Thread: Radical Revamp Sends message

vCash

Post Radical Revamp Sends message

All Blacks revamp 'sends a message' to players - McCaw

By some dodgy Shaky Isle scribe

Captain Richie McCaw has backed the radical revamp of the All Blacks, saying it showed there had to be consequences for bad performances.

McCaw leads out a side that features five personnel changes and two positional changes for the last Tri-Nations match of the season against Australia in Wellington on Saturday night.

The All Blacks need to win to avoid the tournament's wooden spoon and a possible drop to No3 in the world rankings.

The selectors reacted strongly to last week's loss against the Springboks, the team's fourth defeat of the season and one which saw the silverware head to South Africa.

McCaw felt the alterations provided some accountability for a disappointing and frustrating year.

"It sends a good message that if the team doesn't perform there are consequences," McCaw said.

"That's what has happened this week. I guess this year with injuries and stuff it has made it a little bit harder to do that but it has got to the point where that has obviously changed.

"A guy like Adam Thomson has been playing outstanding for Otago so deserves his chance there's no doubt about that."

Thomson gets his chance on form at No6 at the expense of Jerome Kaino who misses out on the 22-man squad altogether along with fellow forwards Isaac Ross and Owen Franks. That trio have been at the core of the All Blacks forwards all year.

The young rookies make way for Otago lock Tom Donnelly, who will be on debut 12 days short of his 28th birthday, and Wellington tighthead Neemia Tialata, who returns after being axed following the two earlier losses to the Boks in South Africa.

In the backs Dan Carter and Ma'a Nonu move in one position to their preferred five-eighths roles with Stephen Donald dropped to the bench. Isaia Toeava gets a recall at centre, and Cory Jane takes over for wing Sitiveni Sivivatu in the only change forced through injury.

McCaw says he is happy with the team.

"Definitely there has been a bit of an edge this week. It was said on Monday that not everyone was assured of just rolling on again so I think that's good and the guys that are coming in get a chance and I think that's good."

McCaw said the lapses in concentration that returned to haunt the All Blacks last week were "unacceptable".

"The coaches have pointed that out and we (the players) addressed that. The big thing is to not dwell on last week. You can't let that get on top of you. You take your learnings and move on."Fairfax

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...-players-McCaw

I hear John Mitchell is handing out the All Blacks jerseys...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What a load of bollocks. There is only one message from the All Blacks for this game: "We've lost a series against the Springboks and won one against the Wallabies. This game is irrelevant".

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Whoa, journalist fight behind the sheds!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rick boyd View Post
    won one against the Wallabies. This game is irrelevant".
    Except if the Wallabies win in Wellington to keep the Bledisloe alive, Rick. The AB's already retain the jug. But the series can still be drawn - and the AB's can get the TN wooden spoon. We'll take that - for now.

Last edited by shasta; 18-09-09 at 05:54.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    How much do we need to win by to rise to 2 on IRB rankings?

THAT I'll take!

C'mon the

vCash
    amen to that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    How much do we need to win by to rise to 2 on IRB rankings?
    As much as I enjoy the prospect of being ranked above NZ in the World Rankings, to potentially go to number 2 in the world and go above the team that has so far beaten the Wallabies twice this year by beating them once seems a bit odd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Whoa, journalist fight behind the sheds!!!
    I'd hardly call Rick Boyd a journo

GRAB YOUR MATE!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    As much as I enjoy the prospect of being ranked above NZ in the World Rankings, to potentially go to number 2 in the world and go above the team that has so far beaten the Wallabies twice this year by beating them once seems a bit odd
    Nah, not to me. It has long been the exciting factor of the Tri-Nations that each team HAS a bogey team and each team IS a bogey team. It's really common, particularly in recent series for SA to beat Black, Black to beat Oz and Oz to beat SA. It's the ancilliary ones that decide the whole thing.

The Blackness would admit (actually they did in this article) that they've had a pretty crap year, whereas we've had a reasonable year with a pretty crap tri-nations, if we win this match our tri-nations will sit at 33% exactly where the Blacks are and it's down to bonus points, which we have more of than them.

C'mon the

vCash
    The Blackness would admit (actually they did in this article) that they've had a pretty crap year, whereas we've had a reasonable year with a pretty crap tri-nations, if we win this match our tri-nations will sit at 33% exactly where the Blacks are and it's down to bonus points, which we have more of than them.
    2 wins each and yet they have had a bad year and we have had a good one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    2 wins each and yet they have had a bad year and we have had a good one?
    The year is about more than just the Tri-Nations Jargs

C'mon the

vCash
    The year is about more than just the Tri-Nations Jargs
    Yeah but how does that translate into current world rankings then?