Thread: Salesi Ma'afu commits to the Brumbies, aims for Wallabies spot

vCash

Thumbs up Salesi Ma'afu commits to the Brumbies, aims for Wallabies spot

SALESI Ma'afu has re-signed with the Brumbies for another three years, but they are unlikely to see him at pre-season training for the Super 14 series until after Christmas.

One of seven props named in the Wallabies' 43-man training squad, Ma'afu is almost certain to make the tour of Japan and Europe later this month.

An aggressive and powerful frontrower, Ma'afu has been identified as a player with “limitless' propping potential.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has highlighted the lack of depth at tighthead in Australian rugby, so it would make sense for Ma'afu to go away as a development player at least.

Wallabies 22-man squad members Ben Alexander, Benn Robinson and Pek Cowan will tour, with Al Baxter, Matt Dunning, Sekope Kepu and Ma'afu competing for the remaining two prop spots in the 35-man squad.

Baxter is the most capped prop in Australian rugby, but it appears Deans is looking beyond him.

In the space of two weeks during the Tri-Nations tournament, Baxter went from being the Wallabies' starting tighthead prop to exclusion from 22-man squad altogether.

Baxter's hopes of touring may depend on the fitness of his NSW Waratahs team-mate Kepu, who is in doubt because of an ankle injury sustained in Randwick's loss to Sydney University in the Sydney club grand final last Sunday.

If Kepu is ruled out, it may open the door for either Baxter or Dunning to make the tour.

Much will depend on what happens at the Wallabies' competitive training camp in Sydney, starting on Monday.

But it appears Ma'afu is set to continue his climb up Australian rugby's frontrow ranks.

Ma'afu, 26, has played 29 Super rugby games for the Brumbies since making his debut against the Chiefs in 2007.

He represented Australia A in the pacific Nations Cup in 2007 and 2008 and he was a member of the Barbarians side that defeated the world champion Springboks at Twickenham in 2007.

“I'm really happy to be staying at the Brumbies,” Ma'afu said. “They were the team that originally gave me my opportunity and I'm pleased I can repay the loyalty to them.

“I've got plenty of development left in my game. We made some big improvements under Youngy (Bill Young) this year, but there is still plenty of room to build on that.

“My goals are still to represent the Wallabies and win a Super rugby title. I'd love to do that with the Brumbies and I think it's something we can achieve in the next three years.”

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015652,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "Almost Certain"?

Don't tell me let me guess.....Bret Harris, the Brumbies pet rugby writer!

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

I'm gunna stop checking one day after making that call. But I was right again!

Ma'afu might be good, but when two are being cut of four and he's up against limitless experience and probably the brightest prospect in the country ATM, I'd reckon alomst certain is a stretch.

More accurate would be 'he's a possibility if Kepu is injured and Deans wants true change. Dunning is a better chance since he appears to have reinvented himself after the achilles. A little less weight might be enough to get Deans to take notice.

That being said, none of the four listed as 'alternates' would be wise to sleep at training!

C'mon the

vCash
    Kepu has a big ? around him... Ma'afu has promise but an outsider in 2009... I've not seen enough of Dunning back in Shute shield to know if he's gone any form...

if Deans wants learn more about Australian prospects he'll have to take a fresh prop... I'm not sure Pek has done enough to get a seat on the plane...

vCash
    Well Bret Harris has conceded that and since Pek plays for the Force, Bret Harris admitting it means it's pretty much set in stone!

C'mon the

vCash
    he has enormous potential, but he is so far away from been a test player at the moment