Poll: Should WA have extended trading hours (shops open till 9pm weeknights)?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Should Western Australia have extended trading hours?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    To see Australia...oh, wait...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    As an aside to this debate, I know someone who works in retail and she has already been told that her hours will include Saturday and Sunday for no extra pay.It will be a mix of senior staff and casuals being paid the minimum. No ifs buts or maybes, this now means she has to find childcare for these days. Are the child care centres open I think not. As it is now she just manages with the child care during the week.

Last edited by Elf1; 19-08-09 at 16:53.

vCash
    While on training in Oklahoma, I came to the conclusion that no-one should be able to buy breakfast cereal and a gun and then sit down to a triple cheeseburger in the same store (i.e. Walmart), so in that regard I agree with James vis-a-vis the Tesco situation.

I just have no idea what it has to do with leaving shops open until 7 or 9pm. I don't think there's even a "thin end of the wedge" arguement in it.

I can't see extended trade (or preferably deregulation) here being any different to elsewhere in the country, which for the most part means supermarkets of any persusion open until 7,8 or 9pm, specialty stores and department stores closed at 5 or 6 just like they are now (Sorry Happy, no 2am TV shopping) unless there's some sort of promotion on (like when K-Mart or Target have their "15% off- Open until 10pm" jobs)

FWIW, on said 15% off nights (having worked many of them) I'd struggle to think of anyone rostered on after 6pm who wasn't a part-time/casual student who normally worked weekends and was thankful for the extra beer money (well, the uni students anyhoo... what do high school students spend money on??)

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Drugs, weapons and abortions, according to most of the papers...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Drugs, weapons and abortions, according to most of the papers...
    I'm trying to remember and all I can come up with is formals and schoolies... hang on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    FWIW, on said 15% off nights (having worked many of them) I'd struggle to think of anyone rostered on after 6pm who wasn't a part-time/casual student who normally worked weekends and was thankful for the extra beer money (well, the uni students anyhoo... what do high school students spend money on??)

alchahol, saving for a car, take away foods, board, music, concert tickets to name a few things that i spent my money on.

from my time as a as a casual in retail(both as a sales assistant and a supervising/managing role), most bosses are pretty lenient towards when you work. most small buisnesses generally have a set roster - because it's a pain in the arse when people dont check their shifts due to them changing; also a lot of young casuals also have sport or other after school commitments. sometimes a roster is on a 14 day cycle. so one week you get thursday night. the other saturday.

it all depends on how the buisness is run. if the shops open on sundays or are allowed to trade later on weeknights small and big buisness will adapt. more opening time should allow for more time to sell their product. and saturdays wont be as flat out. so a buisness probably wont need to roster as many people on for saturdays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Why do you think I left the UK?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    To see Australia...oh, wait...
    Well, if there was any work for me in Perth I'd still be there and not stuck out here suffering the 40C temperatures, constant sunshine, easy lifestyle, ... Why am I coming back?

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Well its 2009 and its about time everyone just sucked it up and realised Perth is catching up with the real world. The days of starting work at 9 and knocking off at 5 have long gone. We are a society thats wants whatever anytime, We have left the 60's and it is about time poor little isolated Perth got a grip. Dont give me this crap about poor buggers working odd hours, weekend work etc. Ive done it for years, tradesmen, farmers , hospitality workers, doctors. nurses, etc and so has half the population for the same financial reward.
    It wasnt that long ago you couldnt buy more than 2 king browns from a pub drive through on a Sunday session and if you needed fuel you had to travel a motza to find a roster servo!
    Do you want to keep paying those thieiving bastards at servos arse tearing prices for a Coke, cat food, toilet paper whatever.
    No wonder we still have Subi....cause basically we deserve it and sums up the apathetic mindset of a lot of us. Lets grow up and join the real world.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    You know what TLH...for someone who doesn't like Daylight Savings you're pretty forward thinking!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Procrastination is the thief of time!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    you da man TLH !

Senior Player Contributor WaterBoy's Avatar
    vCash
    I think that the only reason the larger shops would support extended trading hours is so that they can get rid of penalty rates and so that the shopping centres can then dictate what times all shops have to open.

[QUOTE=tragic;225452]jono, Along with deregulation comes the legislation to stop retail premises owners dictating when tenants may and may not open (which they can do at present).[QUOTE]This is not true at my local shopping centre most smaller shops do not open until after 9am and the centre managers (Centro) cannot do anything about it. I don't believe that legislation to 'stop premises owners dictating when tenants may or may not open' will follow an introduction of extended trading hours. If we have extended trading it will be extended trading carte blanche.

My local shoping centre is dead on a Thursday night and never does Sunday trading. How will they cope if they have to be open until 9pm on weekdays with no more shoppers? Who is going to pay for the extra outgoings for the extra time they are open? I just can't see how demand can increase because the supply is available for longer hours. Once i've got my shopping i don't go and buy another lot becasue IGA is open and Woollies is closed.

I don't want my kids to have to work in a shop until 9pm during the week(Thursdays excepted). Its the young ones who will suffer and will have to take the late shifts when they should be home studying, playing sport and or just having meals at home with the family.

I would even go one step further and bring the Saturday Trading back to a 12pm finish. Then we could all get to the Rugby and then relax on Sunday and heal our wounds with family and friends.

Got to love the 'member profiles', have a look...

http://www.dunsboroughdungbeetles.com/ Don't seem to have a webpage anymore so go to https://www.facebook.com/Dunsborough...tlesRugbyClub/

vCash
    Waterboy, from where do you get the understanding that shops will *have* to be open?
    Or the understanding that if the shops are open, you have to be shopping? Why can't you choose to do as you wish?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Catching up with the rest of the world is not allways the best way forward but it appears that others mistakes will always be our mistakes.

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 ----------

I have also found that cheaper is not always what it seems.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    ok lets go back to sunday roster system for fuel!! That'll teach the rest of the world we don't follow!! Yeah.. that'll learn em!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast