Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force coach John Mitchell presented match jerseys to Springboks

vCash
    Agree with Gigs20, what utter garbage.

Next they will blame the wallabies poor form on "FirePower" and it will be the Force's fault because they were the "only ones" taken in by Johnstone.

I would expected more from a great like Ella, it must be the air or something on the East Coast.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To be fair, I was a little surprised that an active Australian Coach would have been asked, but not surprised that he would have accepted if asked.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Yes I was suprised also. I think that honour should go to a former player of the team involved. While I don't think that caused the Wallabies to play badly I do feel a little uncomfortable that John Mitchell was used to motivate a team that was to play against a team containing several players he coaches. It sounds like Robbie Deans and the ARU where happy for him to go ahead so I guess thats the main thing

vCash
    I agree that it was weird, but it certainly WASN'T the reason the Wallabies lost, we can blow that one out of the water right now!

I think the questions would be more around why did SARU ask him.....It seems as though his links with SA Rugby are fairly limited......maybe they're looking to butter him up to replace the quote machine!

He would fit well into SA rugby, no compromise, no airy fairy bullshit, you play this way or you're gone!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe they are laying a framework for a WA team in the CC.....

Veteran
    vCash
    ooh... get the spirit into the cup, that would be nice... more rugby is always a benefit!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    get the spirit into the cup
    Bleah >_< The Force thankyou! Moot point...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I didn't find it weird - Perth is Mitchell's stomping ground. I saw it more as the Boks paying homage to John Mitchell than the other way around ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Didn't JM spend a couple of weeks with the Sharks recently (or was that just a commitee meeting with his former halfback pairing (Valentine & Gits)!!!)?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Brilliant idea - forget coaching tactics, skills, conditioning, etc. Let's just get Nelson Mandela to hand out the Wallabies jerseys. Certain win.

vCash
    Article extract:
    Force chief executive Vern Reid said Rugby WA gave Mitchell permission to hand out the Springbok jerseys on the proviso he received the approval of Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who was once Mitchell's assistant coach at the All Blacks.

"My view is that it is an honour to present an international team's jumper," Reid said.

"John asked me for permission. I said it was fine as long as he asked Robbie Deans and he was happy...

Vern Reid just passed off the decision to Deans... Thats a joke... Mitchell shouldn't have to ask what is the right thing to do, but just do it... and be supportive of your environment and team... Mitchell just couldn't turn down a chance to step into the spotlight, he's out for himself first... thumbs down from mudskipper... How many Force players were in the Wallabies?

vCash
    JM poached Andre PRETORIUS and spent many months chasing various other players as well such as Bismark du Plesis etc.. and they give him the honour of handing out the jerseys - have suspected for some time that the SARU have lost the plot - now I know it's true - next time it happens will send him some itching powder.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

Vern Reid just passed off the decision to Deans... Thats a joke... Mitchell shouldn't have to ask what is the right thing to do, but just do it... and be supportive of your environment and team... Mitchell just couldn't turn down a chance to step into the spotlight, he's out for himself first... thumbs down from mudskipper... How many Force players were in the Wallabies?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    That's right Muddie, never mind the traditions, camraderie and ethos of the game, doesn't he know this is actually WAR!!! I mean really, where does the IRB get off coming out with crap like:

"Rugby is valued as a sport for men and women, boys and girls. It builds teamwork, understanding, co-operation and respect for fellow athletes. Its cornerstones are, as they always have been: the pleasure of participating; the courage and skill which the Game demands; the love of a team sport that enriches the lives of all involved; and the lifelong friendships forged through a shared interest in the Game.

It is because of, not despite, Rugby’s intensely physical and athletic characteristics that such great camaraderie exists before and after matches. The long standing tradition of players from competing teams enjoying each other’s company away from the pitch and in a social context, remains at the very core of the Game.

Rugby has fully embraced the professional era, but has retained the ethos and traditions of the recreational Game. In an age in which many traditional sporting qualities are being diluted or even challenged, Rugby is rightly proud of its ability to retain high standards of sportsmanship, ethical behaviour and fair play. It is hoped that this Charter will help reinforce those cherished values."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    FORMER Wallabies captain Mark Ella has questioned whether it was fitting for Western Force coach John Mitchell to hand out the Springbok jerseys prior to the Test against the Wallabies in Perth last Saturday.

Springbok winger Bryan Habana revealed after South Africa's 32-25 win against the Wallabies that Mitchell had presented the jerseys to the players on the Friday.

According to Habana, Mitchell's "stern words" had motivated them so much they wanted to go out and play that day.
    Bloody hell, he tried those 'stern words' out on a couple of the Aussie blokes and they spat the dummy.

Mitch can do what he likes. Seriously. He is NOT an ARU employee, and the only rugby that honestly matters to him is the Super14 competition. Sure, having some of his mighty team in the wallabies squad is important, but the guy can hand jerseys and say what he likes to his hearts content, and noone should give him a hard time about it

Last edited by robyn <3; 01-09-09 at 19:48. Reason: spelling

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast