Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SCHOOLBOY STAR LUKE JONES COMMITS TO EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE

vCash

SCHOOLBOY STAR LUKE JONES COMMITS TO EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE

The Emirates Western Force have secured one of Australia’s brightest forward prospects, with teenager Luke Jones signing a one year rookie contract with the club.

Jones, who captained NSW Schools at the recent National Championships, becomes the first forward to sign a full-time professional contract whilst still in school in Australian rugby history.

The 18 year old has played the majority of his representative rugby at lock, but also has the versatility to play blindside flanker or number 8.

A product of St Pius X College in Chatswood, Jones will begin training with the WA club at the completion of the Australian Schoolboys tour of the UK in December.

RugbyWA General Manager, Rugby, Mitch Hardy, said Jones was the outstanding forward at the Schools National Championships.

“Based on his recent performances, we view Luke as a player who will be a candidate for Super 14 selection in 2010,” Hardy said.

“Luke has strong skills, a big motor and is aggressive at the breakdown. As David Pocock has shown here, if you are good enough then you are old enough.

“We have an excellent group of young lock/flankers who we expect to develop quickly under the tutelage of Nathan Sharpe and John Mitchell.”

Jones said he was excited to have the opportunity to move west and push for selection with the likes of Tom Hockings, Sam Wykes, Richard Stanford and the 78-Test veteran Sharpe.

“I’m looking forward to being involved in the professional rugby environment, and the Force have given me the chance to do so,” Jones said.

“Working with John Mitchell and Nathan Sharpe will be really beneficial for my game, and the forward pack at the club is outstanding; there are international players across the board.

“School is the priority for me at this stage, but I can’t wait to arrive in Perth and get involved.”

2010 Emirates Western Force squad (as at 14 August 2009). New squad members in bold:

Backs (16): Mark Bartholomeusz, Ryan Cross, Nick Cummins, Sam Harris, Stefano Hunt, Dane Haylett-Petty, Mitchell Inman, James O’Connor*, Chris O’Young, Andre Pretorius, Haig Sare, Brett Sheehan, Cameron Shepherd, Mark Swanepoel, Josh Tatupu, Justin Turner (A).

Forwards (17): Richard Brown, Pek Cowan, Matt Dunning, Tim Fairbrother, Nic Henderson, Tom Hockings, Matt Hodgson, Luke Jones, David Pocock, Kieran Longbottom, Filipe Manu (A), Ben McCalman, Nathan Sharpe, Richard Stanford, Ryan Tyrrell (A), Ben Whittaker, Sam Wykes.

* yet to sign

(A) senior academy member

FACT FILE

Luke Jones

Position:Lock/6/8

Physical: 1.97m, 108kg

Representative Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2008/2009)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i know this is a little off-topic but just noticed that we are starting to have a decidedly african flavour at the Force this year
    Pretorious
    Pocock
    Swanepoel
    DHP

all hail from the dark continent. a wise move IMHO there is a MUCH larger market over there than the islands or NZ even for that matter. (not forgetting to keep it as local as possible though)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force first with signing of Jones

The West Australian
    August 14, 2009, 10:33 am

WA News / Mal Fairclough ©

Western Force today claimed a piece of history with the signing of teenager Luke Jones.

Jones, who captained NSW Schools at the recent National Championships, has agreed a one-year rookie contract with the club and so becomes the first forward to sign a full-time professional contract while still in school in Australian rugby history.

The 18-year-old has played the most of his rugby at lock, although he has also featured at blindside flanker or No8.

"Based on his recent performances, we view Luke as a player who will be a candidate for Super 14 selection in 2010," RugbyWA general manager, rugby, Mitch Hardy said.

"He has strong skills, a big motor and is aggressive at the breakdown. As David Pocock has shown here, if you are good enough then you are old enough.

"We have an excellent group of young lock/flankers who we expect to develop quickly under the tutelage of Nathan Sharpe and John Mitchell."

Jones will push for selection with the likes of Tom Hockings, Sam Wykes, Richard Stanford and the 78-Test veteran Sharpe.

"I'm looking forward to being involved in the professional rugby environment and the Force have given me the chance to do so," he said.

"Working with John Mitchell and Nathan Sharpe will be really beneficial for my game, and the forward pack at the club is outstanding; there are international players across the board.

"School is the priority for me at this stage but I can't wait to arrive in Perth and get involved."

Force squad (as at 14 August 2009)

Backs (16): Mark Bartholomeusz, Ryan Cross, Nick Cummins, Sam Harris, Stefano Hunt, Dane Haylett-Petty, Mitchell Inman, James O'Connor*, Chris O'Young, Andre Pretorius, Haig Sare, Brett Sheehan, Cameron Shepherd, Mark Swanepoel, Josh Tatupu, Justin Turner (A).

Forwards (17): Richard Brown, Pek Cowan, Matt Dunning, Tim Fairbrother, Nic Henderson, Tom Hockings, Matt Hodgson, Luke Jones, David Pocock, Kieran Longbottom, Filipe Manu (A), Ben McCalman, Nathan Sharpe, Richard Stanford, Ryan Tyrrell (A), Ben Whittaker, Sam Wykes.*O'Connor yet to sign

vCash
    While its great the Force are giving this kid a go for a year asa rookie... How is the school thing going to work out?... or are his HSC subjects, English line-out calls, Scrum Physics, Tackle Biology, Kick Chase Mathematics, Match Committee Business and Mitchell Music class... I guess if he gets a pass he's ahead...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The contract is for the 2010 season.

By then he is finished school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    While its great the Force are giving this kid a go for a year asa rookie... How is the school thing going to work out?... or are his HSC subjects, English line-out calls, Scrum Physics, Tackle Biology, Kick Chase Mathematics, Match Committee Business and Mitchell Music class... I guess if he gets a pass he's ahead...
    i know its difficult to comprehend, bu it actually says in the article "Jones will begin training with the WA club at the completion of the Australian Schoolboys tour of the UK in December".

vCash
    Thats better... I hope he does well... However Scrum Physics could have helped

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well he has the best school here to learn that.

vCash

Question

Who is going to be our hooker? It looks like we will have a great scrum but....
    I haven't seen anything in the press and I cant see one listed in the forwards. Whats going on?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Its a secret......not saying....muddy thinks we are in trouble.

vCash
    Dunning for Hooker!!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Hodgson for hooker

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    i know this is a little off-topic but just noticed that we are starting to have a decidedly african flavour at the Force this year
    Pretorious
    Pocock
    Swanepoel
    DHP

all hail from the dark continent. a wise move IMHO there is a MUCH larger market over there than the islands or NZ even for that matter. (not forgetting to keep it as local as possible though)
    Nice isn't it. Gives a little variety huh.

Hooker is the only spot where another player is needed but were 2 months out from pre-season and 6 out from when the comp restarts so plenty of time- no need to stress.

There are a few possibles that have been thrown about and I think the worst case scenario will see the Force give Elvis Taione from Manly a contract. He may not be brilliant but he's better than nothing. I think the Force is hanging out to see. Reckon Mitch is in SA to test out the Currie Cup hookers we could get as a foreign 'development' player.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    excuse me,I may be tired & emotional tonight,but i can't understand the point of only a one year contract for the kid

vCash
    Great to see another young gun signing and step towards the future!!

Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    excuse me,I may be tired & emotional tonight,but i can't understand the point of only a one year contract for the kid
    ...because they have every intention of upgrading him to a full super 14 playing contract if he's the goods and if he's not they can part ways amicably.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast