinity, in the investor backlash that followed the costly departure of the group's newly-installed management team, drafted a second resignation letter yesterday after being hit by another wave of criticism from disgruntled "shareholders" following the loss of Barnes to the Waratahs.

"The Berrick Barnes thing was a knock to us all," said Lewis. "But I accept no responsibility for him leaving. I put that on his shoulders. We went the extra mile for Berrick. There was not a single thing he asked for that wasn't given. It's poor form."

An emergency meeting of the QRU board last night elected prominent Brisbane stockbroker Steve Wilson as acting chairman until a committee, chaired by QRU president David Crombie, can decide who will take Lewis's place as a director.

Freer's resignation should have been less dramatic, given it will not take place until the end of October and had been telegraphed for weeks. But news of it came out in a rush, with Freer going public after erroneous reports that he had been sacked.

The decapitation of the QRU leadership could cost the Reds their star cross-code recruit, with Chambers' manager, Jim Banaghan, claiming the brilliant Storm centre had only signed on with the franchise after being assured Barnes, Ioane and Wallabies utility forward Hugh McMeniman all would re-commit. With Barnes now aligned with the Waratahs, McMeniman having signed with Japanese club Kubota and Ioane looking shakier by the day, Chambers is getting a lot less than he bargained for.

"We'll be looking to revisit everything with whoever is in charge now," said Banaghan. "We're worried. From where we're sitting it's a shemozzle."

Ioane clearly has a similar view of the situation, insisting he now would have to make whatever decision was best for his rugby.

Reds general manager Daniel Herbert could give no guarantees last night that Chambers and Ioane would pull on the maroon jersey next season.

"I don't know," said Herbert. "But if the worst-case scenario happens, we pick ourselves up and we keep moving forward. I'm aware of perceptions. The situation is going to look bad for a few days yet. Sometimes you need to go backwards in order to move forward."

Hopefully, Herbert's no-nonsense optimism, so reminiscent of the direct approach he adopted during his 67-Test career, is not wildly misplaced.

But it is a perfect storm that is enveloping Queensland rugby, with Freer admitting that even the franchise's major sponsor, Queensland Rail, might not extend its support beyond next season once the freight side of its operation is privatised.

"They're going through their own changes and they'll have to re-assess that," Freer said. "In that respect there is (doubt)."

There was widespread speculation of a "back to the future" solution to the problem of finding a replacement for Freer, with former CEO-former Reds coach Jeff Miller and dual World Cup winner Tim Horan both touted as serious contenders.

Miller, who resigned as chief executive to take over as Queensland coach after Andrew Slack's decision to stand down from the job in 2003, did nothing to douse that speculation.
"I had my time there but I'm available to help in whatever capacity I'm needed," Miller said. "We all want to see the Reds get back to where they once were. "Now it's going to take some significant intervention to get them to that place."

Precisely what he meant by "intervention" was unclear but certainly his old ally, Australian Rugby Union chief executive John O'Neill, would be watching the unfolding Queensland drama intently. He might not need to wait until the selection of Australia's fifth Super 15 team to launch his private equity initiative.

But if the Reds do decide to take the "back to the future" approach, it might want to consider going back a little further after legendary QRU administrator Terry Doyle also raised his hand to return to the CEO position he held during the glory years from 1980 to 1996.

"I'd be very interested in the job if they were serious about talking to me," said Doyle, 63.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html