Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi(paid) ref secures Australia's first win of the Tri Nations

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Will this do?
    Can you add the caption, by JDV "I can't believe how small the Boks look now!!!....."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

I should put a blank one up, then people can insert their own comment.

vCash
    Popping of a front row player should end up with the other front row being penalised. I couldn't work out what was happening there.

When Genia took off from the free kick he was tackled by players standing on their goal line (pretty much). Regardless of the 10M law they only have to retire to that line in this instance.

I'd have to watch it again to see if they were standing on their goal line when they made the tackle. If they weren't it was an oversight by Barnesy.

Good game for you wallaby fans, with such a young team only good things can come.

I can see a bit of aussie domination coming when this thing really gets rolling.
    In regards to the comments about the scrum, are you trying to say that if a player is popped out of the scrum then the other team should be penalised?

If thats what you are saying then i strongly disagree, i was a prop in my earlier years before moving to number 8, and i gotta say that if a player is popped out its more often then not due to there bad technique or timing. In the case on Saturday, Juan Smith wasnt popped out straight away(which would indicate bad timing) but he was popped out after a strong aussie push, meaning his technique couldnt cope with Robinson. In reality neither team should be penalised unless it happens repetitively.

Ref Will Genias try/no try, the players were not back 10m, they were in the process of retiring but they tackled him around the 8m mark(about 2m short of the try line), so yes they were off-side at the time.

Last edited by TOCC; 06-09-09 at 18:04.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    In regards to the comments about the scrum, are you trying to say that if a player is popped out of the scrum then the other team should be penalised?

If thats what you are saying then i strongly agree, i was a prop in my earlier years before moving to number 8, and i gotta say that if a player is popped out its more often then not due to there bad technique or timing. In the case on Saturday, Juan Smith wasnt popped out straight away(which would indicate bad timing) but he was popped out after a strong aussie push, meaning his technique couldnt cope with Robinson. In reality neither team should be penalised unless it happens repetitively.

Ref Will Genias try/no try, the players were not back 10m, they were in the process of retiring but they tackled him around the 8m mark(about 2m short of the try line), so yes they were off-side at the time.
    I thought the aussie front rowers were trying to lift/force the boks front row out of the scrum.

I call it popping and it's illegal. I think were on the same page here. There's a difference between pushing and pushing up (popping). Should be able to put a spirit level on the props spines to make sure there level at all times.

I didn't see the replay but I'll take what you said as correct in relation to Genia and his near miss.

vCash
    I thought the aussie front rowers were trying to lift/force the boks front row out of the scrum.

I call it popping and it's illegal. I think were on the same page here. There's a difference between pushing and pushing up (popping). Should be able to put a spirit level on the props spines to make sure there level at all times.

I didn't see the replay but I'll take what you said as correct in relation to Genia and his near miss.
    wow its amazing how much a brain fart can alter a whole statement... I actually put 'agree' instead of 'disagree' in my last statement. I mean that i disagree with what you said.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

In regards to that, i do realise that forcing a player up is illegal, in the case on the weekend however you had Juan Smith going backwards, Ben Robinson was pushing him backwards and bakkies botha was pushing forward, its only inevitable that he was going to pop out. When a player starts getting pushed backwards its only natural that they either go up or down.

What i thought we had on the weekend was Juan Smith failing to deal with Robinson, sure it might not have been 100% legal, but no scrum is.

Last edited by TOCC; 06-09-09 at 18:13.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Made a nice little financial gain on that game Very happy. Good work Wallabies.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Jeez, my last post was a little shoddy (much like the Bok perfomance) from a grammer/typo perspective (it was the Father's Day early beers)..apologies to the grammer Nazis out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    We'll lure you to the gold side eventually mate
    You'd probably be pleased to know, Burgs, that at Subiaco last week I was sufficiently mummified in Wallaby colours..Wallaby hat, Wallaby scarf, Wallaby guernsey, Wallaby rain jacket..purely for selfish reasons ofcourse, and what good that did me.

In relation to popping up in the scrums, the first instance of this happening, I think you can clearly see that the Wallaby prop..Robinson..drives upward rather than forward which is definitey illegal. Hard to pick it with the rest, but definitely sure the first was upward. To be honest, as a scrummie, I would be proud of my prop seeing that and would encourage more of it until penalised..good way to get the opposing prop uncomfortable and more importantly, submissive.

vCash

I should put a blank one up, then people can insert their own comment.
    gee and I thought the character was the love child of Mortlock and Moore... I didn't realise it was JOC... give him some hair...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    In relation to popping up in the scrums, the first instance of this happening, I think you can clearly see that the Wallaby prop..Robinson..drives upward rather than forward which is definitey illegal. Hard to pick it with the rest, but definitely sure the first was upward. To be honest, as a scrummie, I would be proud of my prop seeing that and would encourage more of it until penalised..good way to get the opposing prop uncomfortable and more importantly, submissive.
    Isn't setting the scrum lower than the opposition exactly what Andy Sheridan did to destroy the Aussie scrum in 2005? You have to ask- why doesn't John Smit just set lower?

I always assumed that the player that pops is the player under pressure. They have a choice: get driven backwards or pop.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Certainly in my "praise" of the popping isn't in the legality of it, it is in the aknowledgement that a strong frontrow can avoid it and a dominant frontrow will create it, that is the Wallaby frontrow was dominant when usually it is Moore having to stand up.
    And point of order TOCC:
    #3 John Smit
    #7 Juan Smith

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nice work KQ
    Was actually writing for WRF but you posted in betwean and I figured it still applied anyway

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Certainly in my "praise" of the popping isn't in the legality of it, it is in the aknowledgement that a strong frontrow can avoid it and a dominant frontrow will create it, that is the Wallaby frontrow was dominant when usually it is Moore having to stand up.
    And point of order TOCC:
    #3 John Smit
    #7 Juan Smith
    its true i know zilch about south african rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Jeez, my last post was a little shoddy (much like the Bok perfomance) from a grammer/typo perspective (it was the Father's Day early beers)..apologies to the grammer Nazis out there.
    You spelt 'grammar' wrong.

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Isn't setting the scrum lower than the opposition exactly what Andy Sheridan did to destroy the Aussie scrum in 2005? You have to ask- why doesn't John Smit just set lower?

I always assumed that the player that pops is the player under pressure. They have a choice: get driven backwards or pop.
    The Springboks set quite a high scrum which makes them going up a lot more likely. The All Blacks set a much lower scrum, which makes collapses more likely. The Japies like to talk themselves up as the man-mountain forward pack, but while their lineout is the world's best, their scrum is the weakest in the tri-nations.

Which, old props assure me, is all about technique and bugger all about body weight.

Last edited by rick boyd; 07-09-09 at 09:11. Reason: typo

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rick boyd View Post
    You spelt 'grammar' wrong.
    Hey Rick, you're the wordsmith amongst us, I have always wondered if there was a word/name for such a thing? That is spelling grammar as grammer or wrong as rong for example. Or "My spelling is atrocius."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Hey Rick, you're the wordsmith amongst us, I have always wondered if there was a word/name for such a thing? That is spelling grammar as grammer or wrong as rong for example. Or "My spelling is atrocius."
    "illiterate" or "all back" - either one works

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast