Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tooheys New Shute Shield: Preliminary Finals Preview

vCash

Tooheys New Shute Shield: Preliminary Finals Preview

Tooheys New Shute Shield: Preliminary Finals Preview
    September 18, 2009 - 3:18pm
    Story by: NSWRU

The 2009 Grand Finalists will be decided with the Tooheys New Shute Shield Preliminary Finals this weekend.

The ABC TV Game of the Day on Saturday sees minor premiers Sydney University take on Eastwood at Concord Oval, while Randwick meet Gordon on Sunday at Woollahra Oval.

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY (1st) V EASTWOOD (5th)
    Saturday 19 September 2009
    Concord Oval
    Kick-off: 3:10pm (ABC TV Game of the Day)

The memories of a fortnight ago will be hard to erase when Sydney University face Eastwood in the first Preliminary Final at Concord Oval in the ABC TV Game of the Day.

The minor premiers finished the regular season in style when they accounted for the Woodies 81-7 at University Oval in a win which reasserted their premiership favouritism. For many pundits it also spelled the end of Eastwood’s chances after slumping to fifth after three straight losses to the top three teams on the table.

However last weekend Eastwood showed their heart with a come-from-behind victory over Manly which has instilled a new feeling of confidence within the squad.

The outcome of the match two weeks ago may be felt wider than on the scoreboard with both sides suffering injuries which are still having an effect. Nathan Trist, one of the Students best all year, suffered a season-ending injury in the match which has forced Jacob Taylor to move to fullback. However it does create an opportunity for Australian Sevens, Australian U20 and Brumbies flyer Peter Betham to move into the starting XV.

Eastwood also lost Matt Dunning, Chris O’Young, Damien Fitzpatrick and Ray Isara to injury during the 74-point loss which has had repercussions down the line. While Dunning and Fitzpatrick came through last weekend’s victory over Manly at Forshaw Rugby Park, O’Young has not been named for Saturday’s Preliminary Final.

Isara’s injury forced a reshuffle of the backline last week, however new wing Cam Mitchell took the opportunity with both hands scoring two tries in the Woods 11-point win.

However if recent form counts for anything, Eastwood’s last start victory was just their first in almost a month, while the Students are running on the back of a 14-game winning streak, their last loss coming four months ago against Gordon.

The well-drilled Uni outfit will go in as favourites, and all eyes will be on the big names from both sides. Phil Waugh, Daniel Halangahu, Tom Carter, Dave Dennis, Ben McCalman and Mitch Inman headline the Uni outfit, while Eastwood are also well-represented by Super 14 stars through Dunning, Fitzpatrick, Kieran Longbottom and Ben Hand, plus a host of Academy representatives.

Teams
    Sydney University: 1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 2. Ben Roberts, 3. Pat Ryan; 4. Ben McCalman, 5. Dave Dennis; 6. Pat McCutcheon, 7. Phil Waugh, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Scott Stumbles, 10. Daniel Halangahu; 11. Peter Betham, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Nick Edwards; 15. Jacob Taylor.

Eastwood: 1. Kieran Longbottom, 2. Damien Fitzpatrick, 3. Matt Dunning; 4. Ben Hand, 5. Tom Alexander; 6. Gareth Palamo, 7. Hugh Perrett [c], Lachlan McCaffrey; 9. Mick Snowden, 10. James Foote; 11. Cam Mitchell, 12. Sione Piukala, 13. Tim Bennetts, 14. John Grant; 15. Rowan Kellam.
    Referee: Steve Walsh

RANDWICK (2nd) V GORDON (3rd)
    Sunday 20 September 2009
    Woollahra Oval
    Kick-off: 3:00pm

Randwick enjoyed the first week of the Finals Series with their feet up but they will need to be on their game to overcome an in-form Gordon side when they meet in the second Preliminary Final at Woollahra Oval.

These two sides met in the corresponding match last year with Randwick coming from behind in the second half to take victory in a tough match and earn a place in the Grand Final. That result, along with two victories over the Highlanders this year will fill the 2008 runners-up with confidence going into this match.

However Gordon’s performance last weekend and in the final rounds positions them as a dark horse for the 2009 Tooheys New Shute Shield. The Highlanders won three out of their last four matches before last week’s Elimination Semi-Final when they ground out a 17-point victory over Warringah at Pittwater Rugby Park.

Gordon’s sudden death win last weekend was built on the back of a great performance at the breakdown in the first half, followed by solid kicking and great opportunistic play in the final forty minutes. On almost every occasion Warringah ventured into the Gordon 22, the Highlanders were able to turn over the ball with Paulie Tuala, Ed Gower and Craig Thomas performing strongly. Then at the back end of the game two intercepts and one kick and chase try from inside their own half proved the Highlanders have the opportunistic play required to win tough games.

Randwick possess one of the strongest line-ups in the competition, which is reinforced by the fact Adam Freier, Josh Valentine and Nick Cummins have been named on the bench. That depth at the end of the match could prove crucial for a side which also includes Wallabies Sekope Kepu and Stephen Hoiles along with Super 14 squad members Henry Vanderglas, Patrick Phibbs and Francis Fainifo.

While Gordon are much shorter on players with Super 14 experience, one of their most exciting young players lived up to his potential last weekend. Dane Haylett-Petty has this year represented the Western Force, Australian Sevens and Australian Under 20s, and if he has the same impact this week as he did against Warringah, he could find himself in a Tooheys New Shute Shield Grand Final as well.

Teams
    Randwick: 1. Sekope Kepu, 2. Atonio Halangahu [c], 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Tim Maxwell, 5. Steve Brennan; 6. Henry Vanderglas, 7. Seilala Lam, 8. Stephen Hoiles; 9. Patrick Phibbs, 10. Tim Walsh; 11. Ratu Nasiganiyavi, 12. Shaun Foley, 13. Bernie Orbell, 14. Francis Fainifo; 15. Marshall Milroy.

Gordon: 1.Ofa Fainga’anuku, 2. Tobias Gukibau, 3. Marty Plokstys; 4. Nifo Nifo, 5. Ed Gower [c]; 6. Paulie Tuala, 7. Craig Thomas, 8. Viliame Ratu; 9. Vinnie Byrne, 10. Josh Kiel; 11. Terry Preston, 12. Dave Harvey, 13. Mark Preston, 14. Matt McDougall; 15. Dane Haylett-Petty.
    Referee: Stuart Dickinson

For the full story...http://www.rugby.com.au/news/tooheys.../section/21893

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    very hot in Sydney today... it will be a huge factor in this result...

UNI by as many as they want...

Randwick win Sunday to play UNI in the final at SFS...

vCash
    Eastwood got done 37-13. Lachlan McCaffrey definately got try of the match. He was a mile off side, got the intercept and over the try line in the last minute. They didn't play terribly but Uni just kept turning it over and finding the space. Good game to watch, better than the Wallabies game apparently was.
    Force boys (future & present) put on a good display. Mitch Inman, Ben McCalman both got tries. Dunning came very close to getting a try. CO'Y was a late inclusion and played a pearler of a game (with a buggered knee), Longbottom (with a buggered ankle) was everywhere too. The commentary team loved him!

Last edited by laura; 19-09-09 at 21:22.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Eastwood: 1. Kieran Longbottom, 2. Damien Fitzpatrick, 3. Matt Dunning
    Handy, how'd they go Laura or anyone else who watched?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    In the scrums they went quite well. Uni looked like they were bringing it down a few times but Eastwood kept it up. I'm a bit bias, but I'd say they were the better front row of the two. Whether that comes down to having the Super 14 experienced players or just that they played a better game, I'm not quite sure, I can't say I payed too much attention to the intricate details of the scrums to really be able to compare the performance of the two head-to-head.

Like I said before, the commentary loved Longbottom. He had a solid game, came over about 65/70 minute mark, his ankle seemed like it wasn't quite right after being injured a few weeks ago. Good defence though and good passes under pressure. A few time he'd get the ball and get tackled but get the ball out before the ruck formed. Stepped in as first reciever a few times too. Should definately be up for a more consistent place in the 22, if not 15. Only thing is Pek would probably get picked as starting prop.

Fitzpatrick had a solid game too. His try came after a fairly decent run, for a hooker. 1 or 2 skewed line outs but commentary were saying wind was a bit of factor, and unfortunately for Eastwood it was blowing in the wrong direction. He came close to another try and when they were in Uni's 22, he was always in the action.

Dunning played a pretty solid game too. The combination with Longbottom is pretty solid and should hopefully translate well to the Force. A few times he wasn't really in the heart of the action but he was out in defence and did a good job of it. His was very close to getting the try, but he got done for obstruction (from memory). Good show of character on his part, after the match he was giving Jerry Yanuyanutawa (Uni's prop) some pointers and explaining a few things to him.

Force front row is looking good for 2010!! Shute Shield has done the world of good to Longbottom's game and hopefully RWA have been watching because his chances of starting are looking much better!! Our entire forward pack is looking like it will be set.

CO'Y had a great game for Uni too. His knee was heavily taped and he was a late inclusion, because of his injury 2 weeks ago. Our scrummie situation is looking the goods, with his and Turner's game last week. Sheehan played last week too but JT definately had the better game.

Our other recruits, McCalman & Inman, both had good games. Of the two, Inman probably had a better game. McCalman's a good lock though, based on today's performance and compared to Hocko's Soaks performances I'd probably rate McCalman ahead of Hocko. He'll learn a lot from Sharpie and hopefully be set to step up in the post-Sharpie days. Inman, can't say I really noticed him that much but not because of a poor performance, I was mainly watching to see how the 2009 Force boys were going.

Sending all the boys over to play in the Shute Shield, while it was at the expense of WA rugby, it has done so much for their game. IMHO I think its one of the best decisions RWA has made in terms of development of Force players, its just a shame that WA rugby missed out and couldn't benefit from having the players stay here. The Force players are playing with other teams, forming different combinations, learning different plays and playing against each other. In some situation I think thats the biggest benefit ie. Justin Turner playing against Brett Sheehan in a competitive game (as opposed to training games) will be much more beneficial than simply competing against him for a starting spot every week. At first I was completely against Force players being sent over there to play but its fantastic to watch and definately puts the Force in a good position for next season.

Last edited by laura; 19-09-09 at 21:26.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Fitzpatrick is signed to the Tahs Laura, sorry, I may have led you astray.
    My interest is in encouraging him to follow his mate's (Ben Whitaker who you are thinking of) lead in heading West be playing with two of our future principle props.
    TPN has the role locked down at NSW for several years, be better off competing from the bench for a starting role with Ben over here.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Fitzpatrick is pretty solid and should hopefully translate well to the Force.
    Have I missed something? I thought that Fitzpatrick had re-signed for the tahs

vCash
    Nah you're right, sorry. I have him confused with Tim Fairbrother..I have no idea why, I just do.

Weren't we trying to sign him at some stage or have I just been a bit wishful and made the association between the Force & Fitzpatrick up?

We should sign him though, the Tahs don't really need another hooker and the combination of those three is fantastic. I think he'd get the start over Whits with performances like this afternoon.

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

RANDWICK BLEDISLOE CUP STARS TO FLY IN FOR SEMI
    Written by John Hanrahan
    Friday, 18 September 2009

Randwick’s formidable Super 14 packed side is expected to be boosted by Wallaby stars Drew Mitchell and Mark Chisholm who will fly back on Sunday morning after the Bledisloe Cup match in Wellington for the clash with Gordon.

Coach Garry Ella was not giving anything away, but conceded: “Drew told me he’d give me a call after the test and let me know what physical state they were in. So I really don’t know whether they’ll be with us or not.”

A full strength Randwick will have virtually a Wallaby bench if they do make themselves available joining Adam Freier and Josh Valentine plus Western Force winger Nick Cummins.

Gordon coach Lachlan Fear is under no illusions about what his side faces in their semi final against Randwick at Woollahra Oval.

“We’re up against a side that is a high intensity, big moment team with outstanding individual players who can kick them along at any time, who can make decisions on the run at any time,” he says.

“Basically, we’re playing the feeder team for the Brumbies Super 14 side. Last week against Warringah it was pretty much the feeder team for the Western Force.

“We don’t have those sort of players but we have a very committed team of 15 footballers, plus our bench, motivated and playing well. What we have to do on the day is to get them to be at their optimum. Our 27-10 win over Warringah last week has given us momentum.”

While he acknowledges Randwick are strong right across the park, he named their 8, 9 and 10 combination (Stephen Hoiles, Patrick Phibbs and Tim Walsh) as the key players they have to close down.

The Gordon side has been boosted by the return of experienced half-back Vinnie Byrne.

Their backline performed well against Warringah last week particularly Dave Harvey, Mark Preston and Western Force winger/fullback Dane Haylett-Petty.

And while that is something that hasn’t escaped Gary Ella, he believes it will be Gordon’s ability to win a lot of turn-over ball that will make the difference.

“There strengths are in their front row and their backrow trio and that’s what got them over the top of Warringah. They won a lot of turnover ball. It’s going to be imperative that win our share of the ball,” he said.

And while fans would love to see Randwick play their traditional open running rugby, Ella says they are quite prepared to grind it out if it makes the difference between a win and a loss.

He then added: “We have two very good wingers in Francis Fainifo and Ratu Nasiganiyavi. And we’ll use them when we can.”

http://www.heavensgame.com/competiti...-for-semi.html

Last edited by laura; 19-09-09 at 21:40.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah we were trying to sign him. Seemed pretty much in the bag too but not dice.

The Force will have a much more aggressive pack next year and it'll be great to see. Even though he plays lock for Sydney Uni, I think McCalman will only play 6 or 8 next year. Probably 6 the way things are going. McCalman, Pocock and Brown would make a pretty bloody dynamic and destructive backrow and Hodgson on the bench would be a super sub. I reckon JM is starting to prefer Sam Wykes as the first choice line-out partner for Sharpie but the competition for that spot will hopefully bring out the best in them both. In the two games I've seen him play recent, Tim Fairbrother is also pretty exciting. Seems to really like mixing it up and getting involved. Great stuff.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    McCalman is a promising young player and a great signing for the Force... Possibly a young Rocky Elsom in that boy... Wll need a season or 2 in S14-15 to take shape...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's a shame there is are a lot of young players with a lot of potential and not nearly as many finished products. We need the expanded Super 14 pretty badly.

vCash
    SHUTE SHIELD Semi Final 2

Randwick 53 v Gordon 32

Randwick were to much today for a brave and unremitting Gordon...

Gordon was courageous even though they didn’t have the depth of talent to bring down the mighty Galloping Greens. Heartland desperation had Gordon holding on managing to score several last minute tries only to concede more points themselves. During this last serge one supporter yelled after a brilliant inside pass which resulted in a Gordon try, “OUR season is only beginning”… But It wasn’t to be.

Nonetheless The Gordon supporters stood and gave their team 3 large Gordon Highlander cries as their defeated players left the Woollahra oval this afternoon.

Randwick boasted a long list of Super 14 and Wallabies old and new… Franky Fianifo’s speed was blistering running in a rocketing first half try with an ankle injury… He has genuine Jets shoes…

Wallabies Coaches Deans and Williams were in attendance... scouting for more answers...

So Randwick now stand a chance to stop UNI next Saturday at the SFS… and aim to stop UNi getting their third title in a row…

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    [B]SHUTE SHIELD Semi Final 2

So Randwick now stand a chance to stop UNI next Saturday at the SFS… and aim to stop UNi getting their third title in a row…
    Actually, Muddy, it would be Uni's fifth in a row.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It's a shame there is are a lot of young players with a lot of potential and not nearly as many finished products. We need the expanded Super 14 pretty badly.
    Or some form of third tier competiton that prepares players for Super 14 or allows players not on Wallaby duties to apply their trade?

Any Ideas......

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Or some form of third tier competiton that prepares players for Super 14 or allows players not on Wallaby duties to apply their trade?

Any Ideas......
    A third tier comp would be great but with an expanded Super 14 and yesterday's performance I think the priorities have changed a bit. We need Australia A back. Mid-week Spring tour matches and the PNC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast