Poll: Should WA have extended trading hours (shops open till 9pm weeknights)?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Western Australia have extended trading hours?

vCash
    Having worked in the finance industry at one time, I was against late night shopping simply because it would mean me working late and as such, against it for those employees "forced" to cover the late shift.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    longer trading hours less money in my pocket because i will have more time to spend it

so I say leave it as is

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    No, no, no!

Could go into a long argument about this but not going to...not at the moment anyway.

Have seen this happen once before in my life and didn't like the outcome, so absolutely against it!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    whenever the major shopping centres are open on a sunday, there always packed out ...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Bring it on both me and the missus work extended hours and have done for years, so getting to the shop is a little difficult. Going to IGA all the time hits the hip pocket as they generally charge more and have a very limited range in stock.

The majority of the people I have spoken to that are against it (not all) have people at home that don’t work so getting to the shops for them isn’t so much of an issue.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    It's just a question of time....we'll get extended hours in the end.
    We know that we are far behind the other states, if Adelaide starts laughing at us.
    I just loved the fact that they did a poll on ACA and said that the No vote won by a big margin........52% to 48%......and then......wait for it......votes counted.....1900 odd, so how can you even publish results like that if that is not even 0.1% of Perth's population.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Extended/Deregulated trading hours did not kill off small business in the East, even Tasmania and South Australia have deregulated shopping hours. The myth being perpetuated by small business here in the West and IGA (who aren't the small independents they claim to be, being owned by an overseas company) is laughable, including myths regarding opening hours being set by major retailers, the myth that major retailers will increase their share of the market.

Adelaide and Hobart are laughing at us.

Every one I have spoken to is in favour of the move to completely deregulated shopping hours

Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    longer trading hours less money in my pocket because i will have more time to spend it

so I say leave it as is
    I hope that is a joke, Perhaps a measure of self control is required on your behalf

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I just don't want Australia to become like England with their big Tescos and Sainsburys. All selling everything from pharmaceuticals to clothes etc etc including booze.

Getting that big they run chemists, butchers, clothes shops (particularly childrens clothes), bottle-o's and music stores out of business. Especially in the small towns. Just don't think its worth it.

Did you know that Tescos is looking at building new towns in England just so that they can put it more Tescos mega stores? Crazy.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I just don't want Australia to become like England with their big Tescos and Sainsburys. All selling everything from pharmaceuticals to clothes etc etc including booze.

Getting that big they run chemists, butchers, clothes shops (particularly childrens clothes), bottle-o's and music stores out of business. Especially in the small towns. Just don't think its worth it.
    I will assume that the closest thing we have to those two English stores is Coles and Woolworths?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

Every one I have spoken to is in favour of the move to completely deregulated shopping hours
    Yeah, but wasn't everyone you spoke to in favour of DLS? Your lines of argument on both issues seem vaguely similar. Why do people keep telling you one thing and then voting a landslide for the opposite on poll day?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yeah, but wasn't everyone you spoke to in favour of DLS? Your lines of argument on both issues seem vaguely similar. Why do people keep telling you one thing and then voting a landslide for the opposite on poll day?
    Not everyone I knew, most people I know were in favour of DLS. My parents weren't for a start (silly old farts), and DLS savings won in the Metro area by over 100,000 votes

I voted no on extended trading hours in 2005 as at that time I started work at 5am and had plenty of time to get to the shops. I have changed my mind since starting a job with "normal" hours

vCash
    at that time I started work at 5am and had plenty of time to get to the shops. I have changed my mind since starting a job with "normal" hours
    And all the poor bastards working in the supermarkets now can just suck it up?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    And all the poor bastards working in the supermarkets now can just suck it up?
    Now your just baiting, surely not even you could believe that the staff at the Supermarkets would do all the extra hours

vCash
    Now your just baiting,

vCash

Figured as such

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast