Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: EWF 2010 team???

Champion
    vCash

EWF 2010 team???

Lost track who is still here and who has gone

Whats the run on team for the first match anyone?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Funny you sould mention that BD, I was wondering the same thing yesterday and had a bit of a scratch around.

Came up with this which should cause all sorts of debate...
    Still have only one Hooker though, I reckon that Hendersen or Cowan should have a crack, both would be in the same mould as Smit in stature.
    The other would be Kieran Longbottom learning to try and force his way back into contention now that we have such a great Prop stock.

1 Nic Henderson (VC),
    2 Ben Whittaker,
    3 Tim Fairbrother,
    4 Richard Stanford,
    5 Tom Hockings,
    6 Ben McCalman,
    7 David Pocock (C),
    8 Richard Brown,

9 Chris O'Young,
    10 Andre Pretorius,
    11 Mitchell Inman,
    12 Mark Bartholomeusz,
    13 Ryan Cross,
    14 Dane Haylett-Petty,
    15 Cameron Shepherd (VC),

16 Pek Cowan,
    17 Matt Dunning,
    18 Sam Wykes
    19 Matt Hodgson,
    20 Brett Sheehan,
    21 Sam Harris,
    22 James O'Connor,

Spare parts:

Luke Jones,
    Kieran Longbottom,
    Pat O'Connor, (I think he's still around, anyone? If fully fit then probably #4)
    Haig Sare,
    Mark Swanepoel,
    Josh Tatupu,

Injured:

Nick Cummins,
    Nathan Sharpe,

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Beef O'Connor's moved on hasn't he?

Henderson at Prop's a big call ATM Burgs, I wouldn't have questioned it before the Wallaby season, but Pekko has improved by lightyears this postseason and IMHO would press VERY hard for a start! I'd reckon out of the three likely converts we have He'd be the most valuable with Pekko as a part timer. Kieren should see some writing on the wall with that pack and learn to throw, he's not going to see much game time with the experience that's ahead of him!

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    You deliberately trying to stir us all up Burgsmeister!?!?!?
    4 Wallabies on the bench? (5 if you include Hodgo)

vCash
    Go on WF 2006 show us how it's done

Pat is in the Bay of Plenty I think ... def New Zealand

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I thought Pat is playing for Northland- heard he might come back if he can get injuries under controll. I happen to think that Sharpie and Cummins will be back and racing by the time the Super 14 rolls around but if they aren't:

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Ben Whittaker
    3. Tim Fairbrother
    4. Tom Hockings
    5. Sam Wykes
    6. Ben McCalman
    7. David Pocock
    8. Richard Brown

9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Andre Pretorius
    11. Cameron Shepherd
    12. Josh Tatapu
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Dane HP
    15. James O'Connor

16. Nic Henderson
    17. Matt Dunning
    18. Richard Stanford
    19. Matt Hodgson
    20. Justin Turner
    21. Sam Harris
    22. Mark Bartholomeusz

I put two props on the bench because I figure either Dunning or Cowan could slot into hooker. Without Sharpie we don't have a whole lot of experience in the pack but damn is there a lot of potential. If they play that line up we've got 4 proven jumpers and a hell of a lot of mobility and aggression in the forwards. Sheer size is a factor though. I also prefer Sheehan behind a pack like ours. He is probably the most combative (if a little too much so at times) scrum half in Australian rugby and he could best make use of the kind of ball we should be getting from the forwards. I figure they'll play Mortlock in that first game (if he still has both his legs) so moved JOC back to 15.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Still can’t believe it is possible to have the Force's best player from last year sitting on the bench, the mind boggles.

Don’t you think they will blood Ben McCalman off of the bench, he is supposed to be really good but Super 14 is another step up from what he was playing especially in the forwards!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Still can’t believe it is possible to have the Force's best player from last year sitting on the bench, the mind boggles.

Don’t you think they will blood Ben McCalman off of the bench, he is supposed to be really good but Super 14 is another step up from what he was playing especially in the forwards!
    Yeah I know. I suppose on a form basis he could win his spot back from Richard Brown. They are similar players and I don't know if we can really afford to have three of them if we don't have a bigger guy like Sharpie. Plus having a freshed and ready ball pilferer on the bench is always handy when you want to try and turn a game.

I have a feeling Mitch will start McCalman if he is fit and fighting. We need the terrier types to rein in Matt Giteau and McCalman seems a good man for the job.

vCash
    McCalman has height over Hodgeo, if Sharpie's down Mitch might just go for a taller option to shore up the lineout.....If that happens, we might see Browny on the bench and Hodgeo playing #8, he's played both sides of the position, surely he's at least trained it!

C'mon the

vCash
    But why put JO'C at 15? He was great at 12 for us last year and has looked dodgy for the Wallabies at 15 (albeit slightly different levels).

At the moment I'd say 12 is the best place for JO'C - he can use his speed in attack and he's not a bad tackler. At 15 you expose two of his weaknesses - kicking and catching high balls.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    But why put JO'C at 15? He was great at 12 for us last year and has looked dodgy for the Wallabies at 15 (albeit slightly different levels).

At the moment I'd say 12 is the best place for JO'C - he can use his speed in attack and he's not a bad tackler. At 15 you expose two of his weaknesses - kicking and catching high balls.
    Ohh I completely agree but like I said chances are he will go up against Mortlock and we need someone who can contain him. I don't think JO'Cs particularly terrible at kicking or high balls- at least he wasn't in the Super 14 this year when he mostly played 15 in defense. You can't be too hard on him at S14 level on the basis of his performance at Test level.

Champion
    vCash
    Gee u have me thinking big time James that team looks abit shakey without Sharpie i recon JM will go with the Wallaies at the back and let these new guys earn their stripes if anu Stanard will be there he was good at the end of last season I thought. We have the front row sorted thats a good start I think Sheps will go back to 15 if fit JOC wants to play 12 and that was part of his signing deal to learn of Andre?? time will tell
    Sam Harris never heard of him????

vCash
    Actually, James, I hadn't thought about that. Mortlock comparatively fresh might be tough for JO'C, but does Tapatu offer enough in attack?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Actually, James, I hadn't thought about that. Mortlock comparatively fresh might be tough for JO'C, but does Tapatu offer enough in attack?
    He certainly doesn't offer as much as O'Connor, and maybe Sam Harris would be another option there, but I believe Tatapu will grow into being another Junior Pelesasa. Whether that will be this coming season or the one after it, he'll start making a bigger impact. By next year Mortlock will probably only be effective for 60 minutes so maybe the plan would be keep someone strong in defense at 12 until the last 15-20 minutes and slot JO'C there to exploit a tired opposition defense.

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Gee u have me thinking big time James that team looks abit shakey without Sharpie i recon JM will go with the Wallaies at the back and let these new guys earn their stripes if anu Stanard will be there he was good at the end of last season I thought. We have the front row sorted thats a good start I think Sheps will go back to 15 if fit JOC wants to play 12 and that was part of his signing deal to learn of Andre?? time will tell
    Sam Harris never heard of him????
    I thought that a bit at first too but I think we would cope without him- so long as it wasn't for the whole season.

Sam Harris used to play for the Waratahs. He's also spent some time in Japan and in NRL. I've watched him a few times in the Shute Shield but never really paid attention to him before that. He's more of a 12 than a 10. He has some ball playing skills but I'm not sure about his ability to control a game. He's fairly big though (103kgs) and fits the inside centre role quite well. Not brilliant but definitely not bad and has a few strings to the bow. I would replace him with Tatapu only that would make two new Force players in the 10 and 12 spots (along with Sheehan likely to be in at 9) and they might not click with the game plan so well.

Player
    vCash
    Harris and Sheehan play at 9 and 10 for Warringah, so they would definitely click very rapidly :-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast