Thread: Matt Giteau, Will Genia combo a massive threat

vCash

Thumbs up Matt Giteau, Will Genia combo a massive threat

THEY have played just one full game together but Matt Giteau and Will Genia have emerged as a potentially lethal scrumbase combination for the Wallabies in their showdown with the All Blacks in Wellington tomorrow.

The halves clicked from the opening whistle when they teamed up in the Aussies' 21-6 win over South Africa a fortnight ago with Genia producing a man-of-the- match performance in his starting Test debut.

The pair lifted each other and the rookie No.9 Genia said a lot of the credit for his smooth transition into the Test side came down to playing alongside the attacking ace Giteau.

"He is great - when we are on the field all I have to do is listen to what he calls and it's so easy for me to fit into the team structure,'' Genia said. "In terms of off the field he gives me little clues to look out for because he has played at halfback before.

"As a No.9 and 10 you have to work well together, and he has also been really good in terms of supporting me.''

Genia said the presence of Berrick Barnes, who is likely to switch between inside-centre and five-eighth tomorrow, had also had a big influence.

"I think Barnsey makes it a lot easier for the both of us too. There is just so much talk coming in from the outside,'' he said.

And while he is one of the most electrifying players in international rugby, Giteau said Genia had helped make his job at five-eighth a lot easier.

"Will has got good service, consistently he is finding the mark, he is taking the right options, he is quite creative around the ruck,'' Giteau said.

He said against the Springboks in Brisbane, Genia was able to attract players and put back-rower Rocky Elsom into a hole.

"I think for me it creates a little bit more space, obviously his kicking game was very good in Brisbane as well. It takes a lot of pressure off the ballplayer.''

Genia displayed a real confidence in his effort against the Springboks as evidenced by his willingness to take a quick tap which almost resulted in him scoring under the posts.

"I think it is probably just the way I play. You never really want to change too much depending on sides you get picked in,'' Genia said. "It's more just wanting to back yourself.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225776080948

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I agree, Genia has the accuracy and width of pass to be able to put Gits outside a couple of defenders to where he's most comfortable.

The Ashley-Cooper try last week came from exactly that, Gits runnig in support, wide in the midfield, every man and his dog was looking to smash him because he was in the second line. The ball misses him completely and we're through the line before they even know where the ball's gone.

More of that please Mr Deans!

C'mon the

vCash
    lots more please

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Wouldn’t that be a outstanding 12 position running in the second line being a major threat and drawing players off of the defensive line!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Wouldn’t that be a outstanding 12 position running in the second line being a major threat and drawing players off of the defensive line!
    What a novel idea!

C'mon the

vCash

Smile

Aaaarrrre a very cunning plan...A plan so cunning it has a gold tooth….

“the Kafer initiative…”

Last edited by mudskipper; 18-09-09 at 18:58.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How much more of a massive threat would it be if he was paired full time with his previous S14 Flyhalf, allowing the worlds best Inside Centre to go back where he belongs...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    get back jo jo

vCash
    Unfortunately as good as the 9/10 combination needs to be they can't do squat without a good forward pack leading them up the field.

Its an old cliche that I heard a thousand times growing up the the WRF household but its also true.

You all know it, I don't need to repeat it.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    How much more of a massive threat would it be if he was paired full time with his previous S14 Flyhalf, allowing the worlds best Inside Centre to go back where he belongs...
    I've even forgotten how good a 12 Giteau was. The last few games as inside centre Berry has had have been sensational.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.