Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force coach John Mitchell presented match jerseys to Springboks

vCash

Western Force coach John Mitchell presented match jerseys to Springboks

Perth - The tweaking of tactics by both the Boks and Wallabies, and the influence of New Zealand referee Bryce Lawrence, will have a significant impact on Saturday's Tri-Nations Test.

Victory for the Springboks will take Peter de Villiers's team one step closer to taking the Tri-Nations title; a win for the Australians is essential if they are to stay alive in the competition...............

and down the bottom of the article

The Boks on Friday took the unusual step of asking Western Force and former All Black coach John Mitchell, who was with the Sharks for a fortnight recently, to present the match jerseys. And that will have ruffled feathers in both Australia and New Zealand.

Winning Tests away from home is exceptionally difficult, but the Boks enjoy playing in Perth where they have won their last two Tri-Nations games and enjoy the backing of a large contingent of supporters.

With a rich spread of experience throughout the team, in the talent they have in key areas and with a proven match-winner in Morne Steyn, the Boks have a team for all seasons. It will be rough and intense, but this is a Test they really should win.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Did someone mention itching powder

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    No but they have now.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Q muddy

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Conspirators… Changing uniforms…Giving out jerseys….
    I know nothing…. It must be reported to Field Marshal J. O'Neill

Last edited by mudskipper; 29-08-09 at 11:01.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

…. I know nothing….

Stating the bleeding obvious.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper
    I know nothing….

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    yeah - what he said

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash

No cigar Shultz… Conspirators… must be demoted… Orders by Field Marshall J, O'Neill… or exported to French resistance Rugby…
    AKA Wingman Lote...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTw1O...layer_embedded

Last edited by mudskipper; 29-08-09 at 11:31.

vCash
    Don't do anything predictable Muddy.....surprise us

too late

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Don't do anything predictable Muddy.....surprise us

too late

Just keep backing him BOYs because the guy is a walking question mark... fasten all our ships to his shore... keep the man love...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell helped Boks: Ella

Bret Harris | September 01, 2009
    Article from: The Australian
    FORMER Wallabies captain Mark Ella has questioned whether it was fitting for Western Force coach John Mitchell to hand out the Springbok jerseys prior to the Test against the Wallabies in Perth last Saturday.

Springbok winger Bryan Habana revealed after South Africa's 32-25 win against the Wallabies that Mitchell had presented the jerseys to the players on the Friday.

According to Habana, Mitchell's "stern words" had motivated them so much they wanted to go out and play that day.

Mitchell is not an ARU employee, but there is a view that Australia's Super 14 coaches should be dedicated to the Wallabies as they develop players for the national team.

The Wallabies squad included six players -- James O'Connor, Ryan Cross, Matt Giteau, Richard Brown, David Pocock and Drew Mitchell -- who Mitchell coached at the Force this year.

On the day Mitchell handed out the jerseys, the Force also announced that Wallabies assistant coach Richard Graham would work with the Perth-based team in next year's Super 14 series.

Mitchell and the Force are forging closer ties with South African rugby, but Ella said it was inappropriate for Mitchell to be supporting the Springboks before a Test against the Wallabies, particularly in Perth.

"I was surprised to hear John Mitchell had presented the Springboks jerseys," Ella said.

"He has a responsibility to develop Australian rugby and his total allegiance should be with the Wallabies."

While Mitchell's actions raise the question of divided loyalties, the Force supported his involvement with the Springboks.

Force chief executive Vern Reid said Rugby WA gave Mitchell permission to hand out the Springbok jerseys on the proviso he received the approval of Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who was once Mitchell's assistant coach at the All Blacks.

"My view is that it is an honour to present an international team's jumper," Reid said.

"John asked me for permission. I said it was fine as long as he asked Robbie Deans and he was happy.

"No team wins a game because of a two-minute speech a day before a Test.

"It's a brick in the wall, but it doesn't turn victory into losing and a loss into victory."

Deans confirmed yesterday he was made aware of Mitchell presenting the Springbok jerseys. The jersey presentation concept was introduced to Australian rugby by World Cup-winning coach Rod Macqueen in 1999 to provide a source of motivation for the Wallabies.

The innovative Macqueen never did anything unless he thought it would give the Wallabies a competitive edge.

There was a reason behind everything the Wallabies did under Macqueen, who believed that the smallest things added up.

But former Wallabies captains Simon Poidevin and Andrew Slack supported Mitchell's right to hand out the jerseys.

"I don't see a problem with that," said Poidevin, who is co-president of the Classic Wallabies.

"It's not as though John Mitchell is part of the Wallabies coaching staff.

"I think the Springboks should do whatever they want to do. The Springboks have recognised what John Mitchell has done for the game. I don't think they need anyone to motivate them."

Slack said the importance of the jersey presentation was overrated.

"They could ask Charles Manson to hand out the jerseys and it wouldn't offend my sensibilities," Slack said.

"It would not make me think that John Mitchell was not committed to the Australian side."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

vCash
    Insinuating Mitchell had any contribution to the Wallabies loss is ridiculous!

Veteran
    vCash
    to begin with... Australia lost the test themselves with a little help from the boks. Im pretty sure the wallabies werent feeling low because mitchell didnt say good luck to them...

vCash
    If Mitchell's words were good enough to make the Wallabies play like schoolboys for 40 minutes and almost make it up to club level by the end of the game, while he was in a different room on the other side of the city.......watch out opposition teams, we've finally got the voodoo sorted and the Force will go thru 2010 undefeated!

Utter crap!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast