Thread: Chisholm is a ready and willing Wallaby

vCash

Chisholm is a ready and willing Wallaby

A genuine lineout jumper alternative

Mark Chisholm will return to Wallabies training today with a simple message for his under-performing teammates: 'I'm ready to step up'.

The ACT Brumbies second-rower flew to Sydney last night to join a Wallabies squad lagging at the bottom of the Tri Nations table following consecutive losses to the All Blacks and Springboks.

Chisholm received a phone call from Australian coach Robbie Deans on Tuesday night after a searching fitness session with Brumbies strength and conditioning coach Rod Lindsell.

"Robbie pretty much just said 'congratulations, you're back in the squad' and I was pretty taken aback by the whole thing," Chisholm told The Canberra Times yesterday.

"I'm very grateful because I certainly didn't think I was any chance of getting a call-up this early. I was looking to push for the spring tour later in the year so this is a fairly big surprise.

"That said, I've certainly now got my eyes on playing against the All Blacks next weekend."

Chisholm missed the Brumbies' final six Super 14 matches earlier this year after he broke his wrist playing against the Free State Cheetahs in Bloemfontein in early April.

He required two operations to fix the problem and was sidelined for 18 weeks before he returned for Randwick in the Sydney club rugby competition five days ago.

Given he has played only one game since April 4, there would be an element of risk on the Wallabies selectors' behalf should they rush Chisholm back into the starting line-up for the New Zealand Test in nine days time.

But with incumbent locks Nathan Sharpe and James Horwill both under-achieving in the Tri Nations, Deans may take the risk with Chisholm and play him at ANZ Stadium anyway.

"I wouldn't be in the squad if I wasn't going to put my best foot forward and get back in the Test side," Chisholm said.

"I'm certainly going to push for that selection. I'm not a coach, I'm just a player keen to get back in there so I have no idea what the selectors are thinking.

"But hopefully if/when I get back, I can bring something to the team."

Chisholm admitted to "definite first-game soreness" following his club game for Randwick on the weekend but believed he was physically ready for a recall to the international arena.

"I feel great, the body really enjoyed the challenges of playing again last week and didn't take overly long to recover," he said.

"Obviously a Bledisloe Cup match is a different ball game but I've done a lot of work and I'm ready."

Meanwhile the Brumbies yesterday confirmed the signing of Andrew Smith on a one-season rookie contract.

Smith shone for the Brumbies on their recent four-game tour of France, prompting coach Andy Friend to offer the 26-year-old the final outside backs position for the 2010 Super 14 season.

Smith can play outside centre, wing and fullback.

He has represented the Australian under-19s and Australian Sevens squads in 2004 and was a member of the NSW Professional Academy in 2008.

Chis run 50 metres & scores against Wales 2008 spring tour

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Whatever were we doing with ourselves living without the incessant Nags posts from Muddy for the last few weeks?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Whatever were we doing with ourselves living without the incessant Nags posts from Muddy for the last few weeks?
    Clearly not enough people...

vCash
    Muddy - where have you been?

and anyone else want to chip in for a ticket back there??

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Muddy - where have you been?

and anyone else want to chip in for a ticket back there??
    I've been very busy on projects at work, and had to sit on the bench for a while last week... for being a nag....