Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brisbane Premier Grade final

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Highly effective Security in the final shot!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    A nice try, but I can only hope that the video is distorted - Cooper is a relatively scrawny piece of work but looked big compared to that lot. Seriously, most of those guys are built like they are straight out of school. And you say that was the winning side that was defending?

So that is the level that gets premier funding and forms the foundation for all professional rugby in Australia? I wonder how they would do up against a Guinness Premiership team....
    champ, your basing all this on a 30sec youtube clip....

i can show you a 30sec clip of any team in which they were made to look silly, international sides as well

vCash
    Guinness Premiership teams are equivalent to our Super franchises anyway - not our club teams.

vCash
    This from today's Courier Mail...

The QRU asked for television footage of the fight on XXXX Hill during the grand final to identify offenders. Some spectators claimed security could have stopped it before it started as it was obvious trouble was brewing. The irony was earlier in the day there were heated scenes at the gates when a leading Brisbane company owner asked why a group of teenagers couldn't get into the ground to support mates in the under-17 grand final (They didn't have enough money). Great work fellas - the businessman is a Reds box holder and he is also the dad of one of Brisbane's best junior footballers, who is being sought by many others.

vCash
    Fall out from that brawl on the hill continues...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...1007-gmyk.html

Official crowd figure was 3952 by the way...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    champ, your basing all this on a 30sec youtube clip....

i can show you a 30sec clip of any team in which they were made to look silly, international sides as well
    True, but are you saying those players are actually all bigger in real life? After all, they are the blokes supposely on the brink of a professional career and available to step into the S14...

Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Guinness Premiership teams are equivalent to our Super franchises anyway - not our club teams.
    I would have said that it was the Heineken cup teams that equated to S14, with GP being the level below i.e our premiership clubs.

vCash
    True, but are you saying those players are actually all bigger in real life? After all, they are the blokes supposely on the brink of a professional career and available to step into the S14...
    They are bigger in real life - I was there.

I would have said that it was the Heineken cup teams that equated to S14, with GP being the level below i.e our premiership clubs.
    They're the same teams.

vCash
    True, but are you saying those players are actually all bigger in real life? After all, they are the blokes supposely on the brink of a professional career and available to step into the S14....
    i know for a fact that some of the backs at souths are on the heavy side of 100kg, not fat either. Im a Souths boy myself, and whilst they arent the equivelant of the Springbok pack, these guys are by no means small. Im 1.9m and 102kg, and i feel monstered when i hang out with these guys.
    I would have said that it was the Heineken cup teams that equated to S14, with GP being the level below i.e our premiership clubs
    well no, club level in australia isnt professional, whereas the GP is... you guys have a third tier of competition that australia doesnt have.

vCash
    Guinness Premiership's not even a third-tier competition - that'd be like calling soccer's English Premier League a third-tier competition to the UEFA Champions League. It's just a completely different competition structure.

vCash
    Guinness Premiership's not even a third-tier competition - that'd be like calling soccer's English Premier League a third-tier competition to the UEFA Champions League. It's just a completely different competition structure.
    well it is effectively the third tier since international rugby and heinekin cup sit above it.
    Some may rate the Guiness Permiship above the Heinekin Cup in terms of importance/glory, but entry to the heinekin cup is based on your performances in the GP.

Call it 2nd tier or call it 3rd tier, i dont really care

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    They are bigger in real life - I was there.
    i know for a fact that some of the backs at souths are on the heavy side of 100kg, not fat either. Im a Souths boy myself, and whilst they arent the equivelant of the Springbok pack, these guys are by no means small. Im 1.9m and 102kg, and i feel monstered when i hang out with these guys.
    Fair enough, but it did seem to be a fair selection of Brothers forwards and backs that Cooper ran past in that video clip and they all looked pretty small relative to him (and he is hardly a big unit). Perhaps all the big blokes were elsewhere and that was the opportunity he spotted.

They're the same teams.
    Yes, they are, often playing on the same weekend. The HC gets the first team, the GP gets the second team and running them against the equivalent teams supporting Super Rugby would be an entirely valid test.

club level in australia isnt professional, whereas the GP is... you guys have a third tier of competition that australia doesnt have.
    That is it exactly - the ARU sticks $2M a year into Premier club rugby as the supporting competition to the professional level. I think a match against the corresponding level from another country would be a very useful indicator of how effective that money is, particularly when the same money would be half the budget of the ARC in its previous incarnation.

vCash
    That is it exactly - the ARU sticks $2M a year into Premier club rugby as the supporting competition to the professional level. I think a match against the corresponding level from another country would be a very useful indicator of how effective that money is, particularly when the same money would be half the budget of the ARC in its previous incarnation.
    ah no, the money isnt invested in the Premier Grade Comp, its spread amongst the clubs at all levels, it is a investment from juniors through to seniors. A single GP side probably spends more on junior development then the ARU.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Ah, no, they get specific funding as well:

"There are a number of old and not-so-old pros being paid reasonable sums to play club rugby. But should they be? Would it not be a better use of limited resources to keep club rugby entirely amateur - if Argentina can manage it, why not Australia? - and save them from the bankruptcies brought on by player bills?

All this the ARU now has to weigh up after receiving a letter this week from the 22 presidents of the NSW and Queensland clubs demanding that the national body not cut its funding of premier rugby after this year.

This is all a bit tricky given the NSWRU not long back signed off on a memorandum of understanding with the ARU acknowledging the competitions review consultation (now under way) "will lead to a decrease in premier rugby funding". No doubt, NSW and Queensland will argue the memorandum was signed in the face of the former ARU administration's push for an Australian Rugby Championship, subsequently axed when John O'Neill returned as chief executive..... At stake is around $1.8million in funding, not a huge amount by the standards of, say, the AFL, but very substantial for the ARU given that O'Neill recently revealed the organisation would soon announce a loss of between $7-8million."
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

""I want to put to an end to this scuttlebut that premier rugby funding was going to be eliminated, it is going to be maintained," O'Neill declared.

"It is in the vicinity of $80,000 per club."

He initiated the funding in 2000 and over that time $20 million has gone to clubs.

O'Neill said there would be conditions attached to the funding. The ARU, NSW and Queensland unions will audit the money to ensure it is used appropriately."
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1111115926649

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2