Thread: Stars aligned to eclipse All Blacks

vCash

Stars aligned to eclipse All Blacks

AFTER the 1984 Bledisloe Cup in Australia, coach Alan Jones said the Wallabies must get over their mental block if we were ever going to defeat the All Blacks.

Of course my match-winning drop goal didn't quite eventuate as I wanted it to when it sailed wide of the left upright in the last minutes of play, giving the All Blacks the series 2-1. Very much like recent Wallabies performances, we let ourselves down.

Since the Wallabies sent New Zealand packing after their magnificent World Cup semi-final win in Sydney in 2003, they have only managed three victories against the All Blacks in 13 matches, which simply doesn't make sense.

Jones proved he could buck the system a couple of years later when the Wallabies regained the Bledisloe Cup in New Zealand in 1986 and Bob Dwyer did the same many years later as did Rod Macqueen.

But since 2001, when Macqueen and inspirational captain John Eales retired from the game, the Wallabies have struggled to front up against the mighty All Blacks.

I am not saying our rugby psyche accepts losing to New Zealand, but there is something disturbingly wrong when you look at the Wallabies' past four matches against our arch enemy from across the Tasman.

The Wallabies led at half-time against the All Blacks in Brisbane and Hong Kong in 2008 and this season in Auckland and Sydney where they have done much of the same thing - rolling over instead of putting them to the sword.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Wallabies should have won both of their matches this year against a floundering All Black side and today we should be playing for the Tri-Nations title rather than the wooden spoon.

In Sydney almost a month ago the Wallabies lost to the All Blacks 19-18 in the 79th minute. It was another demoralising loss, but not enough to force coach Robbie Deans to make positional changes.

A week later in Perth the Wallabies were out of their depth against a vibrant Springbok side, losing 32-25. Change had to come and the Wallabies' spirit has lifted with a great win over the world champions in Brisbane 21-6.

Let's face it, this All Black side is a poor shadow of the New Zealand teams of the early to mid-2000s. It lacks punch around the park and yet the Wallabies are still struggling. What does that say about the quality of Australian rugby?

I know what rugby means to New Zealanders and how much passionate support they have but surely the Wallabies can put this to the back of their minds and remain focused for 80 minutes.

When Jones talked about Australia's mental block against New Zealand way back in 1984, it wasn't meant to last this long.

It was a relevant line meant to inspire players of my vintage and for the next decade and beyond. It worked wonderfully until 2001 when the Wallabies again fell under the spell of the All Blacks.

If a regular reader of this column you will be getting tired of my pleas to the Wallabies to become mentally tougher. But the difference between winning and losing, being a good team or a great team, simply comes down to mental toughness.

Australia's last four losses to New Zealand are because they lack mental toughness, which has nothing to do with skills and fitness levels.

You would think that after leading the All Blacks at half-time in three consecutive Test matches and losing all three - knowing just how competitive and proud the All Blacks are, having played against them a thousand times - we would have been prepared for a second-half onslaught.

I have no doubt the Wallabies would have been ready in Brisbane, Hong Kong, Auckland and especially in Sydney given that their coach is a Kiwi, but the defeatist attitude again prevailed and so did our high hopes.

The Wallabies are clever at getting into winning positions but dumb at being able to finish off.

However, their clinical victory over the Springboks has helped them regain their swagger and they should approach today's game as favourites.

They have a better scrum and lineout, stability in key backline positions and more belief in themselves than the All Blacks.

Does this guarantee Australia will lift its win-loss ration against New Zealand? Even I am not that stupid. But for the first time in years, the stars look to have aligned themselves in Australia's favour, now all they have to do is remain mentally switched on.

Sounds easy from the comfort of our lounge rooms but that's why these guys get the big bucks.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015702,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    now all they have to do is remain mentally switched on... shame about that bit ...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.