Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swashbuckling Tuqiri's compelling case

vCash

Thumbs up Swashbuckling Tuqiri's compelling case

Josh Rakic | August 16, 2009

WALLABIES discard Lote Tuqiri yesterday showed why he's still regarded as the best winger in international rugby, dominating proceedings in his first match since June.

Despite his unfair dismissal case against the Australian Rugby Union still being before the courts, Tuqiri looked anything but a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders after having his $1.2 million-a-year contract torn up in July.

Playing for West Harbour for nothing more then a few snags and a beer, the dreadlocked speedster had a hand in everything in the narrow 23-16 loss to Warringah in the Shute Shield match - despite wearing the No.11 jumper.

Only the playmakers touched the ball more than the crowd favourite, who drew in more than 2000 spectators for the seventh-versus-eighth clash at Pittwater Park.

Afterwards, Tuqiri declared himself pleased with the outing - and the chance to put his off-field woes behind him, temporarily at least.

''I was feeling it in that first half but the competitive juices started flowing in that second half and we nearly got them home,'' he said. ''We come home with a wet sail but just didn't have enough time.

''I was pretty happy with the game - got a few touches on and busted a few tackles. So it was good for the confidence. And back to the footy, I love it. I can't think of anything better to keep my mind off things.

''The support's great and it's been great for the last five or six weeks. I've got to commend the public and all these kids here and walking down the street. That's what you play for. I don't know how my under-11s went the other day, they played today, but I'll see how they go.''

Asked if he knew what the future held, Tuqiri said: ''Not yet. I'll see how everything goes and wait for another couple of weeks and go from there.

''There's things [offers and rumours] going on everywhere and you've got to take everything in, but I'll just see what pans out. I just love playing footy and to be back next game for the Pirates.''

Tuqiri's first touch came in just the 15th second when he fielded a bomb inside his own half under heavy Warringah pressure. The crowd, just two metres to his left, howled but Tuqiri took the swirling high ball as he was collected.

His involvement was evident from the opening whistle, barking out orders from his left wing.

Not content with staying on his wing, Tuqiri was constantly in the action from the get go, moving into centre and even fullback at stages.

At the fourth minute he got his second touch playing one in, put boot to ball and a play later chased down a flying Jordan Macey and stopped a certain try by knocking the ball clean from his hands, although he did concede a penalty.

Two phases later and it was the home side that posted first points, No.9 Brett Sheehan converting a penalty goal for a spear tackle directly in front of the posts.

The 67-test veteran was involved again at the eighth minute, carving up Warringah's right edge defence to put try-scoring machine Henry Seavula into space.

Despite the Pirates' mountain of possession in attacking positions, it was the home side that notched the first try through No.4 workhorse Hugh Pyle.

With Tuqiri's wing proving impenetrable, the Rats shifted their attack to the other side of the field for an almost instant result. An in-form Sheehan, who threw a classy 25m pass to start the phase, missed the conversion for Warringah to lead 8-0 after 17 minutes of the first half.

The Pirates posted their first points of the match at the 21st minute, when an Tuqiri-inspired attacking play down his opposite edge ended up in the visitors receiving a penalty at the breakdown.

Gun fullback Nick Reily converted to have the scores at 8-3. Tuqiri then stopped a certain try on his wing, holding up Pat McCabe and winning the ball back in the process.

But another breakdown infringement, this time by the Pirates, let Sheehan extend Warringah's lead to 11-3 with another penalty goal.

Tuqiri's game had just one blemish in the first half when he turned over the ball in a good attacking position with eight minutes left on the clock, just 20m short of the Rats' line after some impressive lead-up work by his forwards.

But the fumble had little effect, Reily making the most of a Rats penalty to get the Pirates within five points at the 35th minute mark.

Tuqiri's wing came under pressure early in the second stanza when Macey chipped around the the former Waratah, capitalised on a perfect bounce and sped away to score the second try of the match.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...99.html?page=2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    WALLABIES discard Lote Tuqiri yesterday showed why he's still regarded as the best winger in international rugby, dominating proceedings in his first match since June.
    I couldn't get further than this bit.... who exactly rates Turkey as the "best winger in international rugby??

vCash
    Answer: Journo Josh Rakic... a little over written perhaps... However its nice to see Lote back on the field and playing well...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    "Swashbuckling Tuqiri"?

Lote and the journo sitting in a tree
    k-i-s-s-i-n-g.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    However its nice to see Lote back on the field and playing well...
    Are you still going to think that next year when he is in a League jersey??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Are you still going to think that next year when he is in a League jersey??
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yep... If thats what he has to do to make a buck... I've got no issue with Lote and wish him all the best at what even he applies his skills to...

vCash
    So the 'best winger in international rugby' 'dominated proceedings' 'in the narrow 23-16 loss' in 'the seventh-versus-eighth clash'.

Shouldn't the best winger in international rugby make a significant difference between two otherwise (fairly) evenly matched teams. And if he did dominate the match, should his team have won?

I'm thinking that Josh Rakic has some significant man-love for Lote. Hmmm, given the rumours on here recently...

vCash
    There are a lot of S14 & Force boys in the Rats team... Pirates only have Lote...

vCash
    Must have been interesting for him to play a game where he actually got the ball passed to him after being in the Tahs for so long.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    There are a lot of S14 & Force boys in the Rats team... Pirates only have Lote...
    They have Salesi Ma'afu too but its ok not to mention him. He's only a Brumby after all.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    oh well add Salesi Maafu also... However It takes at least 2 Brumbies to win a Shute Shied match.... the Pirates don't have the S14 players other clubs do...

vCash
    The number of Super 14 players is no excuse. If he's the best winger in International rugby surely he would be capable of scoring more tries to give his team a bigger lead...isn't that what world class wingers are meant to do?

vCash
    would also help if he could catch...

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    No matter how good your wingers are, if your forwards can't win good quality ball you'll be going nowhere fast. Tuqiri is pretty average though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I was at the game and he actually played quite well, was quiet during the 1st half but opened up in the 2nd - wasn't a standout, i actually think both of the Rats wingers outshone him! Was an awesome day out over there, WA rugby has a looooooong way to go!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast