Thread: COTTESLOE, PALMYRA READY FOR GRAND FINAL SHOWDOWN

vCash

COTTESLOE, PALMYRA READY FOR GRAND FINAL SHOWDOWN

Minor premiers Palmyra meet runners-up Cottesloe in the Grand Final at Members Equity stadium on Sunday, in the conclusion to an unusual season of club rugby competition, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

Neither team made the finals of the 2008 season and all those who did have fallen by the wayside, some in spectacular fashion.

Perennial finalists Nedlands bowed out in last weekend’s preliminary final after an awful early season and a dazzling second half to their year, while last year’s grand finalists, Wanneroo, lost their way in the minor semi-final.

Outgoing premiers Kalamunda lost core senior forwards and suffered a crisis of faith, improving towards the end of the year but still finishing sixth; while 2008 finalists and 2007 premiers, Perth-Bayswater, lost players, confidence and form to finish seventh.

Associates looked impressive during the first half of the year to lead the competition in its early stages but fell away to finish fifth while 2008 hopefuls Rockingham failed to follow through on their improved showing and lapsed back to eighth place this season.

University never realised their potential to close their season at ninth while a young Wests-Subiaco team did their rebuilding the hard way to win the wooden spoon, a far cry from their four consecutive premierships 2003-2006.

And so it is the season’s two surprise packages, Palmyra and Cottesloe, still standing for the final showdown.

A healthy recruiting program turned Palmyra’s fortunes around this year, exploding up the rankings from the 2008 wooden spoon to lead the competition for the second half of the season. But there is more to their success than new players – under coach Dave Ball the team has gelled with unusual speed into the most exciting attacking unit in the competition.

Despite a few wobbles in the closing stages, Palmyra shredded Nedlands in the major semi-final 43-10, belying the finals traditions of tight, kicking rugby and a windy, rainy Lark Hill venue with an awesome display of running rugby.

Expert kicker and exciting ball runner Quintyn Austin at flyhalf commands a back line spoilt for choice with centres Malo Lauti, Kone Feaunati and Tajhon Mailata and veteran wing Johnny Vasukilakau. Paly’s forwards were under-rated during the season but they are no slouches, featuring evergreen lock Kiti Fuluna and flanker Jerry Viriki, and dynamic number eight Siosefo Manu.

If Palmyra’s forwards can over-run Cottesloe’s pack as they did Nedlands, and supply enough ball to the big guns in the back line – it is doubtful that any defence in the WA competition could stop the scoreboard attendants earning their money for the day.

There can be no doubt the minor premiers go into the grand final as favourites to add the major premiership to their trophy cabinet.

Ian Fowler’s Cottesloe were the quiet achievers of the 2009 season, methodically compiling a solid record of non-nonsense wins after a slow start to their year. Based on comprehensive forward power and with a steady back line steered by ace goal kicker Dave Cloete, the Seagulls are the ideal traditional finals team. If this game relies on patient composure and a tactical game to deliver the final reward in the high pressure cauldron of grand final rugby, Cottesloe are the team for the job. They will need a stranglehold on possession and will be hoping Palmyra come to the party by imploding from frustration – but the possibilities are clearly there.

With athletic lock Matt Battishall, wily Irish flanker Karl Leary and powerful number eight Matt Aitken spearheading a strong forward pack, Cottesloe have the machinery to do the business. Cloete is the danger man in the back line with both boot and ball in hand, and he has quickly formed an effective combination with late arrival Mark Swanepoel at halfback. At inside centre Ryan Westaway is a seasoned finals campaigner, and fullback Sam Parker and wing Todd Edwards are quality performers.

Cottesloe have the wood on Palmyra in their two competition games this season. The Seagulls won 17-15 in round five with a late penalty kick, and in round 14 it was one way traffic as Cottesloe ran over Palmyra 33-10.

Cottesloe looked polished in their 39-8 demolition of Wanneroo in the minor semi-final, Cloete and Swanepoel forging an electric combination to unleash a scoring spree in a game that was virtually over by half time. But the Seagulls were forced to come from behind to grind out a gritty 18-13 win over Nedlands in the preliminary final.

However, as Western Force coach John Mitchell is fond of saying, that’s ancient history when the whistle blows for the kick off. The only thing that is certain is that the 2009 Grand Final is a game of exciting potential and 80 minutes of high intensity rugby will answer all questions.

by Rick Boyd

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,56415.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    & no mention of Brown Rick,you think he wont have a real impact on the game?
    I think he will play for dinkum this game

vCash
    Get down and watch the All Blacks.....I mean Kala 3rds, on Saturday

GRAB YOUR MATE!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    you would have to be red hot favourites

vCash
    It will be a battle of the biggest forward pack in world rugby, Kala, versus the fittest team in 3rd's Soaks.

GRAB YOUR MATE!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KalaFan View Post
    Get down and watch the All Blacks.....I mean Kala 3rds, on Saturday
    If y'all are lucky you might catch a glimpse of my outstanding lats flaring in the sunlight from the beach.

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN